Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2014, 06:41 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,385,004 times

Advertisements

Wow, it took me quite a long time to go through all the pages that came up since I logged in the last time

I don't have much time to read at the moment. Too busy with the summer and all the outdoor things kids want to do when the sun is shining However, seven weeks have gone and I'm still not through Drums of Autumn by Diana Gabaldon.
I've been waiting for her latest book to be issued and look where I am . I can't wait to get through the next three volumes to start the one...

Have a terrific summer!
Diana
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 02:14 PM

758 posts, read 1,639,467 times
After the Belmont, I went through all of my old Black Stallion series books for the millionth time. And I'm still interested in rereading a lot of my horse racing books (I have a great one on Citation, and a fabulous Ruffian book), but I'm trying to get back through my to read pile.

I recently finished Geisha: The Secret History of a Vanishing World by Lesley Downer. I really enjoy geisha books, and this had some entertaining history, though I feel like I've read it before. Maybe there was too much overlap with one of her other books?

I'm also reading Collapse by Jared Diamond and How we Decide by Jonah Lehrer. Both are good, but a bit slow at times. So I've put them both aside for now, and am reading Sold by Zana Muhsen.

Old 07-07-2014, 04:58 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,429,770 times
I just downloaded a freebie for the Kindle.

Fifty Shades of Bacon

It's a cookbook with adult language
(I read cookbooks during TV commercials, LOL)

The title just hit my funny bone, so I *clicked*

Old 07-08-2014, 06:59 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times
I am reading Summer House with Swimming Pool, and once again, Mr. Koch really knows how to create characters I really dislike but keeps me reading and intrigued.

Old 07-08-2014, 07:14 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,253,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
I am reading Summer House with Swimming Pool, and once again, Mr. Koch really knows how to create characters I really dislike but keeps me reading and intrigued.
Yes, another page turner. Koch has six more books that have not been translated. I'm rereading The Dinner now. His comparisons are amazing.

Old 07-08-2014, 07:16 AM

2,404 posts, read 4,401,634 times
The Filthy Thirteen. It's about a demolition squad from the 101st in WWII.

Old 07-08-2014, 01:45 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,253,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I have The Cold Song on my Kindle. We shall see... when I get to it.

I'm curious to know what you think of Defending Jacob. It's similar to The Dinner (like pinetreelover said) yet very different (like she also said). Defending Jacob definitely kept me reading to see how it would turn out; I didn't have that feeling at all with The Dinner. I enjoyed Defending Jacob more than The Dinner.
I disagree about parent's motivation in both books. The parents of Michel in The Dinner were interested in protecting their son as well as Ricky's father. Ricky's mother was the exception because wanted to be the governor's wife. Prison sentences were noted in both books: Holland only seven years compared to 20 in the U.S. At 7 years, a kid still might have a chance. Might that have influenced the U.S. family.

IMHO, because we draw from our past and present experiences (at least I do) when relating to a book, our interpretations will differ. As a parent, I believe you don't how far you will go for your child until you're in a particular situation. Based on this, I conclude both books could be real life stories.

I've read The Dinner twice, and I couldn't put it down the second time. I could probably read it a third time. Usually, I don't ever read a book twice. Even Herman Koch describing an "empty space" on a plate kept me riveted to the book. I absolutely loved The Dinner and also his subsequent book.

Defending Jacob was good, and a fast read. For me, not in the same league as The Dinner. Dawn, we'll to agree to disagree. LOL. I skipped through some of the trial because it was repetitive. Certain parts of ending were predictable. Defending Jacob focused more on the gene factor than did The Dinner.

A book I'll read again We Need to Talk about Kevin. How does that compare to the previously mentioned. All three of these books are great for discussion.

Old 07-08-2014, 03:02 PM

4,794 posts, read 2,798,355 times
Default A Vinge retrospective

Reading The collected stories of Vernor Vinge, a gifted SF writer. c 2001, a thrift-store bargain @ $1.00 (list price was $16.00). Some excellent stories, some old friends, & some I hadn't read before. He also wrote the novels A deepness in the sky & A fire upon the deep.

You can see his craft grow with time.

Old 07-08-2014, 03:21 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
I am back to listening to: "Power Systems: Conversations on Global Democratic Uprisings and the New Challenges to U.S. Empire," by Noam Chomsky; read by the author and David Barsamian. I had to stop listening to it before, but am better able to now. (Chalking that up to biorhythms or chemistry!)

I like that Chomsky doesn't get argumentative and doesn't claim the rightness or wrongness of an action, but instead just lays it out there and lets the listener/reader decide where she stands. That said, our total hypocrisy as a country sickens me, but it I get so angry that I just toss it aside I won't ever learn enough about our heinous deeds to be able to discuss it intelligently.

Then again, I am so surrounded by the "I support our troops" contingent that I probably won't ever have the opportunity to discuss it with anyone but DH, anyway.

Old 07-08-2014, 11:29 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
I just finished reading "The Misremembered Man," by Christina McKenna. Though I only gave it two stars on Goodreads, there was a lot to like about this book. I liked the characters and the way the author was able to give each of them a voice of their own, even speaking in an Irish brogue (that was only once in awhile difficult to interpret). I could relate to each character's perspective.

I could barely read the sections of flashback backstory describing the inhumane treatment of orphans in the thirtys -- even worse was having read the author's notes explaining that while the story was fiction, the events described in the orphanages were based on actual events. Heart-breaking. I will never think kindly toward the Catholic Church again.

The ending was too patently saccharine to be credible. All the loose ends of life are never neatly gift-wrapped at the end of any story. Still, I was glad that Jamie's story came to a happy end.

Next up: "America's Deadliest Export: Democracy – The Truth About US Foreign Policy and Everything Else,"
by William Blum
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books