Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2014, 04:53 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,844,099 times

Advertisements

I finished The Oath by Frank Peretti and was happy that there was less religious proselytizing[he is a Christian Thriller author] than the book's introduction would lead one to believe. It definitely kept me engaged,with great suspense,and loved the characters.

Now since getting my first smartphone Friday before last and ordering a Kindle Fire Tablet which should arrive tomorrow,I have been sidetracked with books such as~
My Samsung Galaxy S 4

Samsung Galaxy S 4 for Dummies

Amazing Android Apps for Dummies

Android Tablets for Dummies

Kindle Fire HDX for Dummies

Kindle Fire HDX in Easy Steps

My Kindle Fire HDX

so I'm pretty sure that it is going to be at least another week before I get back to reading some good escapism fiction,lol! I'm thinking the next on my list and I have my library's copy here will be....
First Impressions: An Amish Tale of Pride and Prejudice (The Amish Classics) by Sarah Price

First Impressions: An Amish Tale of Pride and Prejudice (The Amish Classics): Sarah Price: 9781621366072: Amazon.com: Books

Which since I am an avid P & P fan I am very excited to get into!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2014, 06:06 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Aw, crap. That sounds like another book for me. I totally get why someone would do that. A few years ago a friend wanted me to go with her husband on his hìtchhiking/roughing it trip through India. It wasn't her thing. Alas, I had and have critters to take care of but I was sorely tempted.

And aw, double crap. That reminds me of all the classics that I would like to reread.
You are on your own with the Hindu Kush, NW, but if you send me your postal address I can ship you the Stevenson essays. (It's a 1925 publication and I am pretty sure it's out of print.) Alternatively, you can read it online:
http://www.robert-louis-stevenson.or...dies-men-books

Happy Monday, All!

Old 07-28-2014, 03:31 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I picked back up Flight Behavior by Barbara Kingsolver. I started it a few weeks ago then put it down for another book and picked it back up to give it another go. This is my first Barbara Kingsolver book - lots and lots of description! I am on page 16 and a woman has walked up a hill for 16 pages. That's it. I am loving the words and phrases and images, but I could use a little bit of a story now. I'll carry on....
Flight Behavior wasn't my favorite Kingsolver book, but I enjoyed it. I really liked Animal Dreams and The Poisonwood Bible.

Finished The Secret History and I liked it a lot, but not quite as much as The Goldfinch.

Now I'm on to A Constellation of Vital Phenomena by Anthony Marra. It was recommended on here by Dawn, I think. It's good so far, but I feel a need to read up on the Chechen (Sp?) conflict of the 1990's. I'm woefully ignorant of what happened, but am getting bits and pieces from the book.

Old 07-28-2014, 03:33 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
"As I Lay Dying" - Faulkner. I am having a Southern Gothic Summer. I haven't read some of these books in over 25 years. Yet, others are newer.

Next up - "Other Voices, Other Rooms".
If you're on a Southern Gothic kick and are not familiar with William Gay, give his stuff a look. I read a novel and a collection of short stories by him years ago. One of the short stories haunts me to this day.

Old 07-29-2014, 04:57 AM

4,724 posts, read 4,415,751 times
I did want to mention that THE GOOD LUCK OF RIGHT NOW by Matthew Quick is really captivating and a great read. I am a bit more than halfway through it and highly recommend it.

I forgot to mention that I did read (and finish!! which makes me proud) To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf. It did keep me reading it, but I so agree with the descriptive stuff. I did find it hard to stay focused and not really sure I kept it all together but it was a nice change. Reading the comment about Flight Behavior and 16 pages walking up a hill made me remember this. I think had the book been longer I might not have stuck with it. I will at some point try to read more of Woolf though...

Last edited by Mayvenne; 07-29-2014 at 04:59 AM.. Reason: order

Old 07-29-2014, 09:10 AM

758 posts, read 1,639,467 times
I finished Stranger in a Strange Land. Man, that was tough to get through! The first 1/3 (1/2?) of the book was fairly interesting, but after that...ugh. I don't know if it is just that the book didn't age well or what. But it left me with a bad taste in my mouth.

Right now I'm working my way through A Woman in White by Wilkie Collins. So far so good, but I'm fighting temptation to go back and read A Song of Ice and Fire for the 3rd time.

Old 07-29-2014, 10:44 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
You are on your own with the Hindu Kush, NW, but if you send me your postal address I can ship you the Stevenson essays. (It's a 1925 publication and I am pretty sure it's out of print.) Alternatively, you can read it online:
http://www.robert-louis-stevenson.or...dies-men-books

Happy Monday, All!
Thanks for the offer. Eek. I might have to stop reading this forum for a while. Too many books, too little time. Seeing Stevenson's name just brought back so many authors I would like to reread. I am now on We Are Completely Beside Ourselves. But I have a lot of work to do once again, so I don't know how much reading I will get around to doing.

Old 07-29-2014, 10:50 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,098,093 times
I decided to re-read the Harry Potter books over the summer. I had forgotten how delightful they are. I've breezed through them and am finishing up the last one. I should be done tonight or tomorrow. I can't put them down. =)

Old 07-29-2014, 01:04 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,834,047 times
Black Sheep One: The Life of Gregory "Pappy" Boyington.

also

Translating/annotating a WWI U-boat commander memoir for publishing this Fall.

Old 07-29-2014, 07:40 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,326,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgemo2 View Post
I finished Stranger in a Strange Land. Man, that was tough to get through! The first 1/3 (1/2?) of the book was fairly interesting, but after that...ugh. I don't know if it is just that the book didn't age well or what. But it left me with a bad taste in my mouth.
Lol. I had the same experience. The book was a work of it's time and did not age well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books