Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2014, 11:35 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,428,694 times

Advertisements

Finished Fire Season by David Weber and Jane Lindskold last night.
Second book in the Star Kingdom series.

Now to find #3 Treecat Wars
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2014, 03:49 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
OK, book and animal lovers--think about putting We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves on your TBR list. Near the top. I'm not much of a book reviewer, but this is what Alice Sebold said about it:
Quote:
A dark, cautionary tale hanging out, incognito style, in what at first seems a traditional family narrative. It is anything but. This novel is deliciously jaunty in tone and disturbing in material. Karen Joy Fowler tells the story of how one animal--the animal of man--can simultaneously destroy and expand our notion of what is possible.
I'll just say I loved it.

Old 07-18-2014, 10:02 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,367,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Next up is Five Days at Memorial : Life and death in a storm-ravaged hospital by Sheri Fink.

Memorial Hospital is in New Orleans.
The "five days" take place during Katrina.
Fink, the author, won a Pulitzer Prize for reporting on the tragedy at Memorial.

I started this book last September and somehow I got waylaid by something else and didn't really get into it. I'm giving it another shot.
^I read that one a few months back, found it quite fascinating & engrossing (disaster intrigues me).
Looking up maps of elevation and layout of areas within/around New Orleans helped me comprehend the info. better, since I wasn't that familiar with the region.
After that, I read Douglas Brinkley's "Deluge" on the same topic.

Anyway, finished my last couple library books & picked up a couple more:
"The Blue Man and Other Stories of the Skin" by Dr. Robert Norman (2014)
"Stuff Matters: Exploring the Marvelous Materials that Shape Our Man-Made World" by Mark Miodownik (2013)

Old 07-19-2014, 12:07 PM

3,299 posts, read 3,023,195 times
Just finished 600 Hours of Edward by Craig Lancaster and enjoyed it so much, I immediately went online and purchased the sequel.

Now on to The Making of a Marchioness by Frances Hodgson Burnett (saw part of the film adaptation on PBS the other night and was intrigued, and happy to see that it is in the public domain and free to download onto my Kindle).

Old 07-19-2014, 01:36 PM

1,205 posts, read 2,688,349 times
Fort Freak by George R. R. Martin

It said author of Game of Thrones on the cover, I haven't seen the show yet but its supposed be good and it caught my eye.

Old 07-20-2014, 07:38 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,205 times
I'm still enthralled with Andre Vltchek's "Point of No Return" and even though I still have 58 pages to finish I already want to shout out "EVERYONE: READ THIS BOOK!" but that's not why I stopped in.

I know some people prefer short stories and I just came across a book reading description in Seattle's "The Stranger" that was very complimentary of this one:
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...terfly_Stories

Here's the description of Vollmann's work:
http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/Event?event=20056082

Have a happy Sunday, All!

Old 07-20-2014, 08:32 PM

4,794 posts, read 2,797,961 times
Default White cap, please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Finished Fire Season by David Weber and Jane Lindskold last night.
Second book in the Star Kingdom series.

Now to find #3 Treecat Wars

If it's Weber of the Harrington/Manticore series (with treecats, I assume so) - he's a favorite. Harrington is a pleasure to watch develop as a sailor & as a person.

Old 07-21-2014, 02:24 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,385,004 times
I browsed through ebay last weekend and bought two books for my to read pile :

Salmon Fishing in the Yemen by Paul Torday and a German book with stories about an Italian family. The titles sounded funny so I thought I could read them sometime. Hopefully sometime soon.

Now I'm 16% deep into "The Fiery Cross" by Diana Gabaldon. I don't have any illusions I'll make it through the next three books before the series starts

Old 07-21-2014, 05:21 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,843,617 times
Finished the cozy mystery ~Pies and Prejudice (A Charmed Pie Shoppe Mystery) by Ellery Adams, which was pretty cute but just ok,because there was far too much focus and detail on the food.

Now going to start ...The Oath by Frank Peretti

The Oath: A Novel: Frank E. Peretti: 9780849911781: Amazon.com: Books

I sometimes read Christian fiction to avoid the profanity,sex,and gruesome gore in much of the secular fiction,but I can't stand religious proselytizing either,so hope there isn't much in this.

Old 07-21-2014, 06:10 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times
I finished The Giver and my daughter and I enjoyed our little "mini book club". What a powerful book! I'm not sure how I feel about the ending and am still processing some of the subtleties, but I am looking forward to the next one (daughter has it right now).

I did watch a preview trailer for the movie, and as expected, was disappointed. The kids are too old and the community looked much larger and more sophisticated than it did in my imagination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books