Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2014, 01:55 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times

Advertisements

I finished The Signature of All Things by Elizabeth Gilbert this morning. I can't even begin to describe it. I will say that I consider it an epic novel. It's a good story that is beautifully written.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2014, 08:49 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,367,511 times
Know it was overly ambitious of me to grab 3 new books today at library (all due back in 2 weeks), but...

"Supersurvivors: The Surprising Link Between Suffering and Success" by David B. Feldman & Lee Daniel Kravetz (2014).
"Our Necessary Shadow: The Nature and Meaning of Psychiatry" by Tom Burns (2014).
"Twee: The Gentle Revolution in Music, Books, Television, Fashion, and Film" by Marc Spitz (2014).

Old 09-20-2014, 03:42 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Roses View Post
Picked up a few more books at the library yesterday and read A Man Called Ove. His name is pronounced oo-veh (had to look it up.) Written by Fredrik Backman it's a droll, charming novel set in Sweden about a cantankerous 59-year-old, cranky as can be, and ruled by his OCD. I had to laugh at the description of how to shovel snow properly. My husband could have written that.

I can't reveal much as half the delight (aside from the writing style) is the slow unfolding of the story, with surprises all along the way. Delightful characters, intriguing storyline, and a nice change to find a Swedish author who can write something besides that dark, hard-boiled crime fiction they are so famous for.
Thanks for that. It looks like a book I would enjoy

I just finished The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin . Here is my review.
Once again I have the unpopular opinion of a book. At first I didn't like the main character and then he showed some promise. He did touch some lives but it wasn't as "big" as the book reviews make it sound. This was also one of the few books that is told in the present and then bam one chapter later it skips about ten years. I'm glad I didn't have to read those ten years though as they were pretty boring. This book was just OK for me. On a good note I did learn about some other books to check out.

Next up The House at the End of Hope Street by Menna van Praag.

Old 09-20-2014, 04:20 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,183,744 times
Just this a.m., sitting on the beach, I wound up book #4 of Benjamin Black's Quirke mysteries set in late 50's Dublin. I first went to Ireland in the Sixties, so the Dublin I had read about and saw was pretty much that of these books....and not the flash and dash of today's city. Black, by the way, is a pseudonym for the Irish novelist John Banville. Banville writing as Banville I am of two minds about, and neither of them is sure of what it thinks; however, the Quirke mystery series I am very much enjoying. Be warned, though, the protagonist, Dr. Quirke, is a very human, very very fallible man whose personal weaknesses might drive some readers to foaming-mouthed exasperation.

Old 09-20-2014, 06:07 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,346,558 times
"Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking"

Old 09-21-2014, 01:26 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,215,838 times
The Hard Way by James Boedeker Fast paced and a great read. All his work is.

Old 09-21-2014, 02:02 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,843,617 times
Originally Posted by Lost Roses

Quote:
Picked up a few more books at the library yesterday and read A Man Called Ove. His name is pronounced oo-veh (had to look it up.) Written by Fredrik Backman it's a droll, charming novel set in Sweden about a cantankerous 59-year-old, cranky as can be, and ruled by his OCD. I had to laugh at the description of how to shovel snow properly. My husband could have written that.
That sounds like such a delightfully fun read that I put it on reserve at my library immediately!

Old 09-21-2014, 03:11 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
im currently reading "the mockingbird next door " by Marja Mills . so far it is good and it is about harper lee the one who wrote how to kill a mockingbird . It was interesting to know and find out that Truman Capote 's childhood home where he lived with his elderly aunts is no longer standing just a piece of the brick and a plaque stating that TC once lived there .
It also talks about Alice , Harper Lees sister and the death of their mother and their brother within the course of three months . Harper Lee talks about a crush she had on Gregory Peck and she talks of how much Gregory Peck looked like her father that is why she said he should have been the choice for Atticus Finch . Just so much the movie did not show us .

Old 09-21-2014, 06:01 AM

4,724 posts, read 4,415,751 times
Guess I am finally back in reading mode so thank you all for the wonderful suggestions. I am not a slow reader, but I guess I don't read regularly so books tend to take me a bit longer. I am lingering with the Good House, which really could be a quick read for most but I am enjoying it.
I have requested a few more of the ones I heard suggested here- and that Signature of All Things - wow what a review. Going to go get on the list for that one.
A friend of mine suggested The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern (there is more than one book with that title)- that might be next.
Also Invention of Wings is on my radar.

Old 09-21-2014, 07:49 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Morning, Friends, and Happy Sunday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
That sounds like such a delightfully fun read that I put it on reserve at my library immediately!
Me, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
im currently reading "the mockingbird next door " by Marja Mills .
After discovering that the author spent months next door to Harper Lee (Nelle) on Goodreads, I decided I had to read it. Thanks for pointing to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
Guess I am finally back in reading mode so thank you all for the wonderful suggestions. I am not a slow reader, but I guess I don't read regularly so books tend to take me a bit longer. I am lingering with the Good House, which really could be a quick read for most but I am enjoying it.
I have requested a few more of the ones I heard suggested here- and that Signature of All Things - wow what a review. Going to go get on the list for that one.
A friend of mine suggested The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern (there is more than one book with that title)- that might be next.
Also Invention of Wings is on my radar.
Three more on my To Read list. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books