Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2014, 08:29 PM

2,322 posts, read 923,092 times

Advertisements

Just finished Still Life by Louise Penny. I was going to say that my initial reaction was meh, but feared that one of the virtual tomatoes that most likely would have been thrown at me by Penny fans would actually come through my laptop and hit me in the head. No attempt at trying to be funny was worth that risk.

I want to thank everyone that strongly suggested I start with book one in the series. I have already fallen in love with characters that IRL I would gladly call friends. One of them is the Inspector's wife. She makes a brief appearance early in the story, yet I could not help being attracted to her:credit Penny's writing.

I found myself laughing out loud on several occasions and crying at a ritual with a beaver stick. I wanted to put this one particular character on a bus to nowhere, anywhere, just out of town. I love when a writer can get me to care enough. This story isn't about the fate of the world. No Extinction Level Event. No life was hanging in the balance. Just a case of a suspicious death that could have easily been ruled an accident. Louise Penny made me believe that it was very important. She made me care for the victim and for those left behind.

I highly recommend this book with a word of advice:don't let too much time elapse between chapters. Louise Penny introduces a lot of players in this story. I let almost a week pass between chapters 4 and 5 and was confused as to who was who(m).

Have I told you lately how much I love this thread?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2014, 08:37 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,846,980 times
The Yearling
by Marjorie K Rollins

One of my favorite books as a teen...many yrs ago.

Old 09-18-2014, 05:23 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,387,300 times
I finished Water For Elephants last night and I really enjoyed it.

Now I am reading The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin.

Old 09-18-2014, 07:48 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winrunner View Post
Just finished Still Life by Louise Penny. I was going to say that my initial reaction was meh, but feared that one of the virtual tomatoes that most likely would have been thrown at me by Penny fans would actually come through my laptop and hit me in the head. No attempt at trying to be funny was worth that risk.

I want to thank everyone that strongly suggested I start with book one in the series. I have already fallen in love with characters that IRL I would gladly call friends. One of them is the Inspector's wife. She makes a brief appearance early in the story, yet I could not help being attracted to her:credit Penny's writing.
I highly recommend this book with a word of advice:don't let too much time elapse between chapters. Louise Penny introduces a lot of players in this story. I let almost a week pass between chapters 4 and 5 and was confused as to who was who(m).

Have I told you lately how much I love this thread?
And we love you, winrunner.
Actually, my first reaction to Penny's was the same -- AFTER I read the book. It's been awhile, but my impression was "a charming bit of fluff." Then I found myself wondering what Ruth was doing these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
I finished Water For Elephants last night and I really enjoyed it.
You know, I downloaded this ages ago based on the strength of this group's responses and never did actually put it on the Kindle. Now that you've given it the thumbs up, I have to transfer it.

Old 09-18-2014, 10:33 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,350,226 times
I read The 5th Wave based on a comment on here and really found myself enjoying it. It was a fast read and a dystopian scenario that was almost the most frightening. The 2nd book just came out this week and I'm on the hold list for it at the library. Hopefully those ahead of me read fast. I recommend it for those who enjoy dystopian and YA.

I also read Shadows of the Workhouse which is the 2nd book in the Call The Midwife series. I really enjoyed the 1st book and all the stories of births and such. This book was very different in that it basically told the stories of some of the individuals she knew who had lived in workhouses. I enjoyed it as well, although I did not really read the description of it so going into it expecting more birth stories and it being entirely different made it feel a little slow going. Still recommend nonetheless.

Last night I finished Saving CeeCee Honeycutt based on comments here. I really enjoyed this one. I miss the characters already. Pretty much everyone was likeable, and although I did not like his chocies, I also kind of liked her father. If there were a movie based on this book, I think I would go to it just so I could spend time with the characters again.

I am now reading Through The Deep Waters by Kim Vogel Sawyer. I've enjoyed every book I've read by her except one. So far this one has drawn me in and I'm only on the 2nd chapter. It is a story about a young lady who wants to become a Harvey Girl. Harvey Girls were waitresses at upscale hotels along the railroad line way back when.

Old 09-18-2014, 10:45 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,703,557 times
I'm still reading Telex from Cuba by Rachel Kushner and enjoying it a lot. It takes place in the years leading up to the Cuban Revolution and is told from the points of view of several different characters. It's described as a coming-of-age story and at least two of the POV's are American children/teenagers whose parents are employed by United Fruit and a nickle mine, but I see it as much more of a commentary on how experience colors perspective. It's a solid literary novel with fairly subtle social commentary.

Old 09-18-2014, 02:47 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,375,193 times
I finished Terminal City by Linda Fairstein and it was a good read. I learned lots of interesting history and info about Grand Central Terminal - like the fact that it is a terminal, rather than a station because it is the end of the line.

I've started Full Rip 9.0 about the Cascadia Subduction zone and the devastating effects a megaquake will have on the Pacific Northwest.

Old 09-18-2014, 03:31 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,429,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Started Memoirs of a Geisha.

Saw the movie long long long ago ... since my brain is like swiss cheese it's all a new story for me, LOL
Finished yesterday.
Was irritated through the whole book at the main character's infatuation with the Chairman.
Completely unbelievable (to me) that a pre-teen's obsession (with a man old enough to be her father) wouldn't change as she got older.
Half-way through the book, I was ready to slap her upside the head.
Emphasis of the book seemed to be on the meanness and pettiness of women, the men were all cardboard.
Ending was very rushed.
Somewhat entertaining, but don't see what the fuss was all about.

Old 09-18-2014, 04:36 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,387,300 times
Quote:
Finished yesterday.
LOL…I felt the same way about the girl in Fifty Shades except I was about 1/4 of the way through. Sorry you wasted your time. What's next?

Old 09-18-2014, 04:52 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,372,783 times
Quote:
Finished yesterday.
Was irritated through the whole book at the main character's infatuation with the Chairman.
Completely unbelievable (to me) that a pre-teen's obsession (with a man old enough to be her father) wouldn't change as she got older.
Emphasis of the book seemed to be on the meanness and pettiness of women, the men were all cardboard.
Ending was very rushed.
Somewhat entertaining, but don't see what the fuss was all about.
I never did understand what made it such a big deal either. Maybe we all wanted to know more about what being a geisha entailed? It was the first and only book about geishas that I've read. I usually like to see a movie after I've read the book to see how much they differ from the book, but I wasn't interested enough in Memoirs of A Geisha to watch the movie.

I just got The Orphan Train, and The Dinner from the library.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books