Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2014, 07:40 PM

30,286 posts, read 51,848,991 times

Advertisements

Currently reading (mostly listening via audiobook) I'm a Stranger Here Myself by Bill Bryson, another of my book club selections. It has some good stuff, but is a bit outdated now - didn't realize how old it was when I picked it - and certain chapters don't particularly appeal/apply to me.

Not sure when I last responded to this thread, so I'll add that I recently read The Chaperone by Laura Moriarty and really enjoyed it! Have I also mentioned that I loved Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock (Matthew Quick) and The Snow Child (Eowyn Ivey)? If so, I apologize for the repeats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 07:12 AM

20,549 posts, read 30,342,663 times
I just started Me Before You by Jojo Moyes'. So far it is OK. It is a highly rated YA book. We'll see.

Old 06-06-2014, 11:32 AM

48,436 posts, read 34,663,896 times
I'm trying to decide. I started Sister Carrie, but I'm not sure I'm not sure I'm in the mood for a "the great American novel", I'm leaning more towards something light and easy. A good science fiction or fantasy.....

Solar was EXCELLENT and I love the writer and will definitely read the rest of his books. I usually don't do well when all characters are unlikable, but this worked. I loved that I had to look up tons of words (thank you kindle), but it wasn't like he was sitting there getting use out his thesaurus, they were appropriate in content and the cadence of the sentence.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-07-2014, 09:28 AM

7,263 posts, read 9,276,428 times
I started The Age of Miracles which someone here mentioned - thanks to you, whoever you are. I have not read much in it, but it seems to be a good book.

Old 06-07-2014, 10:09 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,913,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I started The Age of Miracles which someone here mentioned - thanks to you, whoever you are. I have not read much in it, but it seems to be a good book.

We read this for my book club and I really enjoyed it. It was one of those books that I never would have chosen on my own as it isn't "my genre", but I'm so glad that someone chose it for me. Thought provoking, for sure.

Old 06-07-2014, 10:36 AM

17,330 posts, read 32,960,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
We read this for my book club and I really enjoyed it. It was one of those books that I never would have chosen on my own as it isn't "my genre", but I'm so glad that someone chose it for me. Thought provoking, for sure.
I noticed it when it first came out and my first thought -- and every thought about it thereafter -- was "not for me." But I got it based on the two of YOU liking it. I don't know when I'll read it, but I have it "in stock" now.

Old 06-07-2014, 12:08 PM

2,416 posts, read 2,016,305 times
'An Officer and a Spy' by Robert Harris - based around the Dreyfus affair. For anyone interested in well researched and compelling 'historical' novels - I'd also recommend Imperium, Pompeii, Fatherland by the same author.

Old 06-07-2014, 01:02 PM

48,436 posts, read 34,663,896 times
I settled on Heinlein's Starship Troopers. It's a perfect read for me right now.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-07-2014, 02:01 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,403,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I settled on Heinlein's Starship Troopers. It's a perfect read for me right now.
Just finished re-reading Podkaye of Mars

With the original ending.
Cried again.

Old 06-07-2014, 03:14 PM

4,793 posts, read 2,787,008 times
Default On the bounce, trooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post

Yes! The movies were interesting, caught the attitude of the book, but they skimped on the combat suits. The Edge of Tomorrow - the Tom Cruise vehicle - looks like they spent the money on the suits & the other SFX, as well as the talent.

Only time will tell how they did with this latest effort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books