Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2014, 04:49 AM

20,549 posts, read 30,338,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiKate View Post
Just finished one of Lee Child's Jack Reacher books (I always enjoy them) and will start another of Alexander McCall Smith's No 1 Ladies Detective Agency novels, "The Limpopo Academy of Private Detection". I'm on a light summer reading kick right now and this will do nicely.
I've read about 3 of the Jack Reacher books. I just got the first one of the series

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
Cold In July by Joe Lansdale. Gritty Texas thriller with lots of twists and turns and some great southern dialogue.
Just made into a movie with Michael Hall and Don Johnson.
Sounds good thanks.

I started Whale Talk last night. It's about a group of unlikely misfits who start up a new school swim team. Maybe like The Breakfast Club kind of thing

I will be starting Indigo Slam by Robert Crais later today. I love Robert Crais books
Indigo Slam: An Elvis Cole Novel: Robert Crais: 9780345435644: Amazon.com: Books
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2014, 09:47 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,826,592 times
Haunted by James Herbert was a good ghost story,but I did not care for the ending at all.

Next up~Dancing at the Rascal Fair by Ivan Doig...
The central volume in Ivan Doig's acclaimed Montana trilogy, Dancing at the Rascal Fair is an authentic saga of the American experience at the turn of this century and a passionate, portrayal of the immigrants who dared to try new lives in the imposing Rocky Mountains. Ivan Doig's supple tale of landseekers unfolds into a fateful contest of the heart between Anna Ramsay and Angus McCaskill, walled apart by their obligations as they and their stormy kith and kin vie to tame the brutal, beautiful Two Medicine country.

Old 06-10-2014, 02:08 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,771,669 times
As usual, I am working my way through more than one book at present but I've kept the number down to what I consider ideal - one fiction and one non-fiction (I like to bounce back and forth between fantasy and reality in my reading).

Philip Roth's The Ghost Writer
With Roth, the story - though always delightfully insightful and engaging - hardly matters, because the writing is so sublime.

Steven Pinker's The Better Angels of our Nature: Why Violence Has Declined
This fascinating book - one of the best I've read in a long time, and I've read some wonderful non-fiction as of late - chronicles the millennia-long trend in decreasing rates of violence and the wider causes of that downward trend.

I recommend both of these books highly.

Old 06-10-2014, 04:04 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,787,669 times
I am reading The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood. Man, this book is depressing so far (22% in). Nevertheless, Margaret Atwood's prose is exemplary.

Old 06-10-2014, 04:59 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,019,525 times
well I pick up " The age of Miracles " tomorrow at the library I hope it is as good as everyone says also going to pick up the movie "labor day with Josh Brolin (what a hunk just like his dad in his day yummy ) LOL ...yes im showing my age LOL ..

Old 06-10-2014, 05:58 PM

48,436 posts, read 34,636,835 times
I forgot how much I love Heinlein. A very profound book about government and the military, and I'm not even sure how the movie came from the book, I would imagine he would be very disappointed.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-10-2014, 06:10 PM

4,623 posts, read 12,258,836 times
Affluence & Influence

It is about a long term study of how the wealthy drive political outcomes in our democracy. An explanation of how the Golden Rule works in America. It's been a hard read for me so far, but I'll never put one down. If I learn one thing it is worth it. It's on a Kindle which isn't my favorite way to read.

Old 06-10-2014, 07:15 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,922,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
I am reading The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood. Man, this book is depressing so far (22% in). Nevertheless, Margaret Atwood's prose is exemplary.
Read this when it was first published - '86 I think - and have read it twice since. It's a frightening premise but the story is so beautifully written you get past it.

I remember seeing the movie with Faye Dunaway and Robert Duvall and that was chilling!

Enjoy.

Old 06-10-2014, 08:48 PM

4,793 posts, read 2,784,751 times
Default Gone with the viento

The Spanish frontier in North America/ David J. Weber. New Haven : Yale University Press, c1992. xx, 579 p. :ill., maps. Includes bibliographical references (p. 491-553) and index. V. good, comprehensive. Especially Spain in SE US, LA, up the Mississippi River to Memphis, etc. Up Atlantic and Pacific coasts. Lots of evangelization/acculturation in SE US.
Good coverage of the border problems for Spain, Mexico. Lots of internal contradictions between urban/rural, centralized admin and far-flung missions/colonies/military outposts; trade and fortune-hunting. Steady decline of Native American populations under Spanish/Mexican rule. Problems with British, French and ultimately US government/colonists/ military.

Old 06-10-2014, 11:18 PM

15,893 posts, read 18,269,304 times
Jodi Picoult's next book, Leaving Time, is due out later this year.

Right now there is a short story titled Where There is Smoke available as a free kindle download on amazon. The short story is an introduction to one of the characters in Leaving Time. It's only 40 pages in length and it is quite good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books