Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2014, 02:47 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,603,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
I just finished the latest by Dorothea Benton Frank. OMG what a TERRIBLE author she is!!!! There's no excuse for bad writing. I think some authors just get published because they have a following based on one or more previous books. I mean, this one was BAD - so badly written that I'm not even going to put the title of the book in this post because I don't want you to read it.

The book did have a good, and even important, moral message. But that doesn't excuse stinky bad writing!!! Avoid this one.
Hah, not surprised! A librarian once recommended one of Benton Franks' books to me and I remember practically gagging over the outrageously awful writing. Can't imagine she's improved over time. I truly don't understand how some authors have such a following.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2014, 05:05 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,543,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I have a flap too, so maybe I'll do that. Right now, though, I have to put Cancer Ward aside and read a memoir that a friend wrote about an interesting -- albeit horrible -- slice of his life. I promised him some feedback. The editor's cap is always on.
Saved by the arrival of a memoir -- sounds like a plot beginning -- and a great escape!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
I just finished the latest by Dorothea Benton Frank. OMG what a TERRIBLE author she is!!!! There's no excuse for bad writing. I think some authors just get published because they have a following based on one or more previous books. I mean, this one was BAD - so badly written that I'm not even going to put the title of the book in this post because I don't want you to read it.

The book did have a good, and even important, moral message. But that doesn't excuse stinky bad writing!!! Avoid this one.
I read her "Pawley's Island" years ago and liked it. I've meant to go back and read more but other more interesting titles have pushed her out. Must be I was lucky to find a diamond in a heap of rough.

I listened to Louise Penny's "Still Life" on my dog walk this morning and it suddenly occurred to me that in theme her works are comparative to those of Ruth Rendell's Inspector Wexford series, but Penny actually delivers real live characters that I could sit and visit with, have a cup of tea or a drink, where I cannot even relate to Rendell's. Funny I never noticed the similarities before.

Old 09-10-2014, 05:19 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Saved by the arrival of a memoir -- sounds like a plot beginning -- and a great escape!

Oh, the saving and escaping goes even deeper than that! I spoke to him when I was partway through it and gave him some initial feedback. When I finish reading it (to get the whole picture), he'd like for me to fully edit it, with my "red pen" (okay, fine, with Tracking set on in Microsoft Word). It's a PROJECT. I'm actually looking forward to it, though, so -- yeah -- it looks like Cancer Ward is getting put on the back burner and that, by the time I get back to it, I'll have to start it again. AGAIN.

Old 09-10-2014, 06:18 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,543,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I'll have to start it again. AGAIN.
I have heard it said that the third time is a charm. OR was that the second?

Old 09-10-2014, 11:06 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,929,449 times
Somebody, please read All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr so we can talk about it!!!

Old 09-10-2014, 11:20 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,312,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
Somebody, please read All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr so we can talk about it!!!
Okay, I will.

Old 09-11-2014, 04:39 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,929,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Okay, I will.
Yay! I hope you like it as much as I did!

Old 09-11-2014, 05:29 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,348,687 times
Quote:
On the hold list at the library for it.

Old 09-11-2014, 07:52 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
Quote:
It's on my list, but as slow as I am y'all will have read it, digested it and discussed it at length by the time I get to it. Still, I'm looking forward to it.

Old 09-11-2014, 07:53 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I have heard it said that the third time is a charm. OR was that the second?
It took me 4 tries to read The Name of the Rose and on the last attempt it was easy and I loved it. I've never understood that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books