Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2014, 01:27 PM

42,618 posts, read 86,577,260 times

Advertisements

Through Part One of Arundhati Roy's "The God of Little Things". So far, just an account of Indian villagers whose chief claim to note is that they are dripping with metaphors and similes, but she is a clever and observant writer and does that well.

I finished Stanislaw Lem's "Solaris", which let me down somewhat toward the end. I was mainlly interested in the relationship between Kris and Ryeha, which by itself was a brilliant story idea that was carried fairly well.

It is purely coincidental that I read two books in a row with authors with 3-letter surnames, adding to Monica Ali (good) and Ha Jin (disasppointing). I also read Shan Sa (OK), probably exhausting that category. That's only her pen-name -- her real last name is Ni.

Last edited by jtur88; 06-23-2014 at 01:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2014, 05:18 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,886,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I'm reading T.C. Boyle's "Tortilla Curtain" but I have to keep putting it down -- it's well written but painful. Too real.

I think I am going to have to find something to escape into for awhile and then come back to it.
That is a powerful book that made me more sensitive to people who have entered our country through illegal means. It is painful from cover to cover, but I'm glad I read it.

Old 06-23-2014, 07:06 PM

15,893 posts, read 18,209,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
That is a powerful book that made me more sensitive to people who have entered our country through illegal means. It is painful from cover to cover, but I'm glad I read it.
Tortilla Curtain was so powerful and painful that I had to stop reading it about a third of the way through a couple of years ago. It exhausted me emotionally. I should give it another try. Maybe someday......

Old 06-23-2014, 07:31 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,886,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Tortilla Curtain was so powerful and painful that I had to stop reading it about a third of the way through a couple of years ago. It exhausted me emotionally. I should give it another try. Maybe someday......
Right after I read it I met a woman at the library who told me her book club had just read it and they were going to discuss it later that week. She invited me to come and I had such a strong desire to process the book with others who had read it that I went to a total stranger's house to crash a book club! They were total strangers, but I needed those ladies to help me wade through the emotions.

Old 06-23-2014, 08:10 PM

17,330 posts, read 32,858,882 times
So many of you are talking about Tortilla Curtain, I figured that I should chime in: I loved that book. I thought it was phenomenal.

Old 06-23-2014, 08:48 PM

15,893 posts, read 18,209,732 times
Quote:
Right after I read it I met a woman at the library who told me her book club had just read it and they were going to discuss it later that week. She invited me to come and I had such a strong desire to process the book with others who had read it that I went to a total stranger's house to crash a book club! They were total strangers, but I needed those ladies to help me wade through the emotions.
That is so ironic and so wonderful. Sometimes when we meet a brick wall that we just can't get past a book club filled with strangers can take down that wall. Oddly, something similar happened to me about 20 years ago. I don't even remember the name of the book but I wanted so much to discuss it and no one I knew had read it. Then I was called to jury duty and 2 women on the panel had read it. We were thankful for meal breaks so we could talk it out over the week we were on jury duty.

Old 06-23-2014, 09:15 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,492,547 times
Quote:
Yes, I know what you mean. I worked in Nogales, Sonora for a couple of years and got to see the plight of displaced Mexicans first hand, and lived in Tucson for 12 years (where they are treated much worse than the book describes). The problem for me is the attitudes of the whites in this book -- so smug and condescending and so aptly describing most of the people I encounter here in the PNW. It makes me ashamed to be white. Growing up in Michigan, itinerant pickers were a necessity to farmers and orchardists and we were GLAD to see them arrive. It's so sad to see what we've become in this country. We used to be decent, charitable people.

Quote:
I will return to it, simply because I have to know how he brings this all together. I am halfway into it and have already put it down once before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
So many of you are talking about Tortilla Curtain, I figured that I should chime in: I loved that book. I thought it was phenomenal.
Actually, it was your earlier rave about it that made me want to read it, Dawn -- and want to finish it, I must add.

For now though, I am taking a break with "The Lost City of Z: A Tale of Deadly Obsession in the Amazon,"
by David Grann. I just started it last night so I am not far into it but I am already hooked. A nonfictional, historic fantasy!

Old 06-23-2014, 11:05 PM

2,322 posts, read 918,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
You can read while it's charging
Funny thing is, I was reading while charging it. Then while taking a break, I remembered having seen this question on my subscribed forums feed and decided to put my two cents in. An hour later, I found myself looking up books mentioned in this thread to put on my books to read list and didn't get back to it

I must avoid reading anywhere near my laptop. The call of the internet is much too strong

Old 06-24-2014, 05:11 AM

4,472 posts, read 3,796,315 times
I just finished Desperate by Daniel Palmer. If you love the psychological thriller type books, you will love this book. Its full of twists and turns. Highly recommended.

Old 06-24-2014, 06:15 AM

13,366 posts, read 28,597,609 times
Quote:
Sounds interesting, will have to check it out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books