Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2014, 05:40 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,546,726 times

Advertisements

I just finished listening to: "Power Systems: Conversations on Global Democratic Uprisings and the New Challenges to U.S. Empire," by Noam Chomsky, David Barsamian

My review:
The information about what our US foreign policies have done over the past years, and what is happening today at a domestic and international level set me back on my heels. Sure, I knew that the US uses unnecessary force -- after all, I remember the four students killed at Kent State. I also knew that we are corrupt. I remember Nixon, Reagan, and the Oliver North trials. We all KNOW about Bush and his gallop across the planet in search of "weapons of mass destruction," but even with that knowledge I was set back to learn of the depth of our hypocrisy, intrigue, and blatant undermining of nations' rights and human rights.

We make the Nazis look like boy scouts, and the citizens of the US write off these reports with a nonchalance that is reminiscent of the mythological attitude of Marie Antoinette toward the suffering of her populace: "Let them eat cake." (We just support our troops and wave flags.)

I challenge those that write Chomsky off as a "crack pot, conspiracy theorist" to list just five of his claims and objectively scrutinize the information. If you are like me, you know enough about our history and current actions that you will know he's presenting the facts in an amazingly objective fashion. What's even more amazing is that he believes there is hope and states that it is up to US people to make different choices.

It's up to US.

Next up on my audio list: "For the Time Being," by Annie Dillard; read by Tavia Gilbert
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2014, 05:10 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,375,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I just finished listening to: "Power Systems: Conversations on Global Democratic Uprisings and the New Challenges to U.S. Empire," by Noam Chomsky, David Barsamian
I haven't read anything by him but I will follow your lead and do so. Unfortunately my library only has 3 of his books, but I'll start there after I tackle one that I just got from them:

Why Nations Fail by Daron Acemogue and James Robinson. I'll let y'all know what I think of it. I've managed to read a few of the 100+ free books that I have on my kindle, most of them have been so-so at best so I won't bother to mention them by name.

By the way, I really admire your ability to listen to audio books and to apparently be able to stay focused on them. I know that is not something I can do since I've tried a couple and it was beyond my concentration levels even though they were just fiction and both were stories that I had already read on paper.

Old 07-11-2014, 05:51 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,023,154 times
I'm reading May We Be Forgiven by A.M. Holmes. I don't know what to think of it yet. Every time I think "this book is ridiculous; the situations are too unrealistic," there's a line (most often by George) that makes me laugh. So, I continue...

Old 07-11-2014, 07:22 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,546,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
I haven't read anything by him but I will follow your lead and do so. Unfortunately my library only has 3 of his books, but I'll start there after I tackle one that I just got from them:

Why Nations Fail by Daron Acemogue and James Robinson. I'll let y'all know what I think of it. I've managed to read a few of the 100+ free books that I have on my kindle, most of them have been so-so at best so I won't bother to mention them by name.

By the way, I really admire your ability to listen to audio books and to apparently be able to stay focused on them. I know that is not something I can do since I've tried a couple and it was beyond my concentration levels even though they were just fiction and both were stories that I had already read on paper.
Zugor, I am not entirely as focused as you think. I listen to these books while working on projects (mostly textiles like sewing, knitting/crocheting, etc) and driving. There are frequent times when some comment catches me and I realize I missed something critical and have to scroll back. I've been known to scroll back for more than 40 minutes of listening.

This particular book I plan to reserve from the library and review in more depth because I KNOW I missed important facts, and also I want to take some notes and investigate his assertions for myself.

He did make a comment that I felt was stated just for me. The gist of it was that one cannot just read through a book and really read it, unless one is critically reading it. Re-reading, making notes in the margins and going back to read it again after the thought has had time to sink in. He also comments on the nature of the "evolution" [my word choice, not his] of our education system. As he was talking about the changes, I realized that I STOPPED critically reading works in high school because there was just too much reading to do to let it sink in and ponder it.

So, You've brought up a great point -- and something I need to work at getting back to, because of all the human capacities, attentiveness should be the most important (to me).

Old 07-11-2014, 09:19 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,845,164 times
Quote:

My review:
The information about what our US foreign policies have done over the past years, and what is happening today at a domestic and international level set me back on my heels. Sure, I knew that the US uses unnecessary force -- after all, I remember the four students killed at Kent State. I also knew that we are corrupt. I remember Nixon, Reagan, and the Oliver North trials. We all KNOW about Bush and his gallop across the planet in search of "weapons of mass destruction," but even with that knowledge I was set back to learn of the depth of our hypocrisy, intrigue, and blatant undermining of nations' rights and human rights.

We make the Nazis look like boy scouts, and the citizens of the US write off these reports with a nonchalance that is reminiscent of the mythological attitude of Marie Antoinette toward the suffering of her populace: "Let them eat cake." (We just support our troops and wave flags.)

I challenge those that write Chomsky off as a "crack pot, conspiracy theorist" to list just five of his claims and objectively scrutinize the information. If you are like me, you know enough about our history and current actions that you will know he's presenting the facts in an amazingly objective fashion. What's even more amazing is that he believes there is hope and states that it is up to US people to make different choices.

It's up to US.

Next up on my audio list: "For the Time Being," by Annie Dillard; read by Tavia Gilbert
You didn't know that the Nazis got their ideas about Eugenics from America?
Eugenics was practiced in the United States many years before eugenics programs in Nazi Germany[4] and U.S. programs provided much of the inspiration for the latter.

Eugenics in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You might also be interested in~ Emerging Viruses: AIDS and Ebola: Nature, Accident, or Intentional? by Leonard G. Horowitz
Health professionals and those involved in infectious disease research will find Emerging Viruses startling: Harvard researcher Horowitz's studies gather evidence to conclude that AIDS and the Ebola viruses evolved during cancer virus experiments in which monkeys were infected with viral genes from other animals.
Discover how our CDC is guilty of infecting the world with these diseases!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0923550127/...epsb1C465RFHX2

I put absolutely NOTHING past the U.S.Government! If you'd be interested in how the birth of Al Qaeda was right here in America, watch the National Geographic documentary~Triple Cross: Bin Laden's Spy in America My library has it,perhaps yours does also.

Amazon.com: triple cross bin laden's spy in america: Movies & TV

There is also the book,but I have not read it~Triple Cross: How bin Laden's Master Spy Penetrated the CIA, the Green Berets, and the FBI by Peter Lance

Triple Cross: How bin Laden's Master Spy Penetrated the CIA, the Green Berets, and the FBI: Peter Lance: 9780061189418: Amazon.com: Books

Old 07-11-2014, 10:57 AM

4,794 posts, read 2,798,999 times
Default More info on eugenics

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
You didn't know that the Nazis got their ideas about Eugenics from America?
Eugenics was practiced in the United States many years before eugenics programs in Nazi Germany[4] and U.S. programs provided much of the inspiration for the latter.

Eugenics in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yes, very scary reading. See also

War against the weak: eugenics and America's campaign to create a master race /
by Black, Edwin.
New York : Four Walls Eight Windows, c2003.
Subjects

 Eugenics -- United States -- History.

 Sterilization (Birth control) -- United States.

 Human reproduction -- Government policy -- United States.

 United States -- Social policy.

 United States -- Moral conditions.
ISBN:
1568582587 (hardcover)
Description:
xxviii, 550 p., [14] p. of plates : ill. ; 24 cm.

Your local library might have it, that's where I found this one.

Old 07-11-2014, 11:59 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,321,218 times
Quote:

My review:

It's up to US.

I think I would need to read or listen to something a little hopeful like Annie Dillard after that too. But you know, keep in mind that Annie Dillard is also a part of the US.

Old 07-11-2014, 12:56 PM

2,271 posts, read 2,650,101 times
I'm currently reading three cozy mysteries as research/homework.

A Timely Vision by Joyce and Jim Lavene
The Whole Cat and Caboodle by Sofie Ryan
The Quiche of Death by M.C. Beaton

Old 07-11-2014, 02:26 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,932,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plain and simple View Post
I'm currently reading three cozy mysteries as research/homework.

A Timely Vision by Joyce and Jim Lavene
The Whole Cat and Caboodle by Sofie Ryan
The Quiche of Death by M.C. Beaton
Plain and Simple - you are the 12,000 poster on this thread! Pretty cool, huh?

Old 07-11-2014, 02:35 PM

2,271 posts, read 2,650,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
Plain and Simple - you are the 12,000 poster on this thread! Pretty cool, huh?
Wow, I didn't notice that. That's pretty cool, actually!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books