Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2014, 03:13 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,205 times

Advertisements

Marlow, I think we have much in common, particularly on the topics of schlock and woo-woo.

Zugor, I wish that I could go back in time 50 years and tell my former self not to sweat what to do, all would be revealed in the fullness of time.

Rubi3, if you liked Larsson, you will like Jo Nesbo -- a Norwegian author that has been very prolific. I just finished the eighth in his series (and this is a series best read in sequence), and wrote this review in Goodreads:

Quote:
This was a gripping story that does not release the reader until the very, very, very end. In ten parts and 90+ chapters, Harry is dragged from his Hong Kong mire to return to Norway and land in the middle of a nightmare worse than that of his last killer, "The Snowman." Before the story ends, he travels snowy wastelands and the fetid Congo.

The pace is frenetic, the suspects are elusive and changing, and I couldn't put it down -- there wasn't any part that slowed enough to allow it.
SW88, I agree with you on the Larsson's movies. We saw the originals (after reading the trilogy) and loved all three. There were places where it seemed like there were deviations from the corresponding book, but the movies were so well done I didn't mind. (I don't usually watch foreign movies because I don't like subtitles and voice overs, but it wasn't even a factor with these.)

As for "to each their own" I am thinking it is a life necessity if one wants to stay sane. Not that a drop or two of insane would be bad at times, but for the most part I feel the need to keep it real and easy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2014, 03:30 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
Rebecca
by Daphne du Maurier

again!

Old 09-06-2014, 05:01 PM

2,322 posts, read 922,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I just finished All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr and loved it. Beautiful writing about a very ugly time (WWII). I will have a hard time letting Marie-Laure and Werner go. What a special read.
I feel the same way. I read this in July and felt it wasn't long enough. I couldn't put it down, but I didn't want it to end.

Anthony Doerr is a brilliant story weaver(?)

Old 09-06-2014, 10:00 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,374,142 times
When I first read The Coming Plague by Laurie Garrett back in 1994 it seemed pretty clear to me that we might see a major pandemic in my lifetime. Now, 20 years later and having just finished Spillover by David Quammen I'm even more certain of it (although it might not come during my remaining time). The science is not so complex that a non-scientist has a hard time following it and he provides some easy to follow analogies. There is also a good bit of humor in the book.

Old 09-07-2014, 05:19 AM

417 posts, read 454,749 times
Well thanks to Phonelady's ( I think?) suggestion I am now reading the Hundred Foot Journey. I actually purchased it because the wait was too long at the library ( I NEVER buy books)... and the first 10 or 20 pages into it, I was having some serious doubts. After that, I am loving it. ( I am only on about page 70 or so but looking forward to reading it hopefully when I have jury duty this week).
I also took out The Good House by Ann Leary from another suggestion here and will tackle that one next..I think the Miss Peregrine's one is also on my radar.

Old 09-07-2014, 07:01 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,842,780 times
Sorry to say that I could not stand either~The House at Tyneford by Natasha Solomons
I found this book totally boring and unengaging,with characters that didn't interest me in the least,nor did I care for the heroine,the immature/juvenile acting hero-Kit, or any of her family,who without any explanation send her off alone to England while they all go to America to escape Austria at the start of WW 2!

nor~
Reading Lolita in Tehran: A Memoir in Books by Azar Nafisi
I second the Amazon reviewer who called this "literary crap"!
I expected this book to be about the changes in Iran after the The Cultural Revolution (1980–1987)and how it affected the people.
Instead it read like nothing but the most boring book report you ever heard, about books you haven't read and would never choose to read[except for Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen]The other books are like depraved filth and I wish I hadn't even read all the crap she detailed about the perverted author and his trash-Lolita!
After I was sickened and disgusted by that... I just skimmed through to the end.

I hope The Complete Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi that I reserved at my library this morning will be more what I hoped for.
The Complete Persepolis: Marjane Satrapi: 8601400799079: Amazon.com: Books

Meanwhile I have decided to reread Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen and at least I am enjoying
it,lol!

Old 09-07-2014, 07:14 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
Sorry to say that I could not stand either~Reading Lolita in Tehran
Uh, ooops! After reading your review I had to go look at this book and I promise you -- THAT is NOT the book I read! There IS a book (wish I could recall the title, now) that has a character in Tehran who IS a Nabokov fan who invokes how the country had changed over the years. It was a magnificent book that gave one hope for all the world in its changing faces that -- yes, evil will surface, but so will good.

WISH I could remember the title of THAT book.

Old 09-07-2014, 07:32 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,842,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Uh, ooops! After reading your review I had to go look at this book and I promise you -- THAT is NOT the book I read! There IS a book (wish I could recall the title, now) that has a character in Tehran who IS a Nabokov fan who invokes how the country had changed over the years. It was a magnificent book that gave one hope for all the world in its changing faces that -- yes, evil will surface, but so will good.

WISH I could remember the title of THAT book.
LOL, Oh been there,done that myself! Hate when that happens.

Old 09-07-2014, 09:46 AM

2,420 posts, read 3,847,289 times

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas: A savage journey to the heart of the American Dream

by Hunter S. Thompson

"We were somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert when the drugs began to take hold."

By the way. Great book deals on Alibris.com.

-Cheers.

Old 09-07-2014, 10:01 AM

1 posts, read 778 times
Just finished Blindness by Jose Saramago.
Interesting yet raw. Perhaps because it was translated which may have contributed to the somewhat jarring descriptions that made it feel very disjointed.

Per my husband's recommendation - About to start Dr. Mary's Monkey: How the Unsolved Murder of a Doctor, a Secret Laboratory in New Orleans and Cancer-Causing Monkey Viruses Are Linked to Lee Harvey ... Assassination and Emerging Global Epidemics
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books