Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2014, 10:35 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,028,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I'm holding off, because I'm not in the right frame of mind for Goldfinch. Maybe later this summer. I picked up The Aviator's Wife this week, which I think is more along the lines of what I can tackle right now. I'm feeling scattered, so heavy and long is just too much for my brain.

I read "The Aviators Wife " and I wont say what I thought of it until you come back and tell us what you throught of it . I need to pick up this book at the library it is supposed to be about letters that Benjamin franklin and his sister wrote to each other and I will come back when I finish it and tell you all what I thought of it like I always do .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2014, 12:21 PM

48,436 posts, read 34,663,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Crusoe View Post
Did anyone read The Book Thief and watch the movie as well? What is your opinion? Does the movie adaptation live up to the original story from the book? I'm curious to know.
I saw the movie after I read the book. I found the book better, but I always do. I DO think they did a good job with the movie though.

Right now I'm reading Solar by Ian McEwen and I'm loving the writing. I didn't realize the subject matter until after I started reading (climate change), so I'm not so sure about that part.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-02-2014, 12:38 PM

7,345 posts, read 5,462,558 times
Recently I have read:

The Age of Miracles by Karen Thompson Walker. It's a fiction story narrated by a young teen girl about what happens when the earths gravity and spin on its axis slows down. So I guess this one was a sci-fi novel. It kept my interest.

Finding Me. By Michelle Knight. She was one of the girls held hostage for 12 years in Ohio. This was hard to read. The abuse her and the other two girls went through was terrible. So if you are bothered by stories like this I would not read this book. I happened to like factual stories about survival so I liked the book.

Etched in Sand. By Regina Calcaterra. Here again is another true story of child abuse and the welfare and foster care system was hard to read. The author's spirit and how she survived and became a successful person was amazing. This book, as well as Finding Me, I could not put down.

Old 06-02-2014, 05:29 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,242,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I saw the movie after I read the book. I found the book better, but I always do. I DO think they did a good job with the movie though.

Right now I'm reading Solar by Ian McEwen and I'm loving the writing. I didn't realize the subject matter until after I started reading (climate change), so I'm not so sure about that part.
McEwan is one of my favorite authors. He never disappoints. Solar is on my list.

Old 06-02-2014, 06:03 PM

48,436 posts, read 34,663,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
McEwan is one of my favorite authors. He never disappoints. Solar is on my list.
This is the first I've read from him and I really like how he writes. Which is a good thing because I have all his other books.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-03-2014, 04:21 AM

20,549 posts, read 30,342,663 times
I just finished The Round House by Louise Erdrich. It was good but it dragged a bit for me.
It is about an Indian boy coming of age in North Dakota in the 80's. His mother is raped and the book shows how it affects the family and the community. The biggest thing I got from the book is how bad the Native American legal system is. Our legal system is corrupt and broken but the Native Americans have it even worse.

Last night I started Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline. I have read some other books about Orphan Trains and they were based on real children and events. This one is a fictional story about an older woman who was an orphan on one of the trains back in the 20's. Current day she is 91 and meets up with an orphan(foster child) from today who is 17. Even though some of the reviews were not the best for this book, I am loving it

Old 06-03-2014, 07:21 AM

757 posts, read 1,022,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I have the same bias myself. The art and craft of writing is sometimes hard to be translated into visual images especially when there is a time limit like most movies do, or else the director would have to make a trilogy out of one book.

I thinks the story is wonderful, very touching in an innocent way. It tells the story from the other side of the fence which is rare I find. The personification of death and narrative through this abstract character is interesting especial when Mr. Death is so haunted and fascinated by human. I didn't know it is classified as young adult. I think many adults can really appreciate it. I'd certainly recommend The Book Thief to young readers. It gives a brief background of the dark side of WWII without dwelling deep into it.

Old 06-03-2014, 09:03 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,525,585 times
Hi Everyone. I'm currently reading Marion Meade's "Dorothy Parker: What fresh hell is this?" (Biography), but I actually popped in to share this with you, because it so well identifies how I would LIKE to be but can't seem to allow it. Hope you all have a nice summer.

Old 06-03-2014, 10:56 AM

20,549 posts, read 30,342,663 times
Funny LFM

Here's another one

Old 06-03-2014, 11:01 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,342,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Last night I started Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline. I have read some other books about Orphan Trains and they were based on real children and events. This one is a fictional story about an older woman who was an orphan on one of the trains back in the 20's. Current day she is 91 and meets up with an orphan(foster child) from today who is 17. Even though some of the reviews were not the best for this book, I am loving it
I loved [i]Orphan Train[i]. It is one I will definitely re-read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books