Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2014, 09:12 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times

Advertisements

The wedding gift and Tigers in red weather ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 11:17 AM

4,794 posts, read 2,798,355 times
Default Rabbits for pets or meat

"The Sixth Extinction: An Unnatural History is a 2014 nonfiction book written by Elizabeth Kolbert and published by Henry Holt & Company. The book covers past mass extinctions and demonstrates that the earth and humans are in the midst of a "sixth" mass extinction. She chronicles previous mass species extinction events, as well as specific species extinguished by humans thousands of years ago, centuries ago, such as the great auk; and she includes the accelerated widespread extinction of many species during our present time. Kolbert also describes prehistoric and historic ecologies surrounding prior and near-present species extinguishing events."

Henry Holt Co., c 2014. Pages: 319 illustrations, notes, bibliography, index.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sixth_Extinction_(book) See the URL for the complete article.

The oceans are acidifying, once the reefs all die - by 2050, @ some estimates - a lot of life that depends on the reefs will die out. Ocean catches are plunging, we're hauling in more & more fish that we didn't use to eat. If weather trends continue, we'll have problems raising enough pasturage for meat animals. In short - wild animals are going to the wall, have been for sometime. An important read - not for the kiddies, though.

Old 07-23-2014, 12:42 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
I don't really remember how I came across this one, nor do I have such a keen interest in midwifery, but I'm enjoying this novel: The Midwife of Hope River by Patricia Harman.

Old 07-23-2014, 01:00 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,745,083 times
I am reading Odd Billy Todd by N.C. Reed first time author and pretty good first attempt. Also that it was pretty cheap at 3.00 bucks for amazon digital.

Basically about a socially awkward, and simple minded young man that helps the last survivors and home town community after a virus outbreaks kills about 85 percent of the population. The author actually put a lot of thought in some really Grimm realities that some of these end of the world as we know it stories don't cover. I really like the beginning of the book where it did appear that Billy might have been the last man on earth and how he wins the trust of a feral dog.

Obviously the author is very familair with survival knowledge and the tactical aspect of it, but reading from a character like Billy that doesn't think of himself as smart, but is on a intuitive level is refreshing.

Old 07-23-2014, 08:09 PM

37 posts, read 25,689 times
You can't judge a book by it's title, so most of us read reviews on Amazon. Here are a few you may want to check out.

To Kill a Mocking Bird. Harper Lee. (Is this the Great American Novel ?)

Care of the Soul. Thomas Moore

The Paris Wife. Paula McLain.

Cutting for Stone. Abraham Verghese.

The Swerve. Stephen Greenblatt.

Paradise Alley. Kevin Baker.

In the Garden of Beasts. Erik Larson.

Destiny of the Republic. Candice Millard.

Buddha in the Attic. Julie Otsuka.

Far from the Tree. Andrew Solomon.

Those are 10 books. I made myself stop.

Old 07-23-2014, 08:53 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I don't really remember how I came across this one, nor do I have such a keen interest in midwifery, but I'm enjoying this novel: The Midwife of Hope River by Patricia Harman.
I checked and I bought the kindle book in March 2014 and it is not something I would ordinarily be interested in. At first I thought maybe it was a freebie on that day. Nope. It was just under $9.00.

So, the conclusion I draw on this is that someone wrote good stuff about it in this forum back in March and you and I both bought the book. It's been known to happen. If I wasn't so lazy I'd go back in the forum to see if someone recommended it in March. Actually, I'll probably do that because I do love to snoop around.

Old 07-23-2014, 09:01 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubanchic View Post
I am reading Odd Billy Todd by N.C. Reed first time author and pretty good first attempt. Also that it was pretty cheap at 3.00 bucks for amazon digital.

Basically about a socially awkward, and simple minded young man that helps the last survivors and home town community after a virus outbreaks kills about 85 percent of the population. The author actually put a lot of thought in some really Grimm realities that some of these end of the world as we know it stories don't cover. I really like the beginning of the book where it did appear that Billy might have been the last man on earth and how he wins the trust of a feral dog.

Obviously the author is very familair with survival knowledge and the tactical aspect of it, but reading from a character like Billy that doesn't think of himself as smart, but is on a intuitive level is refreshing.
Thanks, Cubanchic. You sold me on this one with your remarks. I just downloaded it. I like books about survival and this one has a twist in it. Billy. He is already reminding me of Bill "M.O.O.N. That spells moon" Cullen in The Stand. I also love stories where humans and animals bond.

Old 07-24-2014, 07:27 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I checked and I bought the kindle book in March 2014 and it is not something I would ordinarily be interested in. At first I thought maybe it was a freebie on that day. Nope. It was just under $9.00.

So, the conclusion I draw on this is that someone wrote good stuff about it in this forum back in March and you and I both bought the book. It's been known to happen. If I wasn't so lazy I'd go back in the forum to see if someone recommended it in March. Actually, I'll probably do that because I do love to snoop around.

I had put The Unit on my wish list on Amazon because someone mentioned it here (maybe Dawn??). someone brought it up again in another thread so I checked my library and there is an ebook so I got it. I'll read it after I finish my current book (even though I was thinking The Giver). I love those little reminders that pop up.

Old 07-24-2014, 08:29 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Thanks, Cubanchic. You sold me on this one with your remarks. I just downloaded it. I like books about survival and this one has a twist in it. Billy. He is already reminding me of Bill "M.O.O.N. That spells moon" Cullen in The Stand. I also love stories where humans and animals bond.
You gotta put We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves on your list if you haven't already read it. Sweet, funny, sad, heartbreaking.

Old 07-24-2014, 08:53 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,374,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubanchic View Post

This sounds quite interesting and I do think that of all the possible catastrophes that might befall humanity this is the most likely scenario in the near term. I decided to buy it despite the 3 unread library books that are due back in less than a week, the 50 or more physical books on my shelves and the 160+ books on my Kindle that are all waiting patiently to be read.

Thanks for the recommendation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books