Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2014, 06:57 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,429,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber18 View Post
just dabbling in a California guide book
You want the heat?
I want the cool.

Trade ya
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2014, 08:06 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
I'm currently reading A Blessed Child by Linn Ullmann. It's a short book -- I'm already 25% in -- but I'll likely not be able to read for a bit since I have a bunch of "real life" (good) stuff going on. Too bad, in a way -- I'm enjoying the book. I found Linn Ullmann when I stumbled upon another of her books, Grace, which I enjoyed very much. She has a quiet way of writing that I enjoy, especially after the intensity of Defending Jacob.

Old 07-02-2014, 08:25 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I just finished it.

Whoa!

I wish that it had ended before the last two parts:

Spoiler

1. The girl disappearing in Jamaica.
2. The mother driving the car into the abutment.

but it was very, very well written and definitely a fascinating story.
Dawn - I can't remember, did you also read The Dinner?

If so, compare and contrast...

Old 07-02-2014, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
Dawn - I can't remember, did you also read The Dinner?

If so, compare and contrast...
I did, I did!

I read The Dinner when it first came out, so I can't remember it well. What I do remember is that the parents in The Dinner didn't ring true for me; the parents in Defending Jacob rang truer, although the father was a little over the top in his denial and involvement. I definitely liked the characters -- and the story -- of Defending Jacob more.

What about you?

Old 07-02-2014, 08:52 PM

The parents in The Dinner seemed motivated by protecting their own egos or futures where Jacob's parents were motivated initially by their blind love for their son. I think Jacob's mother was able to acknowledge the truth to herself, though it unraveled her.

I hated The Dinner. Absolutely hated it. Every single character was unlikable and I couldn't relate to anyone's motivations. At least in Defending Jacob, I felt like the parents, flawed though they were, acted from a place of love.

Old 07-02-2014, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
The parents in The Dinner seemed motivated by protecting their own egos or futures where Jacob's parents were motivated initially by their blind love for their son. I think Jacob's mother was able to acknowledge the truth to herself, though it unraveled her.

I hated The Dinner. Absolutely hated it. Every single character was unlikable and I couldn't relate to anyone's motivations. At least in Defending Jacob, I felt like the parents, flawed though they were, acted from a place of love.
I don't mind hating a character (or even all the characters) in a book. What I do mind is a story that isn't realistic. I like fiction stories that *could* be non-fiction, stories that could happen in real life. While I don't think that the Defending Jacob story was completely realistic (the father is the initial DA on the case, etc...), I agree that the parents' motivations were more pure. And, like you said, the parents in The Dinner were ridiculous and self-serving and, hence, completely unrealistic (at least to me). Do I think that the story in Defending Jacob could be a real-life story? No, not really; not much of it. At least I hope not. But it read truer than The Dinner.

Old 07-02-2014, 09:27 PM

8,665 posts, read 5,844,099 times
I just finished reading The Good Rain: Across Time & Terrain in the Pacific Northwest (Vintage Departures) by Timothy Egan and it is every bit as amazingly well written as his other book I've read by him!

The Worst Hard Time: The Untold Story of Those Who Survived the Great American Dust Bowl by Timothy Egan

The Good Rain: Across Time & Terrain in the Pacific Northwest: Timothy Egan: 9780394577241: Amazon.com: Books

The Worst Hard Time: The Untold Story of Those Who Survived the Great American Dust Bowl: Timothy Egan: 9780618773473: Amazon.com: Books

Old 07-03-2014, 05:10 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I'm 80% in on Defending Jacob and, while I want to know how it resolves, I don't want it to end. I'm not sure why it's taken me such a long time to get around to reading this -- it's an excellent book.
I see that you now finished it I liked that one also.

Old 07-03-2014, 07:08 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,844,099 times
I'm now reading A Kingdom Strange: The Brief and Tragic History of the Lost Colony of Roanoke by James Horn

http://www.amazon.com/Kingdom-Strang...4392734&sr=1-1

I have always thought this was an interesting subject.

Old 07-03-2014, 07:17 AM

I just saw on the news that Louis Zamperini the WWII war hero and Olympian whom many of us "know" from Unbroken, passed away today at age 97. An amazing man who lived an impactful life. May he rest now...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books