Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2014, 04:50 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,729,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by winrunner View Post
Macrina, I'm trusting you and Fiona and will start with Still Life.

I was waiting for a response before starting because I feared the subsequent books were dependent on the earlier ones. I didn't read all of the reviews, but not one mentioned I should read them in order. In fact, the one reviewer that I quoted seemed to disregard the first 5 books.

So thank you very much. I hope I enjoy this author as much as you do
You're so welcome! I get all my books at the library, but I'm even thinking of buying this series, I'm liking them so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2014, 05:15 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,334,257 times
The Boys in the Boat by Daniel James Brown

Enjoying it immensly so far.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Boys-Boat-.../dp/067002581X

Old 09-01-2014, 05:53 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,729,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplesky View Post
<snip>

Another recent book I've read that I found very appealing and different from the usual women's fiction was The Good House by Ann Leary. Very readable without the usual checklist of plot points. I am really looking forward to more from this author.
I've reserved this one @ my library, based on what you said..

Old 09-01-2014, 11:04 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,332,250 times
I'm slogging through “Spook: Science Tackles the Afterlife” by Mary Roach (2005).
Have read all the author's books except this one, because the subject matter is highly problematic for me.
Am 1/3 of way through the 300-page book. I enjoy her writing style, but the topic of this one is the reason I had avoided it all these years.
But I was desperate for a book while at library and couldn't find another one that interested me quickly enough, so this is what I ended up with.

Old 09-02-2014, 05:18 AM

20,549 posts, read 30,275,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
It has excellent reviews. I have added it to my TR list. Thank you.

I finished Daddy Love Last night by Joyce Carol Oates.

This was an excellent book. It was a gripping and intense novel that flowed very swiftly. Thankfully it was not overly graphic. It's a story of an outgoing smart five year old boy who is kidnapped in a mall parking lot from his mother. The boy is with his captor, Daddy Love for 6 years. It tells what happens to the parents left behind and some of what goes on in the boy's mind and his life.

Now onto something a little lighter. Someone Like You by Sarah Dessen.

Old 09-02-2014, 07:46 AM

49,971 posts, read 63,287,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, Stieg Larsson. Didn't really get interested in it at first, but after finishing the prologue, it changed and I'm liking it very much. I'm told there are 2 more books. That it's a trilogy, which I didn't know in the beginning.
I loved this and the following two books, too. A bit rough in places, but still good. Unfortunately, the author died young, so no more books.

I love any book in which the main character is a strong female.

Old 09-02-2014, 07:48 AM

49,971 posts, read 63,287,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I'm a few pages into South of Broad by Pat Conroy. I've been a fan of his for years and I've owned the book for years as well, but I still hadn't/haven't read it. It was a rainy day and I could have been reading, but instead I went for a walk in the rain with the dogs and did other non-reading stuff. But I think it is safe to say that I like it, although I am tired of the first person. Lately I seem to be coming across nothing but first person books.
South of Broad was my favorite Pat Conroy book.

Old 09-02-2014, 09:13 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,377,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, Stieg Larsson. Didn't really get interested in it at first, but after finishing the prologue, it changed and I'm liking it very much. I'm told there are 2 more books. That it's a trilogy, which I didn't know in the beginning.
When I first started this book, I only read a few pages. It was several weeks before trying it again. Then............ and then, I could barely put it down. Last night I noticed the time was nine, then suddenly it was eleven. Now that I've read it all, I'm stopping by the library to get the other 2 books. How the author put this story together is a amazing.

Old 09-02-2014, 04:53 PM

14,785 posts, read 23,950,501 times
OMG The Hundred foot journey made me laugh and it made me cry and it is honestly one of the best books I have read this year ...I loved it . Did I say it made me cry and laugh and not many books can do that ....do I recommend you read OMG YES , YES , YES 100 times Yes !!! I loved it and now I miss it because it is over sniff sniff .....

Old 09-02-2014, 06:34 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,346,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
Gave up on Emerging Viruses, edited by Stephen Morse, c 1993 Oxford U. Press. Too old, I figure. I thought I'd get background on Ebola and filoviruses, but at 21 years old, it can legally drink.

Besides, there's so much else to read. The field is just moving too quickly. If I can find something more recent, I'll read that instead.

I've just started Spillover; Animal Infections and the Next Human Pandemic by David Quammen and it's very interesting/scary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books