Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2014, 11:39 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times

Advertisements

I am reading The One and Only by Emily Giffin. I didn't mean to be reading it, but I am. This is what happens when you take a dud book away for the weekend and you have to settle for your sister-in-law's hand me down.

I am not a chick-lit reader. Ever.

Except right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2014, 11:41 AM

2,322 posts, read 923,011 times
I finished reading A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini a couple of days ago. I cannot remember reading a story and crying as much as I did with this book. Very difficult to read through tears. I was still crying while reading the acknowledgements at the end of the book My stomach was in knots the entire time I was reading.

Although not on my books-to-read-in-July list, last night I started All The Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr.

From Goodreads
Quote:
...a stunningly ambitious and beautiful novel about a blind French girl and a German boy whose paths collide in occupied France as both try to survive the devastation of World War II.

Old 07-09-2014, 12:49 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I am not a chick-lit reader. Ever. ... Except right now.
That's an excellent reason to have a Kindle. Packs light, and you can keep 700 titles in storage if you should need backup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by winrunner View Post
I finished reading A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini a couple of days ago. I cannot remember reading a story and crying as much as I did with this book. Very difficult to read through tears. I was still crying while reading the acknowledgements at the end of the book My stomach was in knots the entire time I was reading.

Although not on my books-to-read-in-July list, last night I started All The Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr.

From Goodreads
Okay, so perhaps I won't try Hosseini's work for awhile. I am finally free of a depression that lingered, and I don't think I am ready to test my wings on something THAT teary!

Not that my current read has been a skip through the daisies... I've only cleared the introduction and already I want to slap a flag-waver. Good thing 4th of July is behind me!

Old 07-09-2014, 12:57 PM

2,218 posts, read 3,452,259 times
I started Summer House with Swimming Pool today. It is promising to be a very funny, very darkly humorous book. Not for everyone, but I am enjoying the wicked main character. I laughed out loud at some of the chapters...and I am only just beginning it.

Old 07-09-2014, 02:24 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,449,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
"Along Came a Spider" with Morgan Freeman. (2001)
(As you can tell, we don't go to movies and rarely watch movies or tv. )
After having "collected" this series for years, I've finally started to read them. "Along Came a Spider" is the first one. I finished the second book "Kiss the Girls" last night. As much as I absolutely love Morgan Freeman, I picture Denzel Washington as Alex Cross. Morgan is much older than Alex is supposed to be.

Usually I don't like to read books in a series back-to-back because I find the refresher details become too repetitious, but I wanted to go right into "Jack and Jill" (which I've actually read-years ago) but it's checked out with waiting lists at both libraries I have cards for. So I need a quick read in the meantime in case it becomes available. Unfortunately, I've been on a streak lately of not enjoying books I've chosen because my first choice wasn't available.

Old 07-09-2014, 04:11 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Quote:
That's an excellent reason to have a Kindle. Packs light, and you can keep 700 titles in storage if you should need backup!

Okay, so perhaps I won't try Hosseini's work for awhile. I am finally free of a depression that lingered, and I don't think I am ready to test my wings on something THAT teary!

Not that my current read has been a skip through the daisies... I've only cleared the introduction and already I want to slap a flag-waver. Good thing 4th of July is behind me!
If you want some really good laughs from a nonfiction book then I suggest A Short Walk in the Hindu Kush. The title may sound like a dud but believe me this book is really a treat. I'm sitting here laughing just thinking about it. I read it years ago and it has stayed with me.

Oh, the author is Eric Newby.

I'm so glad you are feeling better, LFM. Depression can zap the very will to live out of a person.

Old 07-09-2014, 05:57 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
I disagree about parent's motivation in both books. The parents of Michel in The Dinner were interested in protecting their son as well as Ricky's father. Ricky's mother was the exception because wanted to be the governor's wife. Prison sentences were noted in both books: Holland only seven years compared to 20 in the U.S. At 7 years, a kid still might have a chance. Might that have influenced the U.S. family.

IMHO, because we draw from our past and present experiences (at least I do) when relating to a book, our interpretations will differ. As a parent, I believe you don't how far you will go for your child until you're in a particular situation. Based on this, I conclude both books could be real life stories.

I've read The Dinner twice, and I couldn't put it down the second time. I could probably read it a third time. Usually, I don't ever read a book twice. Even Herman Koch describing an "empty space" on a plate kept me riveted to the book. I absolutely loved The Dinner and also his subsequent book.

Defending Jacob was good, and a fast read. For me, not in the same league as The Dinner. Dawn, we'll to agree to disagree. LOL. I skipped through some of the trial because it was repetitive. Certain parts of ending were predictable. Defending Jacob focused more on the gene factor than did The Dinner.

A book I'll read again We Need to Talk about Kevin. How does that compare to the previously mentioned. All three of these books are great for discussion.
Either agree to disagree... or I read it such a long time ago that I don't remember much... or I was so excited for The Dinner to be released that my expectations were too high. Either way, you're still my buddy.
I definitely agree that Defending Jacob was a *much* easier read.

As to We Need to Talk About Kevin... oh my god, what a FABULOUS and disturbing book that was. Truly excellent. I, too, don't re-read books, but this one is consistently on my list to re-read. Hopefully one day I will.

Old 07-09-2014, 06:04 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,312,500 times
I recently finished Marianne, historical fiction set in the Napolean era of France. Anyway, I had it in the truck to turn in at Goodwill and grab another book but Goodwill was closed. We went by the drugstore to pick up a magazine and a man was looking at books, magazines... you could tell he wasn't scared of "women's" reads but he wasn't seeing anything that he wanted so I told him I had a book in the car he could have. He took it! I love passing on decent books.

Old 07-09-2014, 09:26 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGirl74 View Post
Usually I don't like to read books in a series back-to-back because I find the refresher details become too repetitious
I know. I really get tired of back stories. Frankly, I think each book should stand alone on its merit even if the reader has never read an earlier work -- or read them all. That's just me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
If you want some really good laughs from a nonfiction book then I suggest A Short Walk in the Hindu Kush. The title may sound like a dud but believe me this book is really a treat. I'm sitting here laughing just thinking about it. I read it years ago and it has stayed with me.

Oh, the author is Eric Newby.

I'm so glad you are feeling better, LFM. Depression can zap the very will to live out of a person.
Thanks, K, for the book idea and the kindness. I am glad that I can at least recognize that my depressed periods are biochemical. They come less often that when I was a young woman, and stay for shorter periods. It's sort of like having a summer cold without the sniffles.

BTW: my library has the book available and I am first in queue, so I should be called soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
... a man was looking at books, magazines... you could tell he wasn't scared of "women's" reads but he wasn't seeing anything that he wanted so I told him I had a book in the car he could have. He took it! I love passing on decent books.
There are a number of places I've seen in this area where someone has erected a small cabinet with a glass front. Inside there are books. Passerbys are invited to borrow them and return when they can, or if they want to keep one they are asked to replace it with another. I've never borrowed or exchanged one, but I always have to peek at the titles.!

Old 07-09-2014, 09:45 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times
Quote:
I know. I know.

I had my Kindle with me, but in my never ending quest to get people I love to read books I love, I handed my Kindle over to my daughter so she could read Ocean at the End of the Lane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books