Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2014, 07:28 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplesky View Post
Thanks for the info. I just requested "Desperate Characters" from my library's intra-loan program. I am already behind on reading books since I'm working so much (and prefer audio for the commute), but it sounded so intriguing that I requested it.
I had such high hopes but, for some reason, I couldn't get into Desperate Characters. It's a short book -- something like 150 pages -- and I couldn't get to page 40. It just wasn't working for me.

Purplesky: I highly recommend that you look for Wallace Stegner's Crossing to Safety. That's a quiet book that I can attest to -- it's fabulous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2014, 10:09 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,929,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
All The Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr.

I just finished it. It's one of the best and loveliest books I have ever read. Dawn, it is a "safe" read for you.

This is a tactile book even though I read it on the kindle. It's like reading it in braille. From time to time I would put my fingertips on some object close by and try to "read" it while actually reading it on the kindle. I wasn't even aware I was doing it until I found myself starved for the raised dots while not finding them. There is so much love in the book and it's not the sexual kind of love. It's the pure love that people have for each other and for birds and snails and whelks and books and tiny, toy-like model towns in France. Radio waves? Do we ever really think of radio waves? I didn't but I will now.

The book takes place in Germany and France during WWII. So, there are periods of angst. They are overwhelmed by periods of great joy.

Thank you, PineTreeLover for your post about it. I, too, highly recommend it.
Oh, Ketabcha... I am so happy that you enjoyed this treasure as much as I did. What a beautiful tribute to a really beautiful book. There were so many parts of that book that I just can't shake - the tall house on St. Malo with it's multiple landings and windows, the clicking of the snails' shells, sad Jutta left behind....

So many images in my head just from one book. I have ordered Doerr's short stories, The Shell Collector. I am really looking forward to more from him.

Old 09-14-2014, 10:18 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,603,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Based on your comments, Lost Roses, I've downloaded works by Penelope Lively, and since the Charles Todd books are all unavailable and my ten holds are already held -- I put his works on Goodreads WTR.

I quit "Snow" and started reading "The Round House" by Louise Erdrich, though to be truthful I don't seem to be very much in a reading mood. Instead I've been watching a TV series on Netflix that has me hooked. I've been sitting and knitting and laughing and crying and rolling my eyes. I can go months and months without watching TV and then seem to watch it non-stop. I am so glad for online because I wouldn't be able to handle it with commercials and THEIR schedules!

But I digress.

This is my first reading of Erdich and so far my only complaint is that she doesn't use quotation marks around the quotes and I have to keep re-reading sentences to stay on track with who is saying what. It's a peeve of mine. Personally, I think punctuation and capitalization has a place in communicating effectively and am always more than a bit irate with people I know to be educated write like they quit after third grade.
Now I need to know what TV series you're watching! I go in spells too, both for reading and watching TV. A good TV series will keep me mesmerized but I generally read myself to sleep each night so I never completely let go of the books.

My neighbor adores Erdrich books but I've never tried them. The lack of quotation marks would irk me too. I can't help noticing those things and wondering why the author thinks that's a good idea.

Old 09-15-2014, 05:01 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,842,780 times
I am now reading....

Full-Rip 9.0: The Next Big Earthquake in the Pacific Northwest by Sandi Doughton

Scientists have identified Seattle, Portland, and Vancouver as the urban centers of what will be the biggest earthquake, also called a mega-quake, in the continental United States. A quake will happen--in fact it's actually overdue. The Cascadia subduction zone is 750 miles long, running along the Pacific coast from Northern California up to southern British Columbia. In this fascinating book, The Seattle Times science reporter Sandi Doughton introduces readers to the scientists who are dedicated to understanding the way the earth moves and describes what patterns can be identified and how prepared (or not) people are. With a 100% chance of a mega-quake hitting the Pacific Northwest, this fascinating book reports on the scientists who are trying to understand when, where, and just how big THE BIG ONE will be.

Full-Rip 9.0: The Next Big Earthquake in the Pacific Northwest: Sandi Doughton: 9781570617898: Amazon.com: Books

Really gripping read!

Old 09-15-2014, 06:38 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,543,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Roses View Post
Now I need to know what TV series you're watching! I go in spells too, both for reading and watching TV. A good TV series will keep me mesmerized but I generally read myself to sleep each night so I never completely let go of the books.

My neighbor adores Erdrich books but I've never tried them. The lack of quotation marks would irk me too. I can't help noticing those things and wondering why the author thinks that's a good idea.
LR, so sorry! It is "Brothers and Sisters."

I cannot remember what inspired me to download a number of Erdich's books, but imagine it must be someone here. I have a quirk in reading that when I start to read a new author I seem to see all the faults first and mentally balk. Probably a psychoanalyst would tell me I am preparing myself for a letdown. Anyway, if I hang with it for a spell and the work is worthwhile I find I change MY reading expectations and like it. I'm weird that way, I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
I am now reading....

Full-Rip 9.0: The Next Big Earthquake in the Pacific Northwest by Sandi Doughton

Really gripping read!
Oh boy -- that certainly woke me up! Living on the edge of the Seattle Metro area as I do, NOT welcome news -- particularly since I've been bugging my DH to move us out of this area for about 20 years now.

His response after reading your review to him: "Would you rather live in OK where they have hurricanes?"

Old 09-15-2014, 07:08 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,380,896 times
I finally finished The Light Between Oceans. Needless to say it was not my kind of book. I just started Water For Elephants. I haven't read much but so far I like it much better than my last book

Old 09-15-2014, 07:27 AM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
I finally finished The Light Between Oceans. Needless to say it was not my kind of book.
I loved this book! It does start out slowly, though.

Quote:
I just started Water For Elephants. I haven't read much but so far I like it much better than my last book
One of my favorite books ever.

Old 09-15-2014, 07:59 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,373,551 times
I finished The Sixth Extinction by James Rollins. It was OK, the good guys win, the bad guys lose, as always in his stories. I do enjoy learning about some of the cutting edge science that he includes in his books, even if some of it is rather scarey in terms of what could happen if some of it got in to the hands of bad guys, or even what could go wrong in a lab accident, especially in the way of genetic research.

After getting in bed I did start Terminal City by Linda Fairstein but the eyes gave out quickly, as so often happens late at night and I only manged 5 or 6 pages.

Old 09-15-2014, 09:22 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
The light btwn oceans was not my book either and loved loved loved water for elephants but it made me cry really badly .

Old 09-15-2014, 10:37 AM

2,453 posts, read 3,603,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
I am now reading....

Scientists have identified Seattle, Portland, and Vancouver as the urban centers of what will be the biggest earthquake, also called a mega-quake, in the continental United States. A quake will happen--in fact it's actually overdue. The Cascadia subduction zone is 750 miles long, running along the Pacific coast from Northern California up to southern British Columbia. In this fascinating book, The Seattle Times science reporter Sandi Doughton introduces readers to the scientists who are dedicated to understanding the way the earth moves and describes what patterns can be identified and how prepared (or not) people are. With a 100% chance of a mega-quake hitting the Pacific Northwest, this fascinating book reports on the scientists who are trying to understand when, where, and just how big THE BIG ONE will be.

Full-Rip 9.0: The Next Big Earthquake in the Pacific Northwest: Sandi Doughton: 9781570617898: Amazon.com: Books

Really gripping read!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
LR, so sorry! It is "Brothers and Sisters."

I cannot remember what inspired me to download a number of Erdich's books, but imagine it must be someone here. I have a quirk in reading that when I start to read a new author I seem to see all the faults first and mentally balk. Probably a psychoanalyst would tell me I am preparing myself for a letdown. Anyway, if I hang with it for a spell and the work is worthwhile I find I change MY reading expectations and like it. I'm weird that way, I think.

Oh boy -- that certainly woke me up! Living on the edge of the Seattle Metro area as I do, NOT welcome news -- particularly since I've been bugging my DH to move us out of this area for about 20 years now.

His response after reading your review to him: "Would you rather live in OK where they have hurricanes?"
ILoveAutumn and LookingForMayberry, never thought about the Northwest being very prone to a huge disaster. Kind of like thinking about if Yellowstone blows all of us down below are history!

As for quirks in reading I think we all have them. I rarely read non-fiction since I don't want reality intruding on my reading pleasure!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books