Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2014, 07:58 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
My husband liked Midwives once he got past the screaming. I watched the series before I started the books and formed an opinion of the characters. I never finished the first book. Regarding TV dramas, the development of characters in Breaking Bad True Detective are unmatched. I liked the movie Fargo better than the TV series. The Wire is one of the best series ever shown on TV. I'm also a Mad Men addict for period drama, it has no equal IMHO.
You're the second (or third?) person to tell me that The Wire was the best TV series. I might have to look into that once I've finished Breaking Bad.

On the topic of books: I'm 20 pages away from finishing Call the Midwife (book 1). Good stuff. I'm not ready to start the second book, though. At least I don't think so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2014, 05:47 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
I'm about halfway through When Crickets Cry by Charles Martin. I glaze/skim over a few small parts but I do like it.

Old 06-19-2014, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
I'm about halfway through When Crickets Cry by Charles Martin. I glaze/skim over a few small parts but I do like it.

I really enjoyed this book. When Crickets Cry is a heartbreaking and touching story about a man who has left his past behind. He crosses paths with a young girl who has a heart of gold and needs him. It's about the big heart and faith of one little girl, the town who stands behind her and a man hiding from a painful past and who he is.

This is a Christian novel but it doesn't force the author's beliefs down your throat. Excellent read.

Next up:
Yellow Crocus by Laila Ibrahim

Old 06-19-2014, 04:09 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
I have just started "frog music " by emma Donoghue and I hope it is good .

Old 06-19-2014, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I have just started "frog music " by emma Donoghue and I hope it is good .
Enjoy it.

I want to read Room but I can't get it from my library yet.

Old 06-20-2014, 04:33 AM

I bawled my eyes out at the end of Yellow Crocus by Laila Ibrahim. I really liked this book.

OK…that's two books in a row that I cried. Time for something different. I'm going to the library today to browse around

Old 06-20-2014, 05:44 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Enjoy it.

I want to read Room but I can't get it from my library yet.
See I don't think I could read that Room book because of what happened in Cleaveland too close to home if you know what I mean Ugh !!! those poor women .

Old 06-20-2014, 08:34 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,328,467 times
As a 50 year old man I'm embarrassed to admit that I'm reading the sixth installment of the Mortal Instruments Series by Cassandra Claire called City of Heavenly Fire. I blame my ex on getting me hooked on these damn things, but I really do enjoy them. 18% in, and it's just as good as I expected it to be!

Old 06-20-2014, 08:39 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,328,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Just started reading The Passage by Justin Cronin. For some reason around this time of year I like to read post-apocalyptic fiction such as The Stand or Terry Brooks Shannara series. So far, The Passage is shaping up fairly well, it's already grabbed my attention to the point that I stayed up way too late reading last night.
I recently reread The Passage and The Twelve and really do love Cronin's writing style. I pray that the third installment comes out this year. He began writing these books for his daughter, because she wanted to read a book about a "girl that saves the world". They are really fascinating books!

Consider this a bump for a wonderful author.

Old 06-20-2014, 12:31 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
I finished Living with a Wild God by Barbara Ehrenreich a day or two ago.

At first, I was a bit disappointed in the book since it did not seem to be leading up to what the blurbs indicated. It was not the writing itself which disappointed me so I hope no one will think I am suggesting it isn't well written. It just seemed to be about something entirely different than I expected. http://www.amazon.com/Living-Wild-Go...pr_product_top

But Ehrenreich packs more meaning into each sentence than most writers pack into their entire books. My toes curled with the sheer pleasure of reading a sentence by her.

Then around page 100, it became clear that the book was indeed about what I thought the book would be about - it was just circular and not in a direction I expected, which again speaks to the very unique way Ehrenreich's mind works.

This is the memoir of a scientist and a seeker on a quest to understand everything. And I think this is a book that people will either love or hate. I don't think there will be any in betweens.

For some reason, jtur, I think this book might appeal to you. Anyone looking for a read that doesn't require the reader to put in some work probably shouldn't bother because this just isn't that kind of book.

Anyway, I have been floating through the days since I finished it and couldn't start another book immediately, because Ehrenreich's book was so intense that nothing would measure up. It rattled my bones. Tartt's writing struck me the same way when I finished her book - not in terms of the style or subject of the book, but in feeling a little lost, not knowing what other book to start to read.

I'll quote a bit from the book - so many lines to choose from, it's hard to know where to start.

"...And if communism meant a life totally managed by government and ruled by petty apparatchiks, what was the difference between communism and the life of a graduate student at Rockefeller University? The war (this is in reference to the Vietnam war, the beginning of Ehrenreich's awareness of the world) made no sense, and it was possible that the president hadn't been fully briefed..."

HAHAHA! Snort. She writes a letter to the president because she is an odd duck of a person who really believes that the president hadn't been fully briefed on why it wasn't a good idea to go to war in Vietnam.

In other place, describing someone: "He was just an odd bird; he even smelled odd, like ozone, as if he were accompanied everywhere by his own personal cloud of ions..."

HAHAHA! Pot, meet kettle. Because I had that funny ozone smell in my nose when I read this book. Not that that is a bad thing, but is was a true thing. Ehrenreich is very odd and a very beautiful writer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books