Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2014, 11:43 AM

8,495 posts, read 4,145,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel's mom View Post
After finishing volume three "Voyager" of the Outlander series I'm already halfway through Hanni Muenzer's "Honigtot" (translated as Honey Death). I don't know if it was issued in English. At first I thought it had a strange writing style and didn't like it at all but it turned out to be a real page turner. It's about an opera singer married to a Jewish doctor in times of Nazi Germany. It's such a sad story.
This sounds like a very good book - I will check it out! I used to wonder what I will read next, now all I have to do is visit the What book are you reading? thread. Thank you and have great Memorial Day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2014, 09:22 PM

48,436 posts, read 34,663,896 times
I'm half way through The Keep by F. Paul Wilson and it's mesmerizing. World War II, Romania, Turks, Gypsies, Jews and a vampire thrown in. It's definitely going in a different direction than regular vampire novels and I love the historical aspects of it.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-26-2014, 10:00 PM

4,039 posts, read 2,901,644 times
My last two books were "Fatal Grace" by Louise Penny and "Notes from a Small Island" by Bill Bryson. I loved "Fatal Grace" and am currently reading "Still Life" also by Louis Penny. Both books -- murder mysteries -- are set in Three Pines, a small community outside of Montreal. Penny creates entirely believable and interesting recurring characters including Chief Inspector Gamache, and her writing is scrumptious. "Notes from a Small Island" was wonderful -- full of humor, affection and whimsy -- and I can picture carrying it with me around the British Isles, seeking out the places he described so well. Bryson is an American who lived in the British Isles for 20+ years and this is a book he researched and wrote before heading back to the US. A very easy and interesting read.

Old 05-27-2014, 03:23 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,376,175 times
I finished Hanni Muentzer's "Honigtot" (translated as Honey Death). It was very very good. I love historic fiction when the facts of times gone are packed in a gripping story. Usually I prefer medieval time or Tudor times. But also WWII is very interesting. It is beyond my thinking how cruel these times were and how the minds of people worked in these days...

Now I'm reading "Drums of Autumn", volume four of the Outlander Series by Diana Gabaldon. LOVE IT!!!

Old 05-27-2014, 05:29 AM

20,549 posts, read 30,342,663 times
Watchers by Dean Koontz.

Old 05-27-2014, 12:23 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,414,950 times
Not quite halfway through The Emperor of Ocean Park, Stephen L Carter. He writes well and I want to know how it ends. Occasionally, I skip a few lines when he seems bogged down with detail, but it doesn't happen often. Carter is AA and the protagonist is AA. I think it's interesting that other AAs are referred to as being from the darker nation and also reading his take on being black. It's a subject brought up so often on C-D. He's been a Yale law professor over 30 years and has written several books. I'll be reading more of his work.

Old 05-27-2014, 01:19 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,840,398 times
Yesterday I started reading: Tom Horn, Blood on the Moon, Dark History of the Murderous Cattle Detective. The book is written by Chip Carlson. I read the first 4 chapters. The book details the life of Tom Horn and his career as cattle detective and Indian scout and the infamous murder of 14 year old Willie Nickell which I believe Horn did not commit. He was set-up. The book will help me decide what might have happened I suppose.

-Cheers.

Old 05-27-2014, 02:51 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,812,766 times
Just finished last night Decision for Disaster by Grayston Lynch regarding the Bay of Pigs.

Started Carrier Operations in World War II by David Brown.

Old 05-27-2014, 06:46 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,363,953 times
I was about half way through The Goldfinch but needed a break from it so I downloaded Natchez Burning by Greg Iles. I expect that I will finish it before returning to The Goldfinch again.

Old 05-27-2014, 09:18 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,913,982 times
Another long weekend with the in-laws is complete and I have Alice Munro and her delightful short stories to thank for the distraction! Each of her stories leaves me satisfied, yet wishing for more (I realize that is a contradiction, but it is true).

I tried Glennon Doyle Melton's Carry On, Warrior but it just did not work for me. I have encountered her Momastery blog in the past and found it entertaining and often/occasionally meaningful, but smushing a bunch of mommy-centric blogs together just does not make a book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books