Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2014, 04:19 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,598,575 times

Advertisements

I just read Anthony Bordain's Kitchen Confidential for the first time. It was published in 2000, and I guess it was such a hit when it came out that it led to his recent successful television programs. I'm a newcomer to Bordain as I just got cable a few years ago. I enjoy his tv programs a lot, and admit I've been lusting after him.

I LOVED the book! A fast, easy, funny, fascinating non-fiction read.

But it made me lose any interest I ever had in eating in any kind of restaurant. I'll cook my own food, thank you!!! And the book made Bordain seem pretty grody. (But I still lust after him.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2014, 04:27 PM

1,092 posts, read 832,281 times
one of Charlane Harris earlier works: "A Fool and His Honey"
and re-reading Jimmy Buffett's Where Is Joe Merchant"

Old 09-26-2014, 06:06 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,205 times
As it turns out, it looks like I am quitting on "Americanah" and delving into that Debbie Macomber after all. Perhaps I DO need my reading palate cleansed before setting up for another course, or maybe it's just that the "Puppets" by Daniel Hecht (audio) is so heavy that I need something light and airy to balance me.

Hope I don't get insulin-shock from the high sugar load.

Old 09-26-2014, 07:09 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,205 times
Ugh, Debbie Macomber's wasn't palatable -- 3% into it and she'd barely given her characters a word in edgewise. I'd forgotten she was one of those authors that cannot stop narrating and let the characters speak for themselves.

Now onto "Imperial Legend: The Mysterious Disappearance of Tsar Alexander I" by Alexis S. Troubetzkoy. This looks like one I can sink my teeth into.

Old 09-26-2014, 10:46 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,765,227 times
I'm just beginning MISS SILVER COMES TO STAY by Patricia Wentworth.

Old 09-27-2014, 12:14 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,315,804 times
I'm reading the third P.J. Parrish novel in a row. I really love these books.

Old 09-27-2014, 01:38 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,843,617 times
Originally Posted by 3Cats4Me
Quote:
Per my husband's recommendation - About to start Dr. Mary's Monkey: How the Unsolved Murder of a Doctor, a Secret Laboratory in New Orleans and Cancer-Causing Monkey Viruses Are Linked to Lee Harvey ... Assassination and Emerging Global Epidemics
How did you like this?I read the synopsis and reviews for this after you mentioned it,and immediately put it on reserve at my library.When I couldn't get into "Summers At Castle Auburn" I started Dr Mary's Monkey last night. I find it fascinating,especially since I have found the same claims in several other books before such as~
Emerging Viruses: AIDS & Ebola. Nature, Accident or Intentional? by Leonard G. Horowitz

Emerging Viruses: AIDS And Ebola : Nature, Accident or Intentional?: Leonard G. Horowitz: 9780923550127: Amazon.com: Books

Behold a Pale Horse by William Cooper

Behold a Pale Horse: Milton William Cooper: 8580001047744: Amazon.com: Books

Not at all hard to believe knowing the history of the U.S. government's Eugenics programs which even worked with Hitler! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugenic..._United_States

Last edited by i_love_autumn; 09-27-2014 at 02:00 AM..

Old 09-27-2014, 03:48 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Dawn-I'm sorry you are in a reading slump. I hate those.

Still Alice was a wonderful book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Ugh, Debbie Macomber's wasn't palatable -- 3% into it and she'd barely given her characters a word in edgewise. I'd forgotten she was one of those authors that cannot stop narrating and let the characters speak for themselves.
I was wondering how that would go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I'm reading the third P.J. Parrish novel in a row. I really love these books.
I may have to start that series

Last night I finished The Paris Architect and I thought it was excellent. Today I will start a YA book called The Selection by Kiera Cass.

BTW, for anyone who enjoyed The Rosie Project there is a new book out called The Rosie Effect.

Old 09-27-2014, 05:05 PM

4,724 posts, read 4,415,751 times
Well I did linger with THE GOOD HOUSE by Anne Leary. I really enjoyed it so much. It was a very easy read, but it really kept me hooked. Lots of humor but a great story (and towards the end, well I must say I NEVER saw that coming

So I just started Night Circus which is definitely not typical for my type of book, but it's also quite good and has me turning the pages. I hope I can stay with it because it is very nicely written and of course a great story------I don't know why but I am not drawn to fantasy and in fact am struggling with that aspect of it------
The Night Circus: Erin Morgenstern: 8601401288732: Amazon.com: Books
I know there are lots of you on here who enjoy that genre- so please have at it!

Old 09-28-2014, 09:39 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,843,617 times
OMG, infuriating to learn from Dr. Mary's Monkey: How the Unsolved Murder of a Doctor, a Secret Laboratory in New Orleans and Cancer-Causing Monkey Viruses are Linked to Lee Harvey ... Assassination and Emerging Global Epidemics by Edward T. Haslam

Dr. Mary's Monkey: How the Unsolved Murder of a Doctor, a Secret Laboratory in New Orleans and Cancer-Causing Monkey Viruses are Linked to Lee Harvey ... Assassination and Emerging Global Epidemics: Edward T. Haslam, Jim Marrs: 8601401629382: Ama

that our nation's cancer epidemic is caused from those Polio vaccines that we were 'forced' to take as kids!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books