Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2014, 06:33 PM

2,271 posts, read 2,649,850 times

Advertisements

The Gateway. Book One of the Leven Thumps series, by Obert Skye.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2014, 07:04 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,596,930 times
Just finished the first two books in the Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss. Am now reading S by Doug Dorst and JJ Abrams, but haven't quite figured out how I should read it.

Last edited by Grizzly Addams; 08-16-2014 at 07:16 PM..

Old 08-17-2014, 10:22 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times
Finished Call The Midwife and am now reading The Midwife of Hope River.

Old 08-17-2014, 11:17 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
at home in Mitford by Jan Karon and yes she has a new one coming out for all you fans out there ...Somewhere safe with someone good comes out sept 2 2014 ...I almost cant wait ...

Old 08-18-2014, 07:21 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Happy Monday, friends!

Finished listening to "Mr. Mercedes" by Stephen King; read by Will Patton

There was a lot to like about this book, the writing being foremost. Mr. King has a talent that is rarely surpassed for his readability, character development, plot, his turns of phrase. I only wish he wrote a different genre. I liked all his characters except for Mr. Mercedes, and I was SO chilled by him that it overcast my enjoyment of the writer behind him. (The same was true of Patricia Cornwell novels.)

Sick, sick, twisted, and sick.

I decided to give up on Voltaire's collection. I enjoyed the first two, but I could tell that my ignorance of the historic context that he was satirizing was inhibiting my fully appreciating it. (Ditto for Dante's "Inferno.")

I've been reading "The Nature Lover," by Susan Vreeland, but when three requested library books arrived simutaneously, and only three weeks to read them I knew I had to set it aside. (I am a slow reader.)

Of the three, I am presently reading: "They Were Soldiers: How the Wounded Return from America's Wars: The Untold Story," by Ann Jones. I am only into the second (short) chapter and already can tell it is one I will recommend that everyone read -- especially flag-wavers that "support our troops."

Following are:
"Christine Falls," by Benjamin Black
"Call Me Zelda," by Erika Robuck

Old 08-18-2014, 08:42 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
Finished Wool by Hugh Howey and immediately downloaded the prequel, Shift. IMO Wool had some fairly large holes in the plot, but was still remarkable for the detailed world Howey created. So far, I'm not as interested in the Shift characters and am having some trouble buying the premise, but we'll see.

Old 08-18-2014, 08:46 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,374,594 times
I recently read How Dogs Love Us: A Neuroscientist and His Adopted Dog Decode the Canine Brain by Gregory Berns. He is a researcher at Emory University and with his team they trained several dogs to hold still in an MRI device so that they could do some fMRI's on them without sedating or restraining them in any way other than the same sort of "cage" that would be used on a human to help steady their heads. They came up with some surprising results. An interesting read if you like this sort of thing. They went through a lot of hot dogs in the training, to say the least.

I followed up this book with a light novel Dogs Aren't Men by Billi Tiner. The storyline, about a young female vet was rather predictable and when I finished it I was surprised to find that the author is a veterinarian since much of what occurred at her clinic seemed simplistic and did not reflect any of my experiences in such situations (and with all the dogs I've owned or fostered over the past 25 years it's plenty).

I do want to get back to Deep Pools, about trading on Wall St. but the book almost seems like scary science fiction of computers gone wild and automated programs creating havoc on a massive scale. It's due back at the library on Friday so I'd best get with it.

With thunderstorms expected all day it's a good one for doing laundry and reading.

Hope you all get plenty of enjoyable reading time this week.

Old 08-18-2014, 11:55 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,429,770 times
Started Kings of the North by Elizabeth Moon, in her Paksenarrion universe.
So far, so good.

But I've been using my Kindle so much, I forgot how difficult it can be to read a hardback in bed

Old 08-18-2014, 07:59 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
The Princess Bride by William Goldman.

Old 08-18-2014, 08:11 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
The Princess Bride by William Goldman.
I love that book and have read it several times. I stumbled across it at the library years ago, before they made the movie, and was enchanted. Hope you enjoy it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books