Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2014, 11:53 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,315,804 times

Advertisements

I'm halfway through The Good House by Ann Leary.

What a delight. I seldom laugh out loud but I do while reading this book. I'm scared, though. Something bad is going to happen. I can feel it in my bones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2014, 04:21 PM

759 posts, read 3,143,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I had such high hopes but, for some reason, I couldn't get into Desperate Characters. It's a short book -- something like 150 pages -- and I couldn't get to page 40. It just wasn't working for me.

Purplesky: I highly recommend that you look for Wallace Stegner's Crossing to Safety. That's a quiet book that I can attest to -- it's fabulous.
Thanks, DawnMTL, I will get the other one as well. They both look good to me. If I can't get into a book by the middle of the second CD or after 30 pages, I will abandon it.

Old 09-15-2014, 04:24 PM

759 posts, read 3,143,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I'm halfway through The Good House by Ann Leary.

What a delight. I seldom laugh out loud but I do while reading this book. I'm scared, though. Something bad is going to happen. I can feel it in my bones.
Ketabcha, I loved the Good House. I read a lot of books and really only recommend a few. Most of the books in the women's fiction genre tend to blend into each other.

I am eagerly awaiting the next novel of Ann Leary! I just hope she chooses to write more!

Old 09-15-2014, 05:15 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,315,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplesky View Post
Ketabcha, I loved the Good House. I read a lot of books and really only recommend a few. Most of the books in the women's fiction genre tend to blend into each other.

I am eagerly awaiting the next novel of Ann Leary! I just hope she chooses to write more!
I just finished it. I enjoyed this book so much. I kept forgetting that it was fiction. I was pleasantly surprised at how much I liked it. Right on, I hope Leary writes more books. The characters in her books are all so well defined. Gosh, I feel like I know these people.

Okay, I'll admit that I read Both of Us: My Life with Farrah by Ryan O'Neal last week. Fast read. I have no idea why I read it. I'm not a fan of O'Neal but I thought he was great in "Love Story." I'll admit I was still pretty much a kid when I saw it and I had read the book. Farrah? Not a big fan but, again, I thought she was wonderful in "Small Sacrifices" (let's not talk about "Logan's Run").

I don't know what to say about O'Neal's book. It's not bad at all. I did not consider it a waste of time. It's beautifully edited. It's expensive for a kindle book. He name drops like crazy and some of it is interesting stuff. What it proved to me, once again, is that you can be gorgeous and rich and still have a lot of problems. A ridiculous number of those problems seem to be self-initiated. I think O'Neal needed to exorcise some demons and wrote this book to kick them out.

Old 09-15-2014, 05:44 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,253,049 times
Because so many posters have highly recommended The Good Houseby Ann Leary, I checked to see our library's offerings. OMG, she's married to Denis Leary one of my favorite actor/comedians. Leary has written two other books: Outtakes from a Marriage and An Innocent, a Broada non-fiction about the Leary's trip to Ireland while Ann was pregnant. Her son was born weighing only 2.5 pounds. She could not return to the U.S. for five months. The book describes her experiences with Britain's NHS. I downloaded this one.
Lately, I've been consumed caring for Chloe, my 16-year old cat who passed away Friday. Hope to get back to reading soon.

Old 09-15-2014, 05:57 PM

8,665 posts, read 5,843,617 times
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry
Quote:
Oh boy -- that certainly woke me up! Living on the edge of the Seattle Metro area as I do, NOT welcome news -- particularly since I've been bugging my DH to move us out of this area for about 20 years now.

His response after reading your review to him: "Would you rather live in OK where they have hurricanes?"
I can imagine how you feel,because I have been wanting to leave the hot humid summers and to a lesser extent~ the winters of Ohio for years,so was seeking an area with non humid summers and winters that seldom have temps below freezing. Seattle was on my list of dream destinations over Portland because of their frequent land/mudslides and ice storms,and after I gave up on San Diego because of all the wildfires,scorched earth landscape and INSANE COL!

Then I saw this book and did some research on this risk to Seattle and found that scientists/geologists say this mega quake is IMMINENT~ within the next 50 years,so now I have decided I will just have to do my best to tolerate the detested summers here,because everywhere else that I considered has much more serious drawbacks!

Originally Posted by Lost Roses
Quote:
ILoveAutumn and LookingForMayberry, never thought about the Northwest being very prone to a huge disaster. Kind of like thinking about if Yellowstone blows all of us down below are history!

As for quirks in reading I think we all have them. I rarely read non-fiction since I don't want reality intruding on my reading pleasure!
Believe me there are many topics that I wouldn't consider reading either,such as any kind of abuse or harm to a child,stalkers,kidnappers,true crime stories,and the like.

Old 09-15-2014, 07:35 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,374,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
I am now reading....

Full-Rip 9.0: The Next Big Earthquake in the Pacific Northwest by Sandi Doughton

Scientists have identified Seattle, Portland, and Vancouver as the urban centers of what will be the biggest earthquake, also called a mega-quake, in the continental United States. A quake will happen--in fact it's actually overdue. The Cascadia subduction zone is 750 miles long, running along the Pacific coast from Northern California up to southern British Columbia. In this fascinating book, The Seattle Times science reporter Sandi Doughton introduces readers to the scientists who are dedicated to understanding the way the earth moves and describes what patterns can be identified and how prepared (or not) people are. With a 100% chance of a mega-quake hitting the Pacific Northwest, this fascinating book reports on the scientists who are trying to understand when, where, and just how big THE BIG ONE will be.

Really gripping read!
I've added this to my wish list. I lived in the SF Bay Area and experienced the 1989 Loma Prieta quake (whos epicenter was 60 miles away from SF/Oak) and knowing that the Hayward Fault is overdue for a big quake was part of my motivation to move out of the area when I retired. My house was less than half a mile from the fault in Oakland and I knew that even if it didn't collapse in the quake the firestorm that is likely to follow would be even more of a risk. Next month will be the 25th anniversary of LP and when it happened the experts were predicting that a big quake on the Hayward fault was likely in the next 30 years and since quakes on that fault happen about every 140 years and the last one was in 1868 it's about due for one.

Old 09-15-2014, 09:17 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
Lately, I've been consumed caring for Chloe, my 16-year old cat who passed away Friday. Hope to get back to reading soon.
I'm so sorry, Tigerlily. Our pets have a way of snuggling into our hearts... Take care.

Old 09-15-2014, 10:10 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I'm so sorry, Tigerlily. Our pets have a way of snuggling into our hearts... Take care.
Me, too, TigerLily. I lost my Dustin when he was 12 and that was heart-breaking for me. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Old 09-15-2014, 11:54 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,765,227 times
I just finished reading BANKER by Dick Francis. It was so good, perhaps one of my favourites.

I'd thought I'd read everything he wrote, but somehow I'd missed this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books