Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2014, 11:54 AM

4,793 posts, read 2,787,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
I am reading eleanor & park and I am really enjoying it. I borrowed The Rape of Nanking from the library, but after looking at the pictures, I just don't know if I will be able to stomach reading it. I also got 2 by Susan Gregg Gilmore (author of The Funeral Dress which I enjoyed) and they are The Improper Life of Bezellia Grove and Looking for Salvation at the Dairy Queen. Since they both sounded good and both were available at the library, I checked them both out.

Yeah, very heavy-duty reading. There were heroes and villains, and once you read through it, you'll understand why China is still seething at Japan. It's an informative book, but not for you if you're prone to nightmares.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 12:15 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,242,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
I am reading eleanor & park and I am really enjoying it. I borrowed The Rape of Nanking from the library, but after looking at the pictures, I just don't know if I will be able to stomach reading it. I also got 2 by Susan Gregg Gilmore (author of The Funeral Dress which I enjoyed) and they are The Improper Life of Bezellia Grove and Looking for Salvation at the Dairy Queen. Since they both sounded good and both were available at the library, I checked them both out.
I put these on my list. Might be good summertime reading

Old 05-30-2014, 01:51 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,324,934 times
The Good Life: The Moral Individual in an Antimoral World by Cheryl Mendelson

The title has the potential to mislead. It is not a treatise by a political ideologue from either side of the aisle. Subtle and thought-provoking.

Scotland: the Autobiography by Rosemary Goring

Old 05-30-2014, 02:54 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,403,278 times
Finished re-reading The Martian Child by David Gerrold.

About a single gay man who writes science fiction for a living and decides he wants to adopt a son. Then the little boy says he's from Mars.

The original novelette (published in the Magazine of F&SF) won the 1994 Nebula, the 1995 Hugo, a Locus Award and a HOMer Award. It was nominated for the Theodore Sturgeon award. Then David made it into a novel. Years later, they made it into a movie that was almost unrecognizable.

The book is 'semi-autobiographical', I know the author and his 'Martian', and years later the book still makes me laugh and cry.

Old 06-01-2014, 07:21 AM

757 posts, read 1,022,673 times
Did anyone read The Book Thief and watch the movie as well? What is your opinion? Does the movie adaptation live up to the original story from the book? I'm curious to know.

Old 06-01-2014, 10:39 AM

4,793 posts, read 2,787,579 times
Default Hello to all that

In spite of the gods - the strange rise of modern India - Edward Luce, Doubleday, NY c 2007. Map, photos, notes, index. 356pp. History from 1947, India, Pakistan, Congress Party, Nehru, Ghandi, Indira Ghandi, the Brits, Hindustan, Soviets, the US. V. interesting, easy to read. A hair-raising look @ internal Indiapolitics, caste, class, religions, cultures, imagined cultures, imagined histories. Cf. to China. Lots of internal contradictions to India. Luce, British, lived in India 5 years, married a local. WADC bureau chief forthe Financial Times.

I picked this up again at the library and didn't recognize the cover. I was looking for info on incoming PM Modi - Luce covers Modi, his party, Gujarat. Good background/primer on India.

Old 06-02-2014, 06:51 AM

13,384 posts, read 28,670,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
I was about half way through The Goldfinch but needed a break from it so I downloaded Natchez Burning by Greg Iles. I expect that I will finish it before returning to The Goldfinch again.
How was it? I was thinking of ordering for my Kindle, then some of the reviews on Amazon said it was long winded and too desciptive and nightmares of trying to get through The Goldfinch sufaced...lol

Old 06-02-2014, 08:05 AM

A friend of mine, a bookseller, has raved about Goldfinch. He thought it was the best writing he's ever encountered.

Old 06-02-2014, 09:16 AM

13,384 posts, read 28,670,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
A friend of mine, a bookseller, has raved about Goldfinch. He thought it was the best writing he's ever encountered.
For certain people it was. I am the type reader where I don't need pages and pages of text to describe something, you start to lose me. Had the characters not been so interesting and wanting to see what happened, I forced myself and much fast fowarding of pages to finish the book.

Old 06-02-2014, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
For certain people it was. I am the type reader where I don't need pages and pages of text to describe something, you start to lose me. Had the characters not been so interesting and wanting to see what happened, I forced myself and much fast fowarding of pages to finish the book.
I'm holding off, because I'm not in the right frame of mind for Goldfinch. Maybe later this summer. I picked up The Aviator's Wife this week, which I think is more along the lines of what I can tackle right now. I'm feeling scattered, so heavy and long is just too much for my brain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books