Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2009, 03:13 PM

502 posts, read 2,293,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaGrace View Post
I LOVED that book. It was a book club book and I was like, "Ugh"...but I really really enjoyed it!
Good! I have a feeling it's going somewhere interesting and the reviews are great but I guess I have to keep reading to find out. By the way, I'm reading Life of Pi on a kindle, which I got on Mother's Day. Wonderful!!! LOVE THE KINDLE!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 03:31 PM

3,131 posts, read 11,627,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
I just started on the first one and have the 4th one checked out from the library. Are they best read in order? If so I'd better take 4 back.

you could probably read them out of order, but the characters do develop a relationship over-time..so in order is really best! I also just finished 8th confession.

I was also reading James Patterson's "maximum ride: the angel experiment"
with my 14 year old son. his teacher had the kids pick a book to read with parents and we both have to write and answer questions each week. I really enjoyed the book! and I am going to read the second one.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:41 AM

1,354 posts, read 4,082,103 times
Those of you reading on a Kindle--is it comfortable? I haven't gotten one yet because I am concerned it would give me a stiff neck or make my arms start to ache or something because of its being solid and not flexible like a paperback. How do you find this aspect of using it?

Old 05-20-2009, 12:02 PM

42,579 posts, read 86,764,762 times
"Lullaby" by Chuck Palahniuk ("Fight Club"). Seemed very amateiroshly written at firs, but I'm changing my mind about that.

---------

Just want to mention this, one the greatest quotes Ive ever seen. Just finished Brock Clarke's "Arsonist's Guide to Writers Homes in New England", a very entertaining but sometimes plodding book. Great quote from it:
"Evidence is just a more concrete form of wishful thinking"

Last edited by jtur88; 05-20-2009 at 12:18 PM..

Old 05-20-2009, 08:01 PM

837 posts, read 1,704,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
On my nightstand right now...

Governess: The Life and Times of the Real Jane Eyres by Ruth Brandon
This one sounds interesting--Amazon reviews of it are all over the place--Do you like it? Why? I love anything Victorian including history or the usual Austin, Trollope, Elliot, Brontes, etc., as well as the less-read, George Meredith.

Having finished Victorians (well possibly not every single one--but they're not writing any more!) I'm now reading "The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao" which gets rave reviews. But for the first several pages, I hated it. Now half-way through, it seems a genius (Junot Diaz) wrote it. Also, reading Penelope Lively's "Judgment Day".

--Agree "The Life of Pi" is wonderful.

Old 05-20-2009, 10:02 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,032,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treeluvr View Post
This one sounds interesting--Amazon reviews of it are all over the place--Do you like it? Why? I love anything Victorian including history or the usual Austin, Trollope, Elliot, Brontes, etc., as well as the less-read, George Meredith.
For me, it has been very engaging (I'm about 50 pages in), although I find the writing a bit disorganized and muddled at times. I've often found myself having to review previous pages to re-orient myself. The subject matter is fascinating, though, and well worth the effort.

Old 05-21-2009, 05:33 AM

2,538 posts, read 3,868,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella View Post
I'm at the beggining of Life of Pi. So far, I'm thinking okay so where are you going with this?

Hang in there, it's a good one!!!

Old 05-21-2009, 01:40 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,716,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
American Gods by Neil Gaiman
I read that one a few times. One of my favorite books! :]

Old 05-21-2009, 06:54 PM

837 posts, read 1,704,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
For me, it has been very engaging (I'm about 50 pages in), although I find the writing a bit disorganized and muddled at times. I've often found myself having to review previous pages to re-orient myself. The subject matter is fascinating, though, and well worth the effort.
Thanks for your opinion. It sounds like something I would like--will order it with next month's batch of books. (I'm a former Californian, too. )

Old 05-22-2009, 06:19 AM

13,032 posts, read 24,589,694 times
I am re-reading some of Orwell's "Essays" and as always it is a brilliant read. I also have a PG Wodehouse" Omnibus" on the go , one of my favourite comic authors ( and one Orwell did not like much ! ).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books