Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2014, 09:05 AM

1,765 posts, read 2,196,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I've never read that series, but saw the movie and can tell that I would like them. Nearing 50 and will admit to loving Harry Potter AND the Twilight books.

Judge away!!!
No judging here! I've never read Harry Potter, but last year I read ALL the Twilight Books and watched all the movies. I'm 55.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2014, 09:46 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
I am not being too successful with my next book choice.

I started Flipped by Wendelin Van Draanen. My stepdaughter loaned it to me awhile ago and I was in between books. Then yesterday I took my granddaughter to the Summer Reading program at my library and we got the Flipped DVD. We watched it last night and now I have no desire to read it

Then I was going to read The Other Story by Tatiana de Rosnay and then I read the reviews. I have to pass.

Next up I was going to read Conspiracies (Repairman Jack #3) by F. Paul Wilson but now I'm not sure if I need to read that series in order.

Soo….now I think I will give The Collector by Nora Roberts a try. Hopefully that one will click
Me too. I started a number of books last night, including Mr. Mercedes but I just didn't get anywhere with any of them. Of course, I am tired and busy too which probably doesn't help. But I enjoy being busy more when I know for a fact I have a book to dip into whenever I have a moment. When I don't, I feel a little panicked, wondering how long it will take me to find another book I can live in for a while.

Old 06-21-2014, 10:02 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Sounds like you are going through the reading circle like me and it seems like any book I pick up I hate here lately ..I guess we all go through this crap every once and a while .
I hate going through this. Fortunately I do have a pile of books and I will like some of them

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Me too. I started a number of books last night, including Mr. Mercedes but I just didn't get anywhere with any of them. Of course, I am tired and busy too which probably doesn't help. But I enjoy being busy more when I know for a fact I have a book to dip into whenever I have a moment. When I don't, I feel a little panicked, wondering how long it will take me to find another book I can live in for a while.
It's hard to read when you are tired. It sounds like you need a "light" getaway book. Typically I go back to old time authors I enjoy like Nora Roberts or Susan Mallery. They are always easy and fun reads.

Sometimes you just need to change it up a bit. Find a light read or a short YA book to enjoy.

Old 06-21-2014, 10:35 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,843,617 times
Have tried several times since 6/9 to get into Dancing at the Rascal Fair by Ivan Doig, but just couldn't get interested in it,so yesterday I started "Nothing Daunted: The Unexpected Education of Two Society Girls in the West by Dorothy Wickenden
In the summer of 1916, Dorothy Woodruff and Rosamond Underwood, bored by society luncheons, charity work, and the effete men who courted them, left their families in Auburn, New York, to teach school in the wilds of northwestern Colorado. They lived with a family of homesteaders in the Elkhead Mountains and rode to school on horseback, often in blinding blizzards. Their students walked or skied, in tattered clothes and shoes tied together with string. The young cattle rancher who had lured them west, Ferry Carpenter, had promised them the adventure of a lifetime. He hadn’t let on that they would be considered dazzling prospective brides for the locals.
Nearly a hundred years later, Dorothy Wickenden, the granddaughter of Dorothy Woodruff, found the teachers’ buoyant letters home, which captured the voices of the pioneer women, the children, and other unforgettable people the women got to know. In reconstructing their journey, Wickenden has created an exhilarating saga about two intrepid women and the “settling up” of the West.

I am totally loving it! Almost finished already,so I tried "Dancing at the Rascal Fair" again and it seemed more interesting last night. Maybe I will be able to get into it now?

Old 06-22-2014, 06:42 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
I'm reading Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell. It's a sweet little story about two misfits finding each other and falling in love. Nothing over the top but OK.

Old 06-22-2014, 05:05 PM

4,724 posts, read 4,415,751 times
Well I checked to see if this was posted about on here and didn't see it- so I am reading The Mapmaker's Daughter by Laurel Corona.
It was on my library's email of new(ish) books. I have become a very slow reader and a very infrequent reader so books take me a long time to get through. This one is really very intriguing- takes place in the late 1400's in Spain/Portugal and has lots of historical and religious references which I am finding very interesting. I am about halfway through.
I find lately I only read on the weekends and I am so busy with stuff that I just don't get to it. In any case, it's a reflection of me not the books.

Old 06-22-2014, 05:32 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
I'm reading T.C. Boyle's "Tortilla Curtain" but I have to keep putting it down -- it's well written but painful. Too real.

I think I am going to have to find something to escape into for awhile and then come back to it.

Old 06-23-2014, 03:00 AM

2,322 posts, read 923,011 times
Default Not enough hours in the day to read.

Before I Go To Sleep: A Novel
It's a psychological thriller by S.J. Watson.

I'm charging the kindle at this very moment so I can resume reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiluha View Post
No judging here! I've never read Harry Potter, but last year I read ALL the Twilight Books and watched all the movies. I'm 55.
LOL Ditto on Twilight. I am a fifty year old man and thoroughly enjoyed them all. Go Team Edward!

Old 06-23-2014, 03:15 AM

2,218 posts, read 3,452,259 times
I have two books going...one I read at work, Mr Mercedes, Steven King. The second "at home" book is Still Life with Bread Crumbs by Anna Quindlen.

Mr Mercedes is pretty good...very different for Steven King. This one is a murder mystery/detective story rather than a horror story.

I just finished The Husband's Secret....very good, highly recommend.

Old 06-23-2014, 09:49 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,429,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winrunner View Post
Before I Go To Sleep: A Novel
It's a psychological thriller by S.J. Watson.

I'm charging the kindle at this very moment so I can resume reading.
You can read while it's charging
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books