Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2014, 04:55 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
There are a number of places I've seen in this area where someone has erected a small cabinet with a glass front. Inside there are books. Passerbys are invited to borrow them and return when they can, or if they want to keep one they are asked to replace it with another. I've never borrowed or exchanged one, but I always have to peek at the titles.!
I like the idea of having a book exchange mailbox. If I lived in a neighborhood I would have one of those. How cool would that be?

Hmm…I must be on a kid kick. Probably because I am doing so much with kids right now between the grands, the summer reading program, and the carnival planning, lol.

I am halfway through Thirteen Reasons Why. It's not bad. I can see that some teens should be able to get something from this. As an adult reading it, it's kid drama and get over it but I know teens don't see it that way…sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2014, 06:31 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I had my Kindle with me, but in my never ending quest to get people I love to read books I love, I handed my Kindle over to my daughter so she could read Ocean at the End of the Lane.
I'm seeing a Kindle in your daughter's Christmas stocking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Hmm…I must be on a kid kick. Probably because I am doing so much with kids right now between the grands, the summer reading program, and the carnival planning, lol.

I am halfway through Thirteen Reasons Why. It's not bad. I can see that some teens should be able to get something from this. As an adult reading it, it's kid drama and get over it but I know teens don't see it that way…sad.
Maybe you are truly just YOUNG at heart?

Let the teens have their dramas. Let those hormones flow and ebb. Better to have them while in some sphere of control than when out of control!

Between listening to Chompsky and reading Blum, I had to take a break and go back to "The Tortilla Curtain" for some lighter reading.

Old 07-10-2014, 11:06 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
There are a number of places I've seen in this area where someone has erected a small cabinet with a glass front. Inside there are books. Passerbys are invited to borrow them and return when they can, or if they want to keep one they are asked to replace it with another. I've never borrowed or exchanged one, but I always have to peek at the titles.!
I would like to put up one of those little libraries too but first I'd need to figure out how to build something weather-proof. But the other thing is that I live in the middle of nowhere at the end of a very long driveway (half a mile). But maybe it would become a local attraction and people would drive to the middle of nowhere to look at a little library and pick up a book?

Old 07-10-2014, 11:07 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
I've given up on A Blessed Child by Linn Ullmann. There was a lot of back and forth -- firstly, between the three sisters; secondly, in time (childhood vs. adulthood). I'm not usually put off by that sort of stuff. However, there were many days that I couldn't read at all (I was too busy) so returning to the back and forth *did* get annoying this time. Oh well. It wasn't a great story anyway. I didn't even know where Ullmann was going with it, and I was already halfway done. You should know what the point of the story is at that point, right? Right.

Old 07-10-2014, 01:41 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I would like to put up one of those little libraries too but first I'd need to figure out how to build something weather-proof. But the other thing is that I live in the middle of nowhere at the end of a very long driveway (half a mile). But maybe it would become a local attraction and people would drive to the middle of nowhere to look at a little library and pick up a book?
I've seen them in small towns' parks and in front of businesses. Usually they are on a pole and about the size of a small cabinet, glass fronted with an overhang to allow opening the front in rain. (We DO live in the Pacific Northwest!) The cabinet is usually at shoulder height to an average woman -- maybe 4.4' to 5'. The last one I saw was in an out of the way residential area at the end of a drive, next to the mailbox. The one I saw in the park had steps leading up to it and included children's books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I didn't even know where Ullmann was going with it, and I was already halfway done. You should know what the point of the story is at that point, right? Right.
I think by halfway you should have an idea of where you are going on any trip!

I seem to be suffering from ADHA this week, sitting down to anything more than a half-hour and I am putting it aside. I thought I would "go with it" and checked out a bunch of magazines -- and promptly ditched them on my desk without a look back!

I think it's this heat.

Old 07-10-2014, 01:45 PM

4,794 posts, read 2,798,355 times
Default Ex libris

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post

They have a web site & all, here you go:

Welcome - Little Free Library

Good luck! Our public library has a coupla bookshelves with the same idea: Take a book, leave a book. Lots of bodice-rippers, mostly paperback. But some occasional finds.

The thrift stores often have books, kinda haphazardly arranged, but that's part of the charm. If I have time, I'll sort them - @ least, the categories I tend to look at. Thrifts are neat, you get a wide assortment of books, magazines, sheet music, ...

Old 07-10-2014, 02:16 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,253,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I've given up on A Blessed Child by Linn Ullmann. There was a lot of back and forth -- firstly, between the three sisters; secondly, in time (childhood vs. adulthood). I'm not usually put off by that sort of stuff. However, there were many days that I couldn't read at all (I was too busy) so returning to the back and forth *did* get annoying this time. Oh well. It wasn't a great story anyway. I didn't even know where Ullmann was going with it, and I was already halfway done. You should know what the point of the story is at that point, right? Right.
Hi, Buddy, In order to give Ullmann another chance I downloaded A Blessed Child. Doesn't sound encouraging.
I was 40% into Love and Treasure by Ayelet Waldman. It's another book about the Nazis appropriation of Jewish treasures during the war. The story revolves around the true history of the Hungarian Gold Train and the attempt by Americans to protect the treasures. Some surprise there. The first part was interesting and informative, but I gave up when it appeared to evolve into a relationship with two of the characters. I wanted something along the lines The Monuments Men, a book I very much appreciated.

Old 07-10-2014, 02:16 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,429,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
Good luck! Our public library has a coupla bookshelves with the same idea: Take a book, leave a book. Lots of bodice-rippers, mostly paperback. But some occasional finds.
Have seen them at VFW's, campgrounds, RV parks also.

Old 07-10-2014, 02:22 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
Hi, Buddy, In order to give Ullmann another chance I downloaded A Blessed Child. Doesn't sound encouraging.
No! Don't use my experience to taint yours! I was just fine with it until I had to keep stopping for days at a time. That's when things went kerflooey for me.

But if you want to try another Linn Ullmann book, try Grace. I liked that one a lot.

Old 07-10-2014, 04:23 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post

We have a sale shelf at my library but i bet they would have no trouble letting people swap books out. We are a very small town and pretty easy going

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Have seen them at VFW's, campgrounds, RV parks also.

Every time my Dh and I hit the road I take about 5 books that I have read so I can swap I love the RV parks/campgrounds for exchanging books
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books