Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2014, 09:46 AM

17,330 posts, read 32,858,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
The only Anita Shreve book I ever tried to read was The Pilot's Wife and I thought it was awful. I didn't realize that she wrote anything but schlock(Sorry to those who liked it--to each his own and all that.) and will keep an eye out for The Weight of Water.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
Oh my, this makes me giggle!! I remind myself frequently of the whole to each his own thing.
Quote:
We sure can't take it personally (although some people seem to ).
Agreed x 3. One man's trash, etc, etc, etc...

I always feel bad, though, when someone recommends a book to me and I don't like it or, worse, can't get past the first few pages. I'm happy, though, that we don't all gravitate to the same books, otherwise we wouldn't hear about the ones that we'd never give a second glance (and end up liking, despite our habits).

Marlow, I read The Weight of Water in 1998, shortly after it came out (1997). I've grown a lot -- not in height, mind you! -- since then, so I can't say if I (or you) would like it now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 11:06 AM

13,366 posts, read 28,597,609 times
Quote:
It's something you really have to keep in mind, isn't it? There are so many books I love that others are lukewarm toward or actively hate and vice-versa. We can't take it personally.
Oh this would be a truly boring forum if we all liked and hated the same books

Old 09-05-2014, 11:39 AM

20,549 posts, read 30,275,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
Reading Lolita in Tehran

Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry
I have really high hopes for this one as I have read several excellent books that feature the oppression of females under Islam.I love reading about other cultures,though reading about girls/women in the middle east makes me wish to see/hear about all the females under Islam becoming warriors and taking up arms against all the males!

From what little I know about Iran,it is nowhere near as backwards and oppressive for the females as those under radical Islam such as Pakistan and Saudi Arabia with their religious police,so I am very interested to read if things are really better for them in Iran.
I look forward to hear what you think. This one also looks good:
Nine Parts of Desire: The Hidden World of Islamic Women by Geraldine Brooks.

Quote:
I didn't realize that she wrote anything but schlock(Sorry to those who liked it--to each his own and all that.) and will keep an eye out for The Weight of Water.

Before I could get to Telex From Cuba I was waylaid by a book that's been bouncing around the house for a couple of years--Lovingkindness: The Revolutionary Art of Happiness by Sharon Salzburg. It's sort of a how-to about doing Metta, or Lovingkindess meditation. It's a bit on the woo-woo side for me, but I figure I can use all the happiness I can get. The times that I have practiced rudimentary meditation I have always enjoyed it, so I'll see what I can learn.

Schlock and woo woo…love it, lol.

Quote:
Oh my, this makes me giggle!! I remind myself frequently of the whole to each his own thing.

Quote:
It's something you really have to keep in mind, isn't it? There are so many books I love that others are lukewarm toward or actively hate and vice-versa. We can't take it personally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Agreed x 3. One man's trash, etc, etc, etc...

I always feel bad, though, when someone recommends a book to me and I don't like it or, worse, can't get past the first few pages. I'm happy, though, that we don't all gravitate to the same books, otherwise we wouldn't hear about the ones that we'd never give a second glance (and end up liking, despite our habits).
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Oh this would be a truly boring forum if we all liked and hated the same books

So right. How boring we would be. I have been known to read and like schlock before

Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
I'm almost 1/4 of the way through Spillover by David Quammen and like The Coming Plague (1994) by Laurie Garrett it reads like a great thriller and I really, really, really do not want to put it down to deal with such tedious things as laundry but I will. I'm learning lots of new stuff about epidemiology and wish that I could go back in time 50 years and tell my 15 year old self that this a what I would love to do with my life.

Truly fascinating stuff to me.
Sounds good

Old 09-05-2014, 01:46 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,886,906 times
I remember liking The Weight of Water as well, but have never read another Anita Shreve book that I enjoyed.

I did think it was interesting that The Weight of Water and The Pilot's Wife as well as another of her early books had a bit of geography or an old home in common. It wasn't that the books really had anything to do with each other, but the old home was present (to some degree or another) in all three of those books.

Old 09-05-2014, 06:07 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,377,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I loved this and the following two books, too. A bit rough in places, but still good. Unfortunately, the author died young, so no more books.

I love any book in which the main character is a strong female.
I've definitely been hooked by this trilogy! Am soon to finish the second book, The Girl Who Played With Fire, and have the third one already on hand. It's so nice to have something to read that I'm enjoying so much. I was sorry to learn the author died young, even before the 3 books were published and didn't know what smash hits they are.

Old 09-05-2014, 06:22 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,886,906 times
I just finished All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr and loved it. Beautiful writing about a very ugly time (WWII). I will have a hard time letting Marie-Laure and Werner go. What a special read.

Old 09-05-2014, 07:27 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,330,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
I've definitely been hooked by this trilogy! Am soon to finish the second book, The Girl Who Played With Fire, and have the third one already on hand. It's so nice to have something to read that I'm enjoying so much. I was sorry to learn the author died young, even before the 3 books were published and didn't know what smash hits they are.
I had heard he had written more, so I did some looking. Apparently he was about 3/4 of the way through book 4 and his partner has possession of it but does not have the rights to it. He had an unwitnessed will so it is considered invalid. Therefore, she finish the novel as his family legally own the rights. This info is from wikipedia so I don't know how completely accurate it is, but it also contained this information. Some other Swedish author is apparently going to be writing a 4th book but Larsson's unpublished material will not be used. It says it will be published in August 2015. I am assuming it will be published in Sweden in 2015 and who knows about the US.

Old 09-05-2014, 09:40 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,377,066 times
Quote:
I had heard he had written more, so I did some looking. Apparently he was about 3/4 of the way through book 4 and his partner has possession of it but does not have the rights to it. He had an unwitnessed will so it is considered invalid. Therefore, she finish the novel as his family legally own the rights. This info is from wikipedia so I don't know how completely accurate it is, but it also contained this information. Some other Swedish author is apparently going to be writing a 4th book but Larsson's unpublished material will not be used. It says it will be published in August 2015. I am assuming it will be published in Sweden in 2015 and who knows about the US.
It's too bad he and his companion didn't marry, especially since he wasn't close with his father and brother. She's the one who was there during all the writing, yet those who weren't are reaping all the rewards. I didn't realize a movie has been made of all three titles until seeing it on a website. I too wanted to know more about Larsson.

Old 09-05-2014, 09:58 PM

4,788 posts, read 2,767,113 times
Default Talent rises

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
It's too bad he and his companion didn't marry, especially since he wasn't close with his father and brother. She's the one who was there during all the writing, yet those who weren't are reaping all the rewards. I didn't realize a movie has been made of all three titles until seeing it on a website. I too wanted to know more about Larsson.

There's also a remake of the first movie - shot in English, with Daniel Craig, the current James Bond actor. I watched the beginning of the English remake, and found it utterly unconvincing. The little details are all wrong - if you're a fan of the books, I'd stay away from the English remake. Noomi Rapace as Lisbeth Salander (in the originals) absolutely owns the role of Lisbeth. She can't be replaced.

I suggest staying with the originals - although they are available with English soundtracks and/or subtitles. It would be interesting to watch the movies in their original language - but fond as I am of the novels and the original movies, I don't see investing that kind of time and effort into it.

Old 09-06-2014, 10:49 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,317,881 times
A little book called "Jacob T. Marley"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books