Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2014, 11:56 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,368,927 times

Advertisements

The Well-Dressed Ape: A Natural History of Myself” by Hannah Holmes (2008).
Almost halfway through, find it entertaining & educational, a little like Mary Roach's approach.
Sociology, psychology, biology, anthropology, rolled into one survey of the human animal (and how we adapt to wide range of environments),
akin to a field guide-but with a human touch, humor and wonder-not merely a detached clinical perspective.

Quote:
“Humans can sweat more than any other animal-nearly a gallon an hour, if need be.”
^You might be surprised at how important & useful that is.
Quote:
“Most humans prefer to settle for territories that are imperfect but reliable. Many other animals feel likewise.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2014, 06:12 AM

13,402 posts, read 28,721,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I really liked The Ocean at the End of the Lane! It was my first Neil Gaiman book and I thought it was clever, a little spooky, and fresh. I might have given some of the themes more meaning than the author intended, but it added to my enjoyment.
Pine tree and Lisa....just added that to my tbr list

Old 06-27-2014, 11:58 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,078,334 times
im reading "The dead in their vaulted arches " by alan Bradley it is the newest one in the flavia de luce novels

Old 06-27-2014, 02:15 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,368,927 times
In addition to the book I mentioned a couple posts ago,
today I got "Think Like A Freak" by the authors of Freakonomics (Stephen Dubner & Steven Levitt)
and picked up the new Stephen King, too.

All are due back at library in two weeks.
My reading "cup" runneth over

Old 06-27-2014, 02:31 PM

4,040 posts, read 2,907,737 times
I am reading Ulysses -- James Joyce and it is such a struggle. I have a friend who is a Joyce scholar and I feel I MUST understand why he and the literary world love it so much! Oy vey!

Old 06-27-2014, 02:35 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,449,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekid View Post
Vol 3 of the Wimpy Kid Diaries

p.s. im 37
I recently read all the "Harry Potter" books and am currently working my way through the "Anne of Green Gables" series-both for the first time, and until I did a mass purge of my house owned "The Twilight" series. I'm 40.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
You're the second (or third?) person to tell me that The Wire was the best TV series. I might have to look into that once I've finished Breaking Bad.
My best friend and I tore through "Breaking Bad." We only have the finale left, but are going to watch the series premiere again before we watch the finale. Our plan is to watch "The Wire" next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
I am not being too successful with my next book choice.
I went through this recently. I read several books in a row by my favorite authors and wasn't satisfied with any of them. It was getting rather discouraging!

I finished "The Hangman's Beautiful Daughter" by Sharyn McCrumb the other night, which I did read years ago. I felt parts of it seemed really familiar but couldn't remember how it ended. I'm usually a slow reader and pretty busy so to finish a paperback in 2 weeks is pretty fast for me.

I'm currently reading a 40-pg booklet on the Ingalls family and have James Patterson's "Kiss the Girls" waiting for me on my Kindle.

Old 06-27-2014, 03:04 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,236,488 times
so I started Ocean At The End Of The Lane lastnight and so far so good

Old 06-27-2014, 04:59 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,932,114 times
I'm looking forward to hearing from you Ocean at the End of the Lane readers. As I mentioned, I felt like there were meanings in some of the characters and events that my book club friends didn't see/agree about. Please let me know when you are done and ready to chat. In order not to spoil it for the on-going readers, maybe I should start a new thread...

Old 06-28-2014, 12:45 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,078,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I'm looking forward to hearing from you Ocean at the End of the Lane readers. As I mentioned, I felt like there were meanings in some of the characters and events that my book club friends didn't see/agree about. Please let me know when you are done and ready to chat. In order not to spoil it for the on-going readers, maybe I should start a new thread...
Im sorry I hated that book just made me ugh and almost throw up in several parts ..thanks and I hated it ...did not seem much redeeming quality in that book .

Old 06-28-2014, 01:17 PM

1,107 posts, read 2,278,451 times
I'm reading

How to Sit by Thich Nhat Hanh

The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd

Both very good so far
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books