Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2014, 01:36 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,360,492 times

Advertisements

Just finished To Kill a Warlock ... laughed.
And finished Reaching Rocky Mountain Jim: A Novel Based on the True Life Stories of James Nugent and Isabella Bird ... laughed and cried.

Both Kindle freebies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2014, 01:38 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,778,702 times
Vol 3 of the Wimpy Kid Diaries

p.s. im 37

Old 06-17-2014, 02:54 PM

17,330 posts, read 32,858,882 times
The library had the Kindle version books 2 and 3 of the Call the Midwife trilogy available, but I got tired of waiting for volume 1, so I sucked it up and got a (GASP!) paper copy. I'll start on it tonight.

Old 06-17-2014, 04:39 PM

20,549 posts, read 30,275,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Just finished To Kill a Warlock ... laughed.
And finished Reaching Rocky Mountain Jim: A Novel Based on the True Life Stories of James Nugent and Isabella Bird ... laughed and cried.

Both Kindle freebies.
I just ordered To Kill a Warlock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekid View Post
Vol 3 of the Wimpy Kid Diaries

p.s. im 37
No problem there. I read a lot of YA and some children's books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
The library had the Kindle version books 2 and 3 of the Call the Midwife trilogy available, but I got tired of waiting for volume 1, so I sucked it up and got a (GASP!) paper copy. I'll start on it tonight.
I need to get that one.

Old 06-17-2014, 04:46 PM

99,009 posts, read 4,463,246 times
I'm reading Outwitting Trolls: A Brady Coyne Novel, by William Tapply. Apparently it will be the last of the highly enjoyable Brady Coyne series of books as Mr. Tapply passed away in 2009.

Old 06-17-2014, 04:52 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,886,906 times
I am waiting on Thirteen Clocks by James Thurber. Author Neil Gaiman is conducting an online "book club" through the Wall Street Journal and I thought I'd check it out.

Old 06-17-2014, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Update:

In the first chapter (after the Introduction), I thought I wouldn't be able to read the book. I'm squeamish and there was some stuff that was written that made me feel a bit queasy. But I kept going, hoping that the nausea would pass. It did. The book tells such an interesting story -- well, not a story; it's non-fiction (memoir) -- and it hasn't been as graphic as the first chapter was. (Note: These things will likely not be graphic to a "normal" person -- I'm ridiculously sensitive and squeamish. The thought -- just the thought! -- of a simple thing like a blood test leaves me light-headed.)

I'm already a third of the way through and I'm only disappointed that the rest of the week and weekend are going to be busy, so reading time will be scarce.

Thanks, Ketabcha, for encouraging me to read it. I'm already looking forward to books 2 and 3, but I doubt that I'll read the three in succession -- I think I'll want a break between them, to read something else. Maybe.

Old 06-18-2014, 09:33 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,330,358 times
Quote:
Update:

In the first chapter (after the Introduction), I thought I wouldn't be able to read the book. I'm squeamish and there was some stuff that was written that made me feel a bit queasy. But I kept going, hoping that the nausea would pass. It did. The book tells such an interesting story -- well, not a story; it's non-fiction (memoir) -- and it hasn't been as graphic as the first chapter was. (Note: These things will likely not be graphic to a "normal" person -- I'm ridiculously sensitive and squeamish. The thought -- just the thought! -- of a simple thing like a blood test leaves me light-headed.)

I'm already a third of the way through and I'm only disappointed that the rest of the week and weekend are going to be busy, so reading time will be scarce.

Thanks, Ketabcha, for encouraging me to read it. I'm already looking forward to books 2 and 3, but I doubt that I'll read the three in succession -- I think I'll want a break between them, to read something else. Maybe.
My only recommendation is don't start watching the series while you are reading. I tried to read while watching. Mistake (at least for me). I'm going to give a shot to reading again soon though. I love the series and I loved the book as I was reading it. It's just some small things are different between the two.

Old 06-18-2014, 09:33 AM

42,618 posts, read 86,577,260 times
Last night I got 20 pages into Stanislaw Lem's "Solaris", the Sci-fi classic that was made into a great Russian movie and a marginally tolerable American one. I'm not a sci-fi buff, but so far, I'm pleasantly surprised -- for 1960's futuristic Sci-fi, it is not at all laughably outdated. The author has complained that there is no good English translation of his book, but he didn't write in English, so what does he know? I think he was referring to fidelity to the story line.

It might be hard to find, but my college library has a treasure trove of old Sci-fi, probably donated over the years. "Solaris" might be worth looking for, even if you're not into Sci-fi.

Old 06-18-2014, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
My only recommendation is don't start watching the series while you are reading. I tried to read while watching. Mistake (at least for me). I'm going to give a shot to reading again soon though. I love the series and I loved the book as I was reading it. It's just some small things are different between the two.
It never even occurred to me. I'm not a big TV watcher at all. In fact, I just started watching Breaking Bad, at the request (okay, insistence!) of my boyfriend... and I'm only doing *that* because he starts an episode and says, "Ready????" I'm liking it a lot, but I don't gravitate to the TV like most people. (Oh, we're also watching Fargo -- the TV series, not the movie -- and that's totally enjoyable too.) But since he'd *never* watch Call the Midwife, I'll never watch it either. I'm sticking to the books and only the books.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books