Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2014, 12:46 AM

10,855 posts, read 6,368,233 times

Advertisements

Just finished "Inheritance: How Our Genes Change Our Lives and Our Lives Change Our Genes" by Sharon Moalem (2014)-
author of "Survival of the Sickest", which I read several years ago.

Thought-provoking, but it leaves one restless because it raises so many more questions than it can answer
(epigenetics is fascinating area, but the science is still in its early days).
Plenty of intriguing and obscure case stories, as well as some fresh perspective.
Quote:
"...the old model of "what's best for most people most of the time" has been incredibly effectual at saving and improving lives
but has also been ineffective at best (and dangerous at worst) for certain segments of the population."
Have just started “Trying Not To Try: The Art and Science of Spontaneity” by Edward Slingerland (2014).
Not sure if I'll make it through, the ancient Chinese philosophies are hard for me to wrap my head around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2014, 04:57 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,844,099 times
It's time for some light reading so I started a cozy mystery Hot Dog (A Melanie Travis Mystery) by Laurien Berenson.I didn't finish Jame's Herber's "The Magic Cottage". When I came upon the second sex scene in the first few chapters I quit reading it.

Old 07-14-2014, 07:37 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
It's time for some light reading so I started a cozy mystery Hot Dog (A Melanie Travis Mystery) by Laurien Berenson.I didn't finish Jame's Herber's "The Magic Cottage". When I came upon the second sex scene in the first few chapters I quit reading it.
Yes, as much as I am okay with other's having complete and total freedom to express their sexuality with another consenting adult -- I don't really want to read about it. It's especially inappropriate in books outside the romance genre, I think. A COZY!? TOTALLY inappropriate!

My sister introduced me to a cozy reader's blog that has produced a few gems. You might like to see what she recommends:
A Cozy Girl Reads

Old 07-14-2014, 07:41 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
I read the second chapter of The End of Alice and had to give up. I'm no prude but... ick!

Old 07-14-2014, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Yes, as much as I am okay with other's having complete and total freedom to express their sexuality with another consenting adult -- I don't really want to read about it. It's especially inappropriate in books outside the romance genre, I think. A COZY!? TOTALLY inappropriate!

My sister introduced me to a cozy reader's blog that has produced a few gems. You might like to see what she recommends:
A Cozy Girl Reads

Oh no,"The Magic Cottage" isn't a cozy,it's a ghost/supernatural story.

Thanks for the cozy link.

Old 07-14-2014, 11:03 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,890,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I read the second chapter of The End of Alice and had to give up. I'm no prude but... ick!
Don't say you weren't warned! I felt "dirty" after reading it.

There goes your thing with "Alice" books....

Old 07-14-2014, 09:29 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
Oh no,"The Magic Cottage" isn't a cozy,it's a ghost/supernatural story.

Thanks for the cozy link.
That's what happens when I read posts with my first cup of coffee! I went from the Melanie Travis mystery to the sex scene and completely missed Herber's "Magic Cottage"!

Old 07-14-2014, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
That's what happens when I read posts with my first cup of coffee! I went from the Melanie Travis mystery to the sex scene and completely missed Herber's "Magic Cottage"!
LOL, been there, done that myself! I finished the Melanie Travis cozy,and enjoyed it.Now want to start either the well rated Kindle Freebie cozy~ Foreclosed: A Mitzy Neuhaus Mystery (A Mitzy Neuhaus Mystery Book 1) by Traci Tyne Hilton,or Pies and Prejudice (A Charmed Pie Shoppe Mystery) by Ellery Adams

Old 07-15-2014, 01:57 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,449,271 times
I'm pretty much finished with "If I Did It," by O.J. Simpson. Interesting read, which I took with a grain of salt. Most of it was him telling the story of his and Nicole's life together from the time they met until her death.

Next up is James Patterson's "Jack and Jill" -#3 in the Alex Cross series. I noticed yesterday he seems to have some books with "Cross" in the title that aren't Alex Cross books. That's a little confusing!

Old 07-16-2014, 07:03 AM

36,413 posts, read 16,023,456 times
Just finished Wild Fire by Nelson DeMille, (John Corey Series). I still think Gold Coast and Gate House are his best. Going to start The Whole Truth by David Baldacci (A. Shaw Series).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books