Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-04-2014, 06:01 AM
 
9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Reputation: 14770

Advertisements

"The Lost City of Z"

I loved this book right up to the very end, but left it there disappointed. In this work, it is all about the journey because having arrived at his destination, Grann leaves us.

It was getting the detailed description of a flight somewhere and reading all about the lives of the stewards, the pilots, how the plane was built, the destination's history, the passengers -- all nicely done to the arrival. Only to immediately take the return flight home.

Wham, bam, thank you Ma'am.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-04-2014, 10:42 AM
 
Location: Floyd Co, VA
3,513 posts, read 6,374,594 times
Reputation: 7627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber18 View Post
I am reading Defending Jacob and im so hooked! I bought it late last night on my Kobo and almost done already
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
im reading it too and I think I like it as well because if any of you have family in the legal system or judicial background then you will most likely like it .Im hooked too I do believe I loved the opening statement as well .
Since a number of people here have mentioned this book I thought I would check it out because I really like legal thrillers. I've learned to always check to see what the one star reviews have to say on Amazon and it has 125 of them. Just reading the first half dozen or so made me realize that this story is not one I would enjoy since it apparently has some significant factual errors and that is one thing that completely ruins a story for me. Even small errors about things that can be easily researched or should be general knowledge make me feel that the author is too lazy to bother and therefore does not care about his/her readers.

A couple of examples: A suspect in a murder tells an investigator that she nneds to leave Oregon right away because there is an opening on a Mt. Everest expedition which expects to summit in a few days and she has been invited to join the group. It takes weeks to slowly acclimatize to the altitude, never mind the time it takes to get from Kathmandu just to base camp at about 13,000 ft.

Acclimatization - climbers guide to Everest

In another story the author has the main character watching the sun set at about 9:30 pm in late November in a northern state. DUH!

Does anyone else have this issue or am I simply too picky?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2014, 12:36 PM
 
Location: Canada
7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
Reputation: 9858
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
Since a number of people here have mentioned this book I thought I would check it out because I really like legal thrillers. I've learned to always check to see what the one star reviews have to say on Amazon and it has 125 of them. Just reading the first half dozen or so made me realize that this story is not one I would enjoy since it apparently has some significant factual errors and that is one thing that completely ruins a story for me. Even small errors about things that can be easily researched or should be general knowledge make me feel that the author is too lazy to bother and therefore does not care about his/her readers.

A couple of examples: A suspect in a murder tells an investigator that she nneds to leave Oregon right away because there is an opening on a Mt. Everest expedition which expects to summit in a few days and she has been invited to join the group. It takes weeks to slowly acclimatize to the altitude, never mind the time it takes to get from Kathmandu just to base camp at about 13,000 ft.

Acclimatization - climbers guide to Everest

In another story the author has the main character watching the sun set at about 9:30 pm in late November in a northern state. DUH!

Does anyone else have this issue or am I simply too picky?
Nope, you're not too picky. That would bother me too. There are a few glaring factual errors that stand out of the books I've read. Years ago I read a book where the character driving on a country road remarked or mused on how the spring wheat was six feet high. I slapped that book closed so fast it wasn't funny.

And most recently a book had a character call Canada "The Republic of Canada." I read backwards and forwards several times trying to find out if it was a joke, or if there had been a revolution of some kind and there was nothing at all to indicate that it was anything but a monumental and basic error. I did finish that book because the writer was exceptional and the error had not come in the very beginning. If it had, I would not have been able to read the book.

I'm sure that lawyers, policemen and those in the nursing profession come across many more errors but there are some things that should be basic information - like acclimatizing to Everest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2014, 02:32 PM
 
Location: South Carolina
14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
Reputation: 27092
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
Since a number of people here have mentioned this book I thought I would check it out because I really like legal thrillers. I've learned to always check to see what the one star reviews have to say on Amazon and it has 125 of them. Just reading the first half dozen or so made me realize that this story is not one I would enjoy since it apparently has some significant factual errors and that is one thing that completely ruins a story for me. Even small errors about things that can be easily researched or should be general knowledge make me feel that the author is too lazy to bother and therefore does not care about his/her readers.

A couple of examples: A suspect in a murder tells an investigator that she nneds to leave Oregon right away because there is an opening on a Mt. Everest expedition which expects to summit in a few days and she has been invited to join the group. It takes weeks to slowly acclimatize to the altitude, never mind the time it takes to get from Kathmandu just to base camp at about 13,000 ft.

Acclimatization - climbers guide to Everest

In another story the author has the main character watching the sun set at about 9:30 pm in late November in a northern state. DUH!

Does anyone else have this issue or am I simply too picky?

I think you must be the one to research a book a little too much and that takes the fun out of it and then you cant enjoy it when you go to read it .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2014, 02:33 PM
 
Location: South Carolina
14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
Reputation: 27092
and now it has ruined the book for me thanks ...im done now and will not finish it ....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2014, 02:48 PM
 
Location: New Mexico
4,794 posts, read 2,798,355 times
Reputation: 4925
Default The pleasure is in the hunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I think you must be the one to research a book a little too much and that takes the fun out of it and then you cant enjoy it when you go to read it .


Well, there are plenty of well-written, well-researched books, novels, short stories in print. It may take some little work to find them - and then you'll be glad to have the suggestions of librarians, other readers, critics, book reviewers, booksellers. If you're going to put in the effort of selecting and reading, for a little more effort you can select and read good-to-excellent works.

It seems pretty straightforward to me, but then, I'm a straightforward kind o' guy. Even in secondhand stores and used-book sellers, if you have a list of favorite authors or subjects, you can usually find something worthwhile to read. And if not, you make the best selection you can, and make a leap of faith.

We're in the public library frequently, and I usually don't have any problem finding something I've wanted to read, or have heard good things about, or whose cover looks interesting, or ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2014, 04:20 PM
 
Location: South Carolina
14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
Reputation: 27092
im just stating the some folks have a lot of nerve coming on here and ruining the book for others and Im tired of it ...if all you can do is run down a book keep it to yourself and let others read it .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2014, 06:56 PM
 
Location: Floyd Co, VA
3,513 posts, read 6,374,594 times
Reputation: 7627
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
im just stating the some folks have a lot of nerve coming on here and ruining the book for others and Im tired of it ...if all you can do is run down a book keep it to yourself and let others read it .
OK, Everybody, no writing about any book that you did not like or did not finish since it might "ruin" it for others who are fine with wasting their time and/or money on books that you don't think are worth it. I guess we shouldn't even mention anything that we've started in case it not to our liking and should wait until we are done with it before posting about it here if it was good, in your opinion.

Only positive reviews from now on. However I will still continue to check other sources to find out if a significant number of readers disliked a book and why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2014, 07:01 PM
 
Location: Floyd Co, VA
3,513 posts, read 6,374,594 times
Reputation: 7627
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Hi all I just put "the whole golden world " on hold at the library and was wondering if anyone here has read this ? if so please let me know how you liked it or disliked it ...thanks all and happy reading .
Just found this post from two days ago and now I'm confused as to whether phonelady61 does nor does not want to hear about books that others have disliked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2014, 08:02 PM
 
Location: north central Ohio
8,665 posts, read 5,844,099 times
Reputation: 5201
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
Just found this post from two days ago and now I'm confused as to whether phonelady61 does nor does not want to hear about books that others have disliked.
Yeah for real! Myself, I ALWAYS read the 1-2 star reviews at Amazon, besides the 4-5 star reviews. I WANT to know the good and the bad,before I invest my time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top