Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2014, 03:45 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,242,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
okay well I picked up "The storied life of A.J. Fikry " by gabrielle zevin . So far it is pretty good and im liking it ..and I will come back and give a full review when I have finished .
I have a hold request on that book at the library. It looked interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2014, 10:00 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,145,919 times
Default Good books!

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
I have been so busy outside that I haven't had much time to read but I finally finished The Invention of Wings. I really really enjoyed it. I didn't know it was based on a real person. Now I will have to research her life a bit more

Last night I started The Girls He Adored by Jonathan Nasaw.
The Girls He Adored: Jonathan Nasaw: 9780671787455: Amazon.com: Books
Thanks for the really good book recommendations! I haven't even heard of Sue Monk Kidd's latest book-The Invention of Wings- till now, and it sounds really interesting. I read "The Secret of Bees" a few years ago and that was a very good read.

Old 05-24-2014, 06:07 AM

20,549 posts, read 30,342,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I finished the Greg Iles' book and it is disturbing. It is all the more disturbing because, in the afterword, he makes mention of it being based on real events. It is about the civil rights movement in the south.
Which book was that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
Thanks for the really good book recommendations! I haven't even heard of Sue Monk Kidd's latest book-The Invention of Wings- till now, and it sounds really interesting. I read "The Secret of Bees" a few years ago and that was a very good read.
I jumped on the Invention of Wings bandwagon kind of late here so I can't take the credit It is very good though….enjoy it.

Old 05-24-2014, 09:02 AM

7,263 posts, read 9,274,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Which book was that?
Natchez Burning. That is the second book in a month that was almost too real for me. The first book, although it was marketed as fiction, wasn't really since I knew the story behind it. I didn't post about it because I found it horrifying and I can't rate it objectively. And Natchez Burning - the whole time I was reading it, I was thinking that this sounded a little too real and then I came to the afterword, and he said he had based it on true cases.

And now I'm on The Rift but I know I have read it before. But even as I'm reading it, I have no memory of how it turns out. Which has me wondering if I ever finished it, or did I just read an excerpt somewhere? It is a book I like so I can't think why I would have not finished it.

Well, the book reading is going slow here too since summer finally came and all the yard work and the garden are needing to be done at once.

Old 05-25-2014, 04:21 AM

20,549 posts, read 30,342,663 times
I just finished The Girls He Adored which I thought was very good. I love getting into books about the minds of people.

Next up I will read The Truth About Forever which is a YA book.
The Truth about Forever (Teen's Top 10 (Awards)): Sarah Dessen: 9780670036394: Amazon.com: Books

Old 05-25-2014, 05:48 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,829,089 times
Could not stick with Ghost Ship: The Mysterious True Story of the Mary Celeste and Her Missing Crew by Brian Hicks. It was not at all as engaging or gripping as I expected it to be.There was far,far too much history about the captain Briggs family,so that I got too bored with reading about the captain,to muddle through to find out if there is actually any story here about the ship! [YAWN]

Now I am ready to begin....

Hawks Rest: A Season in the Remote Heart of Yellowstone by Gary Ferguson
Beginning with his hundred-mile hike to reach the Lower 48's most remote place, Ferguson gives us a fascinating, personal account of three months living alone in the wilderness - a summer spent monitoring grizzly bears and wolf packs in Hawks Rest, the heart of the greater Yellowstone ecosystem.

Hoping that it will be far more interesting!

Last edited by i_love_autumn; 05-25-2014 at 06:12 AM..

Old 05-25-2014, 08:29 AM

13,384 posts, read 28,670,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
If you are ordering the Kindle version just make sure it's not the Oprah one or you have all her comments etc popping up with NO control. I had preordered this book and loudly complained to Amazon and they swapped the Oprah version out for the non Oprah.

In an actual print book I guess her notes wouldn't be to bad as they can't just pop out at you.I don't need Oprah to tell me how I should think or how to understand the book.

It was a good read once I received the normal version.

Old 05-25-2014, 08:56 AM

6,904 posts, read 7,571,317 times
I LOATHE Oprah's interference with books. When Jonathan Franzen refused to have her imprint all over The Corrections years ago I went out and bought 6 copies of his book. She has made enough money off of silly people that she didn't need to go sticking her nose into other people's work. I wonder, for those authors who capitulated and got her giant stamp on their book's cover, if it was worth the additional sales?

For those of you who like non-fiction and natural history, I have one to recommend: Northern Borders by Howard Frank Mosher. It is about growing up in northern Vermont, and was published back in 1994. I'm not much of one for non-fiction, but I LOVED this one.

Old 05-25-2014, 02:39 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,028,253 times
Okay skip " The storied life of A J Fikry " it was boring and it skipped around a lot . It was a dull read and Im not sorry I read it , cause you don't know until you read something ....Oh well on to the next one now that the weather is nice Im out running more and hitting the yoga class more so not that much time for reading .

Old 05-25-2014, 08:48 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,145,919 times
Default Kindle

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
If you are ordering the Kindle version just make sure it's not the Oprah one or you have all her comments etc popping up with NO control. I had preordered this book and loudly complained to Amazon and they swapped the Oprah version out for the non Oprah.

In an actual print book I guess her notes wouldn't be to bad as they can't just pop out at you.I don't need Oprah to tell me how I should think or how to understand the book.

It was a good read once I received the normal version.
Thanks for the heads up about the different Kindle versions! I was planning on reading the actual print book - I don't have a Kindle right now but I've been wondering how they were like. Kindle doesn't sound so great if they can pop up comments, that is annoying. I like Oprah but I don't want to read her thoughts and comments because we have our own minds. I am glad that the Kindle offers different versions of the same book though - I would order my book the non-Oprah version, too LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books