Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2014, 04:30 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times

Advertisements

I like to hear both the good and bad reviews from books. Sometimes there is something that will turn one of us off from reading a book and the bad reviews can help with that. Anyhoo

I am still reading Every Soul A Star which is a really cute book so far. I'm not sure how I ended up putting it on my TR list as it is a Children's/YA book but a good story so far

I am switching gears. My granddaughter loves Bones. So I told her that the author of Bones writes books she can read. We got the first one in the series called Virals by Kathy Reichs. I am reading it now before my granddaughter and stepdaughter get to it.

BTW, phonelady don't give up on that book. If you are enjoying it so far finish it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2014, 04:48 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,844,099 times
younglisa7~ I enjoy lots of childrens/YA books myself! I read whatever grabs my fancy and just sounds like a good story.I just finished two by YA ghost story author Mary Downing Hahn.I think she writes the best ghost stories.
Deep,Dark and Dangerous was more a mystery,but good, and also enjoyed The Doll In The Garden.I haven't yet read any by her that I wasn't happy with.

I wasn't able to finish A Kingdom Strange: The Brief and Tragic History of the Lost Colony of Roanoke by James Horn. It was a disappointment. Far too much about the politics of the time,between England,Spain and France,to keep my interest.

Next up~The Magic Cottage by James Herbert. I did enjoy Haunted by him,so I'm hoping that I will enjoy this one as well.

Old 07-05-2014, 05:43 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
you know im done with this category so I will leave so I wont upset anyone ....im done bye ...

Old 07-05-2014, 06:21 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
younglisa7~ I enjoy lots of childrens/YA books myself! I read whatever grabs my fancy and just sounds like a good story.I just finished two by YA ghost story author Mary Downing Hahn.I think she writes the best ghost stories.
Deep,Dark and Dangerous was more a mystery,but good, and also enjoyed The Doll In The Garden.I haven't yet read any by her that I wasn't happy with.

I wasn't able to finish A Kingdom Strange: The Brief and Tragic History of the Lost Colony of Roanoke by James Horn. It was a disappointment. Far too much about the politics of the time,between England,Spain and France,to keep my interest.

Next up~The Magic Cottage by James Herbert. I did enjoy Haunted by him,so I'm hoping that I will enjoy this one as well.

Thanks for those. I like to have an easy story to go to after heavy stories

Old 07-05-2014, 06:27 AM

1,886 posts, read 2,224,900 times
Harlan Coben....Hold Tight

Old 07-05-2014, 07:50 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
I'm reading True Evil by Greg Isles.

I like Isles. He does a lot of research for his books and it's interesting information. Plus, his characters are fully developed, even some of the minor ones, so that the reader gets a full picture of these folks and what makes them tick. In this case several of the characters are truly evil.

Next up is a rereading of The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath. I first read it about 3 decades ago. I wonder what I will think of it now.

Old 07-05-2014, 09:43 AM

4,794 posts, read 2,798,355 times
Default Fracking - Everything you ever wanted to know

The boom : how fracking ignited the American energyrevolution and changed the world / Russell Gold. Simon & Schusterc 2014.
Summary: "Fracking hasvociferous critics and fervent defenders, but the debate between these campshas obscured the actual story: Fracking has become a fixture of the Americanlandscape and the global economy. It has upended the business models of energycompanies around the globe, and it has started to change geopolitics and globalenergy markets in profound ways. Gold tells the story of this once-obscureoilfield technology--a story with an incredible cast of tycoons and geologists,dreamers and drillers, speculators and skeptics, a story that answers acritical question of our time: Where will the energy come from to power ourworld--and what price will we have to pay for it?" -- from publisher's website.

Summary: Presents an unstintingexploration of controversial fracking technologies to consider the arguments ofits supporters and detractors, profiling key contributors while explaining howthe practice is changing the way energy is used.

Description: vii, 366 pages : map; 24 cm

Very interesting book - on the history, technology, companies, players, pros & cons. A good read, nice touches by the author.

Old 07-05-2014, 10:22 AM

2,322 posts, read 923,092 times
Still can't get past the first few chapters of Watership Down so I'm putting it aside for now and reading Ground Zero: A Zombie Apolcalypse by Nicholas Ryan.

Not ready to throw in the towel yet on Richard Adams, but it doesn't look good.

Old 07-05-2014, 11:56 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,844,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
The boom : how fracking ignited the American energyrevolution and changed the world / Russell Gold. Simon & Schusterc 2014.
Summary: "Fracking hasvociferous critics and fervent defenders, but the debate between these campshas obscured the actual story: Fracking has become a fixture of the Americanlandscape and the global economy. It has upended the business models of energycompanies around the globe, and it has started to change geopolitics and globalenergy markets in profound ways. Gold tells the story of this once-obscureoilfield technology--a story with an incredible cast of tycoons and geologists,dreamers and drillers, speculators and skeptics, a story that answers acritical question of our time: Where will the energy come from to power ourworld--and what price will we have to pay for it?" -- from publisher's website.

Summary: Presents an unstintingexploration of controversial fracking technologies to consider the arguments ofits supporters and detractors, profiling key contributors while explaining howthe practice is changing the way energy is used.

Description: vii, 366 pages : map; 24 cm

Very interesting book - on the history, technology, companies, players, pros & cons. A good read, nice touches by the author.
I am adding this to my TBR list,it does sound interesting and certainly 'timely'!

Old 07-05-2014, 01:51 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,253,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
I am adding this to my TBR list,it does sound interesting and certainly 'timely'!
i_love_autumn, You might like this one, too.
I bought the Tony Horwitz Kindle Single, Boom: Oil, Money, Strippers, and the Energy Rush That Could Change America Forever after reading the difficulty Horwitz encountered when he tried to publish an eBook. In Boom, he relates his wild trek through the tar sands of Canada and along the Keystone XL pipeline. His adventure allows him to meet very interesting characters on all sides of the energy boom. Fracking is part of his story. It's informative, easy to understand and also entertaining. I was going to post the link in the eBook thread awhile ago.

Amazon.com: BOOM: Oil, Money, Strippers, and the Energy Rush That Could Change America Forever eBook: Tony Horwitz: Kindle Store

I Was a Digital Best Seller
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/20/op....html?emc=eta1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books