Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2014, 08:55 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,519,027 times

Advertisements

Worldwar: In the Balance is about an alien race that comes to earth in 1942 during WWII and messes up most of the world. Quite and entertaining book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2014, 07:14 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,373,551 times
I've been reading Fever by Mary Beth Keane, a fictionalized account of Typhoid Mary. I'm guessing that I bought this for two reasons, one - that I like medical stuff both fact and fiction and two, that Mary came to this country from Ireland in the late 1800s at the age of 15 and eventually became a cook for wealthy families in NYC. My maternal grandmother came from Sweden at about the same time and was also just 15 when she came here and she too wound up becoming a cook for several wealthy families and eventually for an aunt of FDR. I thought I might get some insights to what her life might have been like but I am 15% of the way through the story and just bored by it. The main character is as flat a card board cutout and I feel no empathy or interest in what is happening to her.

I am very close to finished with Confidence Men by Ron Suskind and now have a very different picture of what the first year or so of President Obama's first term was like. I'm left with the belief that he had great hope of accomplishing many good things for the nation but in fact was not actually ready for this incredibly difficult job and more importantly he made too many terrible choices about who he picked to be his closest advisers and appointees. It makes me really wonder just how much choice any president really has in the matter. It seems like Wall St has far too much power and that any person in the Oval Office has far less power than we might think. He forgot that wonderful saying "We campaign in poetry but govern in prose".

I'm trying to decide if I want to go back and try to finish The Goldfinch which I stopped reading months ago because I was not finding the actions of some of the characters very believable, especially the mother.

I'm wondering if many of you take a little time to write reviews at Amazon or Goodreads or other sources, especially if you felt the book was either a very good one or a very bad one. I know that I certainly appreciate the reviews I read here and elsewhere and find them helpful in deciding whether or not a book might be worth my time. Over time I've gotten to know this relatively small community of readers and to know whether or not a book mentioned by someone here might be to my liking.

Old 08-04-2014, 08:13 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
I'm wondering if many of you take a little time to write reviews at Amazon or Goodreads or other sources, especially if you felt the book was either a very good one or a very bad one. I know that I certainly appreciate the reviews I read here and elsewhere and find them helpful in deciding whether or not a book might be worth my time. Over time I've gotten to know this relatively small community of readers and to know whether or not a book mentioned by someone here might be to my liking.
I never write any reviews because I never seem to be able to say anything other than "I liked it" or "I didn't like it." I do love reading good reviews though and always appreciate yours.

On that note, I just finished A Constellation of Vital Phenomena by Anthony Marra and found it very moving. It reminded me of both Cutting for Stone and And the Mountains Echoed. It takes place in Chechnya during the 1990's and 2000's and at first I thought I might not understand it because I know nothing about the history of Chechnya. But some quick reading on Wikipedia gave me context and the author necessarily weaves enough history into the story that it is both accessible and enjoyable. "Enjoyable" might not be the best word, because it is very dark, but also gives hope for the ability of people to behave kindly and honorably even when faced with the worst the world has to offer.

Old 08-04-2014, 08:43 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,252,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I never write any reviews because I never seem to be able to say anything other than "I liked it" or "I didn't like it." I do love reading good reviews though and always appreciate yours.

On that note, I just finished A Constellation of Vital Phenomena by Anthony Marra and found it very moving. It reminded me of both Cutting for Stone and And the Mountains Echoed. It takes place in Chechnya during the 1990's and 2000's and at first I thought I might not understand it because I know nothing about the history of Chechnya. But some quick reading on Wikipedia gave me context and the author necessarily weaves enough history into the story that it is both accessible and enjoyable. "Enjoyable" might not be the best word, because it is very dark, but also gives hope for the ability of people to behave kindly and honorably even when faced with the worst the world has to offer.
Marlow, we are on the same wave length as I finished Marra's book yesterday after a run of mediocre books. I haven't yet read Cutting for Stone, but it did remind of Hosseini's books. Marra is only in his twenties, and if this book is any indication, he has a great future in store. Marra lived in eastern Europe and the book is meticulously researched. Although extremely disturbing and sad in parts (I had to skip a few pages), it also provides a bit of humor and hope for the future. It's particularly relevant as we are learning how far our own government went in the torture area. A must read book.

I only post on C-D book forum and read Amazon reviews usually after I've finished a book because some of the comments are so well written they help me sort out my own thoughts. Amazon supposedly has cracked down on reviews by paid posters, relatives and friends of the author.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:02 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
Marlow, we are on the same wave length as I finished Marra's book yesterday after a run of mediocre books. I haven't yet read Cutting for Stone, but it did remind of Hosseini's books. Marra is only in his twenties, and if this book is any indication, he has a great future in store. Marra lived in eastern Europe and the book is meticulously researched. Although extremely disturbing and sad in parts (I had to skip a few pages), it also provides a bit of humor and hope for the future. It's particularly relevant as we are learning how far our own government went in the torture area. A must read book.

I only post on C-D book forum and read Amazon reviews usually after I've finished a book because some of the comments are so well written they help me sort out my own thoughts. Amazon supposedly has cracked down on reviews by paid posters, relatives and friends of the author.
I like to think about both of us sitting on our respective couches on opposite ends of the country reading and being wowed by that book yesterday. And yes, I agree with you about Marra and his future.

Old 08-04-2014, 10:25 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,373,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I just finished Odd Billy Todd by N. C. Reed. I've done little else than read this book for the last 3 days.
I really enjoyed it. It's right up my alley because I like to read about survival and preppers. There are a lot of very good, decent people in the book.
Ketabcha I just got an email about a book you might be interested in and the Kindle edition is on sale until Aug 8th:

World Made by Hand: A Novel - Kindle edition by James Howard Kunstler. Literature & Fiction Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:41 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,312,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
Ketabcha I just got an email about a book you might be interested in and the Kindle edition is on sale until Aug 8th:

World Made by Hand: A Novel - Kindle edition by James Howard Kunstler. Literature & Fiction Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.
Yes, indeed, zugor. The story sounds good. Thank you so much.

Old 08-04-2014, 01:20 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,929,449 times
I am on the fourth book in The Giver quartet (The Giver, Gathering Blue, Messenger and now Son)

I have really enjoyed the experience of reading these books and see why they are so compelling for young people. My 19 yr. old daughter and I have been reading them together and talking our way through (making sure to avoid spoilers for the one of us who gets behind!). I know how fortunate I am to have this experience with her and it makes the reading that much more meaningful!

Old 08-04-2014, 07:30 PM

8,665 posts, read 5,842,780 times
I am having a hard time keeping away from my new smart phone and Kindle Fire HDX,but every chance I get I find myself picking up....First Impressions: An Amish Tale of Pride and Prejudice (The Amish Classics) by Sarah Price . If, like myself, you are an avid fan of Amish Fiction and Pride And Prejudice,this is a unique and pleasing blend of the two.I am pleased with the writing of this new-to-me-author,and excited for more work by her.

Old 08-04-2014, 08:29 PM

4,795 posts, read 2,797,347 times
Default Great expectations

Quote:
Originally Posted by STB93 View Post
Worldwar: In the Balance is about an alien race that comes to earth in 1942 during WWII and messes up most of the world. Quite and entertaining book.

Yah, Turtledove is great fun to read. He has a take on military history, the diplomatic wheeling & dealing, the clash of cultures - human & not. It's a good ride.

As I recall, he tells the various stories from several POVs - & keeps all the balls in the air. He makes it look easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books