Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2014, 09:59 AM

15,893 posts, read 18,175,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I'm a few pages into South of Broad by Pat Conroy. I've been a fan of his for years and I've owned the book for years as well, but I still hadn't/haven't read it. It was a rainy day and I could have been reading, but instead I went for a walk in the rain with the dogs and did other non-reading stuff. But I think it is safe to say that I like it, although I am tired of the first person. Lately I seem to be coming across nothing but first person books.
It's a good book, net. Heck, all his books are good. I enjoyed the history of the characters and, in particular, the stories of the old homes. The "mystery" is interesting, too. Very few authors can capture the physical environment as well as Conroy can. He literally transports the reader in such a gentle way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2014, 09:59 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,338,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplesky
I recently listened to "THe Mirror" by Maryls Millhiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Thanks…that one sounds good to me
Originally published in the late 70's, it's a little bit dated (no cell phones or computers. Would have changed the story a lot) but I can recommend it also. Think I've read it 5 or 6 times, LOL.
Oh, and it's Marlys Millhiser

Old 09-01-2014, 10:37 AM

20,549 posts, read 30,238,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Originally published in the late 70's, it's a little bit dated (no cell phones or computers. Would have changed the story a lot) but I can recommend it also. Think I've read it 5 or 6 times, LOL.
Oh, and it's Marlys Millhiser
I just ordered it from my library. I also saw the date. It's funny to read books when the characters are searching for a pay phone

Old 09-01-2014, 02:54 PM

335 posts, read 406,879 times
Oops The Harbinger by Jonathan Cahn is at 120 weeks ad counting NY Times best
seller . Not for folks turned off by bibical stuff that focuses on warnings on America
by God and 2015 (7 years from the last financial crisis). Seculars will not "get " Gods
number 7 etc. Cahn inspite of this maybe one of the most significant people of this
century, but too humble to accept ANY credit for his genius. I met him and later cried
It was overwhelming to meet a modern icon and mentor. He writes like he articulates
(few aahhs and pleasant nonpretentious persona)

Old 09-01-2014, 03:03 PM

20,549 posts, read 30,238,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
We started using the library almost exclusively when we started actually tracking our personal expenses and saw how much we were spending on our reading! (We could've bought a car!) Now we still buy some books, but mostly it's the library.

I either use the library, buy "very cheap" used books, or download free books. I save about $1000.00 per year doing that

I love my library

Old 09-01-2014, 03:13 PM

8,665 posts, read 5,783,951 times
I really enjoyed the vintage mystery[first published in 1909]~ 'The Man in Lower Ten by Mary Roberts Rinehart'

http://www.amazon.com/Man-Lower-Mary...n+in+lower+ten

It was a fun read,because it was so different,and it kept my interest from beginning to end.Really felt in the scenes with the characters.

Now,I hope to find a really sweet romance,that is not full of some silly misunderstanding between the hero/heroine that could easily be resolved if they had an open/honest discussion,or no threat hanging over either one for the entire book! I can't stand books like that!

I want a nice sweet courtship between two likeable characters.I'm sure I have some handy on my Kindle,just have to review some of my titles on Amazon.

Old 09-01-2014, 04:00 PM

2,322 posts, read 916,521 times
I'm starting The Brutal Telling by Louise Penny.

I wanted to read How the Light Gets In because of the beautiful cover (I only read covers, I can read 2 or 3 covers... cover and cover) I undress... digress. I mean digress. Like I was saying, I wanted to start with HTLGI but a reviewer on amazon suggested starting with book 6 because something happens in between books 5 and 6. So I figured I start with book 5(what some refer to as her breakout novel).

I hope I enjoy her writing and story. I have started and given up on some many books this year, I'm starting to feel guilty. I don't like feeling like reading is a chore.

Happy Labor Day!

Old 09-01-2014, 04:31 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,717,646 times
^^^ Wait! Wait! You'll want to read Penny's Inspector Gamache mysteries in their proper order!! Seriously.

She's a great author and there four novels ahead of The Brutal Telling. Her cast of main characters are the same and so much is dependent on what came before.

Here are all the books, in order:

Still Life
A Fatal Grace
The Cruelest Month
A Rule Against Murder
The Brutal Telling
Bury Your Dead
A Trick of the Light
The Beautiful Mystery
How the Light Gets In
The Long Way Home

I've just finished the newest one, The Long Way Home, and it's superb.
Louise Penny is my favourite author right now and she just never disappoints.

ETA:
Quote:
but a reviewer on amazon suggested starting with book 6 because something happens in between books 5 and 6. So I figured I start with book 5(what some refer to as her breakout novel).
I don't agree with this AT ALL. You'll miss so much if you do it that way. In my opinion, of course.

The very first one was the winner of the New Blood Dagger, Arthur Ellis, Barry, Anthony, and Dilys awards.

Last edited by Macrina; 09-01-2014 at 04:45 PM..

Old 09-01-2014, 04:37 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,261,346 times
Moby Dick

Old 09-01-2014, 04:45 PM

2,322 posts, read 916,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
^^^ Wait! Wait! You'll want to read Penny's Inspector Gamache mysteries in their proper order!! Seriously.

She's a great author and there four novels ahead of The Brutal Telling. Her cast of main characters are the same and so much is dependent on what came before.

I've just finished The Long Way Home, and it's superb.
Louise Penny is my favourite author right now and she just never disappoints.

I don't agree with this AT ALL. You'll miss so much if you do it that way. In my opinion, of course.

And I think I remember that her first book won an award, or more than one....I'll go check.
Macrina, I'm trusting you and Fiona and will start with Still Life.

I was waiting for a response before starting because I feared the subsequent books were dependent on the earlier ones. I didn't read all of the reviews, but not one mentioned I should read them in order. In fact, the one reviewer that I quoted seemed to disregard the first 5 books.

So thank you very much. I hope I enjoy this author as much as you do
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books