Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2009, 03:12 PM

15,893 posts, read 18,277,921 times

Advertisements

I am trying to read "The Reader" again. I tried to read it a few years back and could not stay with it. Maybe this time it will take. : )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 10:24 AM

2,002 posts, read 4,577,317 times
Just finished "The Sorcerer's Circle" by Michael Siverling. It's one of those books to read just once, with stereotypical characters. It's about a young PI investigating a murder.

Let's see if D. Koontz raises the bar xD

Old 05-27-2009, 12:06 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,746,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
After finishing the Dark Tower series, I looked back at the front of the book where they had the list of all of King's books and noticed they had bolded the titles of the books that had any link to the series. So I'm rereading some of those now, trying to find the links. Some of them are obvious with character overlaps and plots that hinge on the world in which the Tower series takes place. The one I'm reading now, (Rose Madder) I had read so long ago I don't even remember the plot! So it's going to be fun to figure out how it links to the Tower world.
I don't usually quote and reply to my own posts, but this time I thought I should do that to clarify my points. I had said I didn't remember the plot of "Rose Madder". Well it turned out that was because I'd never read it! I've had that book on my bookshelves for 14 years and never read anything but the front cover flap! The links to the Tower series don't become obvious until about half way through the book and then only if you've read the series. It has to do with 'doors' and 'windows' into another world, as well as the language used by the characters in that other world. The book is mainly about an abused wife (abused for 14 years - the same number of years I've had the book without reading it!) and what she goes through in order to escape. Even without the 'other worldly' aspects, King seems to be able to get inside the heads of both the abused and the abuser. I've seen that in his writing in at least two other books he's written - Bag of Bones and Lisey's Story - in which he deals with grief. Took me a long time to read Bag of Bones because it was published right after my husband's death and what the main character was going through so matched my own sense of grief at the time, I just wasn't able to get past the first few pages. Finally read it just a couple of years ago.

Old 05-28-2009, 03:16 PM

2,689 posts, read 6,924,416 times
Just finished "We Bought A Zoo" and I'm now reading "Pieces Of My Heart (Robert Wagner's memoirs).

Looks like I'm on a memoirs trip lately.

Old 05-28-2009, 06:47 PM

756 posts, read 2,216,206 times
I am reading "The Host" by Stephanie Meyer. I loved the Twilight series but I can't get into this book. I am having a hard time reading it - it's boring! Anyone else read it and did you like it?

Old 05-29-2009, 12:00 AM

3,943 posts, read 6,363,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canibeyou View Post
Just finished "We Bought A Zoo" and I'm now reading "Pieces Of My Heart (Robert Wagner's memoirs).

Looks like I'm on a memoirs trip lately.
I love memoirs.

Old 05-29-2009, 07:17 AM

13,384 posts, read 28,670,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I am trying to read "The Reader" again. I tried to read it a few years back and could not stay with it. Maybe this time it will take. : )

I actually watched the movie first and then read the book
Movie followed the book pretty close..book because I could reread passages helped in making sense out of movie...both book & movie very intense

Old 05-29-2009, 08:24 AM

2,260 posts, read 5,606,744 times
I finished The Book Thief at about 1:00 this morning. It was so, so, so good. I highly recommend it.

Now I'm reading A Pint of Plain (did I post that already?). It's non-fiction, really amusing.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:21 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,746,770 times
Nothing 'heavy' or enlightening this time around - just started rereading the Harry Potter series. Since it might be a while before I can afford any new books, guess I'll be rereading a lot of the books on my book shelves. Or maybe I'll get off my butt and head to the library. That will have to be on weekends though, since my son is using my car to get back and forth to work during the week. I really don't go out much, but it sucks not having a car available when I DO want to go somewhere.

Old 05-29-2009, 10:17 AM

1,458 posts, read 4,125,598 times
I have been reading the same 2 books for a few weeks now!

The Zanzibar Chest would appear to be appealing to me, but every time I pick it up it feels like I'm starting over.

Wild Swans is very good. I didn't realize it was nonfiction. It is mostly the story of an entusiastically communist family during China's communist and then Cultural revolutions. While I've read alot on China, usually it is set before this period. So just how destructive and violent it was has been surprising to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books