Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2014, 09:15 PM

30,385 posts, read 16,110,197 times

Advertisements

just finished the Fire Within by Chris d'Lacey. One of the main characters was 11-written for that age level, but I enjoyed it.

Made me believe in dragons for a bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 04:57 AM

20,549 posts, read 30,342,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
just finished the Fire Within by Chris d'Lacey. One of the main characters was 11-written for that age level, but I enjoyed it.

Made me believe in dragons for a bit.
Aww..that sounds sweet. My DH and I are taking our granddaughter to see How To Train Your Dragon 2

Old 05-29-2014, 11:23 AM

42,579 posts, read 86,799,994 times
I'm giving Alice Sebold's "The Lovely Bones" a grade of A. Very nice book, no more than the usual number of plot defects, which are impossible to avoid in a story that deviates from known science.

I don't read reviews until after I've read the book. I did not find the book "disturbing" in any way whatsoever, nor any hint of what The New Yorker called her "fixation on terror". I have no idea what those reviewers are talking about.

Old 05-29-2014, 11:29 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,342,130 times
I am reading eleanor & park and I am really enjoying it. I borrowed The Rape of Nanking from the library, but after looking at the pictures, I just don't know if I will be able to stomach reading it. I also got 2 by Susan Gregg Gilmore (author of The Funeral Dress which I enjoyed) and they are The Improper Life of Bezellia Grove and Looking for Salvation at the Dairy Queen. Since they both sounded good and both were available at the library, I checked them both out.

Old 05-30-2014, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
I am reading eleanor & park and I am really enjoying it.

I have that on my list. I may order that on my next library round

Old 05-30-2014, 07:23 AM

I just finished Watcher by Dean Koontz….I loved it. If you like thriller type books and dogs you should try it

Last night I started The Round House by Louise Erdrich.
The Round House: A Novel: Louise Erdrich: 9780062065254: Amazon.com: Books

Old 05-30-2014, 07:28 AM

13,384 posts, read 28,670,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
I am reading eleanor & park and I am really enjoying it. I borrowed The Rape of Nanking from the library, but after looking at the pictures, I just don't know if I will be able to stomach reading it. I also got 2 by Susan Gregg Gilmore (author of The Funeral Dress which I enjoyed) and they are The Improper Life of Bezellia Grove and Looking for Salvation at the Dairy Queen. Since they both sounded good and both were available at the library, I checked them both out.
I have it downloaded and not sure if I will be able to get through it either

Old 05-30-2014, 10:49 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,242,784 times
I've finished Election by Tom Perrotta. It's my fourth Perrotta book. Obviously, one of my favorite authors.

The Fault in our Stars by John Green. A heartwarming story. I will read more books by John Green

The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin. I loved this book. Zevin is predominantly a YA author, but this an adult novel. A great summer read. It is delightful, charming and thoroughly enjoyable. Both humorous and sad at the same time. Excellent writing, wonderful story and Zevin paints beautifully drawn characters. The novel has been compared to The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society, The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry and Major Pettigrew's Last Stand. The latter I really enjoyed. I have the Harold Fry book on my kindle but, as yet, unread.

"Why is any one book different from any other book? They are different, A.J. decides, because they are. We have to look inside many. We have to believe. We agree to be disappointed, sometimes so that we can be exhilarated every now and again."

I put aside the The Ghost Map by Stephen Johnson for the time being. It's summertime, and I'm not in the mood for all the technical data contained in the book.

Old 05-30-2014, 11:33 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,913,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin. I loved this book. Zevin is predominantly a YA author, but this an adult novel. A great summer read. It is delightful, charming and thoroughly enjoyable. Both humorous and sad at the same time. Excellent writing, wonderful story and Zevin paints beautifully drawn characters. The novel has been compared to The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society, The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry and Major Pettigrew's Last Stand. The latter I really enjoyed. I have the Harold Fry book on my kindle but, as yet, unread.

"Why is any one book different from any other book? They are different, A.J. decides, because they are. We have to look inside many. We have to believe. We agree to be disappointed, sometimes so that we can be exhilarated every now and again."
So weird. I just saw this book as an Amazon recommendation and clicked over to this thread to see if anyone had mentioned it!

Old 05-30-2014, 11:46 AM

6,904 posts, read 7,571,317 times
OMG - I just finished To Rise Again at a Decent Hour by Joshua Ferris. I can't believe I actually read the whole thing. Why did I? Gak! I LOVED his first book Then We Came to the End. And I find his style very funny. But To Rise was . . . gak! I hate books that use religion as a thematic crutch.

I'll never look at dentists the same way again, though. Time to go floss! And I think I'm going to buy a water pik.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books