Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2014, 02:26 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,205 times

Advertisements

Happy POST- 4th of July, all. I'm so glad the bombing is over!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
Even small errors about things that can be easily researched or should be general knowledge make me feel that the author is too lazy to bother and therefore does not care about his/her readers.
I'm with you and netwit on this one, though I will step over it and keep reading if the sins are not too numerous.

I've encountered this more frequently of late and chalk it up to the lack of staffing well educated editors at publishing houses these days. I wish they spent more on their editors and less on their marketing department.

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
... And most recently a book had a character call Canada "The Republic of Canada." I read backwards and forwards several times trying to find out if it was a joke, or if there had been a revolution of some kind and there was nothing at all to indicate that it was anything but a monumental and basic error.
This just cracked me up. I had this visual of you flipping back pages, reading, flipping the book upside down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I'm reading True Evil by Greg Isles.

I like Isles. He does a lot of research for his books and it's interesting information. Plus, his characters are fully developed, even some of the minor ones, so that the reader gets a full picture of these folks and what makes them tick. In this case several of the characters are truly evil.

Next up is a rereading of The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath. I first read it about 3 decades ago. I wonder what I will think of it now.
I was thinking I'd read a number of Isles, but after looking him up it turns out I am mistaken. Another I am going to have to look forward to. Last night I watched a movie based on James Patterson's works, and think I will have to look into his, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
The boom : how fracking ignited the American energyrevolution and changed the world / Russell Gold. Simon & Schusterc 2014. ... Very interesting book - on the history, technology, companies, players, pros & cons. A good read, nice touches by the author.
I SHOULD read this one, but I am so against the practice that I don't think I could read it. (I need to work on my self-discipline.)

I just finished listening to Maya Angelou's "A Song Flung Up to Heaven," and LOVED it. This was the second of Ms. Angelou's works I've listened to on audiobook, read by the author. I'm sorry that it took reading of her obituary to prompt me to finally seek out this gracious, kind, intelligent and humorous woman's writing. Listening to this and the first (Mom & Me & Mom), have touched my heart in large strokes, infusing it with love for her and all the people she loved.

Aside from the emotional response to the author, I was also glad to see that she wrote so meaningfully about her experiences and observations around the assassinations of both Malcom X and Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, as well as the Watts riots in Los Angeles. I was intrigued to learn that she wrote and produced a PBS series about black culture and its contributions to our American culture, titled: "Black, Blue, Black," in 1968. I wonder if it's possible to find a video of it.

That's it for me. Hope you all have a nice rest of the weekend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2014, 02:27 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,316,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winrunner View Post
Still can't get past the first few chapters of Watership Down so I'm putting it aside for now and reading Ground Zero: A Zombie Apolcalypse by Nicholas Ryan.

Not ready to throw in the towel yet on Richard Adams, but it doesn't look good.
I tried Watership Down years ago and had the same problem. I am going to try again one of these days. I don't know what it was. It was a long time ago. The thing is I keep thinking that if I persevere with that book, I will like it but I don't know why I think that.

Old 07-06-2014, 01:54 AM

1,458 posts, read 4,131,378 times
I'm having trouble reading...been so busy watching entire seasons of shows on Amazon!

But after reading the treads about terrifying reads, I'm taking notes & going to the library!

I am reading Angels of Destruction, by Keith Donohue. Not sure what I think yet, but it has my interest. I just loved his first book so much, Stolen Child, that I couldn't wait to read more of him. Also I read the sample to Orphan Train, & have to get the real book for my Book Club.

Old 07-06-2014, 04:30 AM

2,322 posts, read 923,011 times
Finished Ground Zero: A Zombie Apocalypse. Decent read. Too short for me. Moving on to A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini.

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I tried Watership Down years ago and had the same problem. I am going to try again one of these days. I don't know what it was. It was a long time ago. The thing is I keep thinking that if I persevere with that book, I will like it but I don't know why I think that.
Same here except I know why. This book was gifted to me back in the summer of '77 or '78 by a friend. She spent her hard earned money from doing chores and mowing lawns to get me several books, one of which was WD. I was so touched and moved by this gesture that I felt compelled(obligated) to read it. What's funny is that over the years, whenever I would see the book in a store I would get this warm fuzzy feeling inside(as if I had read and enjoyed it) and declare again that I would finish the story.

Five days in I'm still on Chapter 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolagranola View Post
Also I read the sample to Orphan Train, & have to get the real book for my Book Club.
I've had this book on my to read list for a couple of months... after re-reading the synopsis, I need to move it up

Last edited by winrunner; 07-06-2014 at 04:44 AM.. Reason: To speak with lolagranola.

Old 07-06-2014, 04:44 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I'm reading True Evil by Greg Isles.

I like Isles. He does a lot of research for his books and it's interesting information. Plus, his characters are fully developed, even some of the minor ones, so that the reader gets a full picture of these folks and what makes them tick. In this case several of the characters are truly evil.

Next up is a rereading of The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath. I first read it about 3 decades ago. I wonder what I will think of it now.
Let us know what you thought. I have True Evil on my TR list.

Hmm…I just read some reviews about The Bell Jar. I put it on my list but will have to wait for the right time for that one. I am so busy in the summer that I need light reads

Quote:
Originally Posted by winrunner View Post
Still can't get past the first few chapters of Watership Down so I'm putting it aside for now and reading Ground Zero: A Zombie Apolcalypse by Nicholas Ryan.

Not ready to throw in the towel yet on Richard Adams, but it doesn't look good.
I've heard so many great things about that book and I did add it to my list to read. I'm just not so sure "I" will like it so I keep passing it by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
The boom : how fracking ignited the American energyrevolution and changed the world / Russell Gold. Simon & Schusterc 2014.
Summary: "Fracking hasvociferous critics and fervent defenders, but the debate between these campshas obscured the actual story: Fracking has become a fixture of the Americanlandscape and the global economy. It has upended the business models of energycompanies around the globe, and it has started to change geopolitics and globalenergy markets in profound ways. Gold tells the story of this once-obscureoilfield technology--a story with an incredible cast of tycoons and geologists,dreamers and drillers, speculators and skeptics, a story that answers acritical question of our time: Where will the energy come from to power ourworld--and what price will we have to pay for it?" -- from publisher's website.

Summary: Presents an unstintingexploration of controversial fracking technologies to consider the arguments ofits supporters and detractors, profiling key contributors while explaining howthe practice is changing the way energy is used.

Description: vii, 366 pages : map; 24 cm

Very interesting book - on the history, technology, companies, players, pros & cons. A good read, nice touches by the author.
Sounds very interesting even though it might make my blood boil

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I was thinking I'd read a number of Isles, but after looking him up it turns out I am mistaken. Another I am going to have to look forward to. Last night I watched a movie based on James Patterson's works, and think I will have to look into his, too.

I just finished listening to Maya Angelou's "A Song Flung Up to Heaven," and LOVED it. This was the second of Ms. Angelou's works I've listened to on audiobook, read by the author. I'm sorry that it took reading of her obituary to prompt me to finally seek out this gracious, kind, intelligent and humorous woman's writing. Listening to this and the first (Mom & Me & Mom), have touched my heart in large strokes, infusing it with love for her and all the people she loved.
Which movie was it? I have read some of James Patterson's books and enjoyed them.

I have this one on my list:
Wouldn't Take Nothing for My Journey Now by Maya Angelou. Have you read that one?

Quote:
I'm having trouble reading...been so busy watching entire seasons of shows on Amazon!

But after reading the treads about terrifying reads, I'm taking notes & going to the library!

I am reading Angels of Destruction, by Keith Donohue. Not sure what I think yet, but it has my interest. I just loved his first book so much, Stolen Child, that I couldn't wait to read more of him. Also I read the sample to Orphan Train, & have to get the real book for my Book Club.
I am reading slowly now. Summer=Busy I just added Stolen Child to my R list. Thanks for the recommendation. Enjoy Orphan Train. I liked it.

Still reading Virals and I am really liking it. I hope to finish it tonight so I can pass it on the my stepdaughter and granddaughter

Old 07-06-2014, 05:57 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,843,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
i_love_autumn, You might like this one, too.
I bought the Tony Horwitz Kindle Single, Boom: Oil, Money, Strippers, and the Energy Rush That Could Change America Forever after reading the difficulty Horwitz encountered when he tried to publish an eBook. In Boom, he relates his wild trek through the tar sands of Canada and along the Keystone XL pipeline. His adventure allows him to meet very interesting characters on all sides of the energy boom. Fracking is part of his story. It's informative, easy to understand and also entertaining. I was going to post the link in the eBook thread awhile ago.

Amazon.com: BOOM: Oil, Money, Strippers, and the Energy Rush That Could Change America Forever eBook: Tony Horwitz: Kindle Store

I Was a Digital Best Seller
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/20/op....html?emc=eta1
Thank you so much!

Old 07-06-2014, 07:44 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,253,049 times
Check out Kindle Daily Deals today. There are tons of books by well known authors. To name a few: Allende, Erdrich, Lessing. Chabon, Jess Walter, Nancy Milford.
I never read The Golden Notebook so that's one I'm buying. Devil in the Grove is very well written about a very sad period in American history.

Old 07-06-2014, 08:50 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Which movie was it? I have read some of James Patterson's books and enjoyed them.
"Along Came a Spider" with Morgan Freeman. (2001)
(As you can tell, we don't go to movies and rarely watch movies or tv. )

Quote:
I have this one on my list:
Wouldn't Take Nothing for My Journey Now by Maya Angelou. Have you read that one?
Not yet, but I do have it on my Kindle. Actually reading my Kindle books seems to be continually moving out because I am 1st: listening while I stitch whatever project I am (always) working on, 2nd: reading the library book that came just as I was picking up the Kindle.

I preferred listening to Maya's works because she had such a beautiful voice, so rich and full. Unlike many authors, she also had a real talent for truly expressing the emotions of her works in her reading. I kick myself over and over for not reading more of her works after "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings" which will probably be one of the few that I go back and read again.

About "Watership Down": I did read it back in the late 70s and loved it, even though I didn't want to because my step-mother loved it and I had a real problem with HER. Now, after reading the comments here, I have to wonder if I would like it now. Hmmmm. Of course, that may never come to light given the length of my queue!

Old 07-06-2014, 06:35 PM

55 posts, read 58,302 times
I am currently reading a new book "Midnight Crossroad" by Charlaine Harris the author of the Sookie Stackhouse novels. So far so good. The book is kind of slow,but the characters are somewhat interesting. This is the first in a new series, so I am hoping that there will be more character development as the series goes on.

Old 07-07-2014, 05:44 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,843,617 times
Quote:

OMG, me too, except I'm getting the series on DVD from my library!
Right now I'm going through sci-fi ones,totally love Eureka and The 4400!
I've had to renew my library books,because they became due before I got them read,LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books