Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2014, 06:14 AM

13,400 posts, read 28,719,321 times

Advertisements

Just finished The Husband's Secret Meh!! I didn't think it was all that great. Hated the ending and the epilogue even more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 06:51 AM

19 posts, read 21,942 times
Been reading the book 1984. I've only made it to page 30 but I like it so far. I usually read when I'm on my lunch break at work or whenever I'm bored.

Old 05-21-2014, 07:28 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerafaith View Post
Just finished it this morning and while it had it's moments it mostly felt like she was just throwing things out there to finish the book and the series. There was a lot of new and rather useless information added in it. And to go from a phase to an acronym every 5 lines was really kinda annoying. But if you've already read the other 2 then you have to read this one just to see how the whole thing ends.
It looks like I will end up reading it but I'm not rushing it now

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Just finished The Husband's Secret Meh!! I didn't think it was all that great. Hated the ending and the epilogue even more.
I enjoyed that book sorry you didn't. Time to find a good one for you What's next on your list.

I have been slowly reading The Invention Of Wings and yay…I am so happy that I like it I may have to give The Secret Life Of Bees another try Sometimes books just don't click for us the first time around.

Old 05-21-2014, 08:49 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times
I am reading Dear Life, a short story collection by Alice Munro. I am also rereading an old favorite, Mountains Beyond Mountains by Tracy Kidder.

Old 05-21-2014, 09:27 AM

6,489 posts, read 8,810,279 times
Just finished The Skin Collector by Jeffrey Deaver and The Funeral Dress by Susan Gregg Gilmore. I'm currently reading The Fault in our Stars by John Green.

Old 05-21-2014, 09:22 PM

8,665 posts, read 5,844,099 times
Ghost Ship: The Mysterious True Story of the Mary Celeste and Her Missing Crew by Brian Hicks

http://www.amazon.com/Ghost-Ship-Mysterious-Celeste-Missing/dp/0345463919/ref=tmm_hrd_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1400728860&sr=1-1

Old 05-22-2014, 12:15 AM

8,495 posts, read 4,159,514 times
I attempted to read The Goldfinch (Donna Tartt) - I really tried but I couldn't get past the 2nd chapter. I started reading this book at the suggestion of a friend who recommended it highly. Also, I read all the reviews and it even won Donna Tartt a Pulitzer book prize. I'm not making this up, but I was reading it in bed and my eyes, at one point, must of glazed over because I lost focus and felt nauseated for an hour after. I think the big problem with this book is that it could of been a lot slimmer if large chunks of descriptive narration was done away with. I should of known better that I would not enjoy this book because about 20 years ago I tried to read The Secret History, another one of her books I couldn't complete.

I am choosing another book to read now and will look on this thread for possibilities.

Old 05-22-2014, 05:15 AM

13,400 posts, read 28,719,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
I attempted to read The Goldfinch (Donna Tartt) - I really tried but I couldn't get past the 2nd chapter. I started reading this book at the suggestion of a friend who recommended it highly. Also, I read all the reviews and it even won Donna Tartt a Pulitzer book prize. I'm not making this up, but I was reading it in bed and my eyes, at one point, must of glazed over because I lost focus and felt nauseated for an hour after. I think the big problem with this book is that it could of been a lot slimmer if large chunks of descriptive narration was done away with. I should of known better that I would not enjoy this book because about 20 years ago I tried to read The Secret History, another one of her books I couldn't complete.

I am choosing another book to read now and will look on this thread for possibilities.
You are not alone, I absolutely hated that book. I plugged on because I wanted to see what happened to the characters...plenty of fast fowarding through all that nauseating descriptive text.

I think this book is one of those either you loved it or hated it no in between.

Old 05-22-2014, 06:11 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
I attempted to read The Goldfinch (Donna Tartt) - I really tried but I couldn't get past the 2nd chapter.

You will find a lot of good books from this thread. Many of us have different opinions on the same books but there is something for everyone to enjoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
You are not alone, I absolutely hated that book. I plugged on because I wanted to see what happened to the characters...plenty of fast fowarding through all that nauseating descriptive text.

I think this book is one of those either you loved it or hated it no in between.
I have read a lot of reviews for that book and have decided to skip it. I don't mind descriptive but I hate longwinded, lol. I have heard that it drags and there are just to many other books out there not to enjoy all of it

Old 05-22-2014, 07:55 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
With about 30 pages to go, I just quit reading Max Barry's "Jennifer Government". I had looked forward to it, after reading his "Machine Man", which I quite l liked because of his pithy observations about human nature. But Jennifer just fell flat, built around cardboard cutouts, and I didn[t care how it ended or what happeend to any of the characters. (I don't read many books of that genre -- are those typical?)

Now, I started Alice Sebold's "The Lovely Bones", which is a wonderful book that I can't put down. I also checked out Seth Kantner's "Ordinary Wolves", which is next. (Thanks to MoonBeam33, for tipping me off to both of those.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books