Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2014, 06:28 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times

Advertisements

Good morning. Thank you all again for so many good books to look into. After so much talk about Still Life i may have to bring it back home. I have it at our store.

I am busy right now and still reading The House At The End Of Hope Street. I am really enjoying it. Thanks Ketabcha for recommending it so long ago.

Hmm…I grew up listening to Barbara Streisand and seeing her in movies. She has an amazing voice. It might be something I would like.

Next up…The Paris Architect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2014, 09:27 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,315,804 times
I've found a new-to-me author. Actually P.J. Parrish is two people. Two sisters. That would have usually put me off. Luckily, it didn't. I'm reading Dead of Winter and it's part of a series that stars a policeman.
Right now "we" are in Michigan where members of a small town police force are being murdered.

Obviously it is not a cozy mystery but it serves the same purpose for me. I really like the "hero" whom the books are centered on. I like him a lot. This is one of those books that calls to me when I'm off doing something else like sleeping.

Old 09-24-2014, 11:41 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,615,223 times
'A Universe From Nothing'.....

all I say if you it makes you ...think!...can't sleep now!....trying to understand the 'equations'...., ;-)....

Old 09-24-2014, 05:26 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I've found a new-to-me author. Actually P.J. Parrish is two people. Two sisters. That would have usually put me off. Luckily, it didn't. I'm reading Dead of Winter and it's part of a series that stars a policeman.
Right now "we" are in Michigan where members of a small town police force are being murdered.

Obviously it is not a cozy mystery but it serves the same purpose for me. I really like the "hero" whom the books are centered on. I like him a lot. This is one of those books that calls to me when I'm off doing something else like sleeping.
I just searched on them and found only "Watch List" which is apparently a collaborative effort with Jeffery Deaver -- my DH's go to author.

As it often happens through no fault of my own, I happened to finish both Louise Penny's "Still Life" on audio, and "The Round House" by Louise Erdrich. I liked both for different reasons. Penny's work left me feeling good, and if any murder mystery can have a happy ending, this one did. Erdrich's -- not so much, but it's okay because life is loose ends and we cannot have all of our stories' endings neatly wrapped up. (In fact, I would hate it.)

Does that make Penny's works a cozy?

Anyway, I'm now listening to "Puppets" by Daniel Hecht, read by Jason Collins. I like Hecht's work, but this might be too much of a "guy's" book for me. Time will tell.

On the Kindle: I am going to try "Americanah" by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie because I just don't want to overdose on mysteries and dark events. I hope it isn't depressing because I am not up for that either.

I've got a Debbie Macomber on the menu, too, but she's so saccharine that I only pull her out when I am left devastated. -- sort of like that tiny bit of sorbet between courses!

Old 09-24-2014, 09:00 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,315,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I just searched on them and found only "Watch List" which is apparently a collaborative effort with Jeffery Deaver -- my DH's go to author.

As it often happens through no fault of my own, I happened to finish both Louise Penny's "Still Life" on audio, and "The Round House" by Louise Erdrich. I liked both for different reasons. Penny's work left me feeling good, and if any murder mystery can have a happy ending, this one did. Erdrich's -- not so much, but it's okay because life is loose ends and we cannot have all of our stories' endings neatly wrapped up. (In fact, I would hate it.)

Does that make Penny's works a cozy?

Anyway, I'm now listening to "Puppets" by Daniel Hecht, read by Jason Collins. I like Hecht's work, but this might be too much of a "guy's" book for me. Time will tell.

On the Kindle: I am going to try "Americanah" by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie because I just don't want to overdose on mysteries and dark events. I hope it isn't depressing because I am not up for that either.

I've got a Debbie Macomber on the menu, too, but she's so saccharine that I only pull her out when I am left devastated. -- sort of like that tiny bit of sorbet between courses!
Here ya' go, LFM.

DEAD OF WINTER (Louis Kincaid/Joe Frye mystery series Book 2) - Kindle edition by P.J. Parrish. Mystery, Thriller & Suspense Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.

Old 09-24-2014, 10:07 PM

33 posts, read 55,204 times
i am currently reading, the Amazing Adventures of Kavelier and Clay by Michael Chabon, so far it's good, but there are times some chapters bore me, but all in all, it's a good one. i won't spoil it anymore, just grab a copy, i totally reccomend it.

Old 09-25-2014, 05:30 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,843,617 times
I finished the totally delightful The Heart Listens (Thorndike Press Large Print Clean Reads)by Carolyn McSparren

Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Heart Listens (Thorndike Press Large Print Clean Reads)

and while I'm waiting for the second book in the fun~ "Cat Who" series-
http://www.amazon.com/Danish-Modern-...mm_pap_title_0

I am now reading the YA fantasy/romance~

Summers at Castle Auburn by Sharon Shinn https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...le_Auburn?ac=1

Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry
Quote:
Good description of her books, but I loved This Matter Of Marriage[and her Heart of Texas series] by her so much that after reading your mention of her I put it on reserve at my library to enjoy it again!

This Matter Of Marriage: Debbie Macomber: 9780778323792: Amazon.com: Books

Old 09-25-2014, 07:46 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Here ya' go, LFM.
Thanks, K'.
Funny thing about P.J. Parrish: after looking at your link, I realized that I had not seen it on Goodreads but couldn't actually remember looking it up there. Turns out they have only TWO of what my library and Amazon show as a very lengthy list of titles under their authorship. Then, I went back to Goodreads to search again by title and found pages and pages of books with that title. Same was true for another title listed in my library's offerings. Apparently they've written a lot of titles but not gotten much notice from Goodreads. I thought that odd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
I loved This Matter Of Marriage[and her Heart of Texas series] by her [Debbie Macomber] so much that after reading your mention of her I put it on reserve at my library to enjoy it again!
Thanks, ILA. I will look at that series.

Old 09-25-2014, 03:18 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,757,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post

Right now I'm reading a sweet romance featuring a deaf ex-cop lady,and her hearing helper corgi dog.Not a lot of romance but I really like the characters and find the story interesting.

http://www.amazon.com/Heart-Listens-...1402686&sr=1-2
I put this one on my to read list. I've got a cardigan so I'm always interested in corgi stories.

Old 09-25-2014, 03:23 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,174,745 times
Re-reading a favorite...
So many powerful messages in it.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books