Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2014, 02:41 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,844,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
I started that one, but found Cascadia's Fault by Jerry Thompson to be much better written. And I think he has a better grasp of the subject. I'm still reading it because honestly, it's a lot to take in. Living here in northern California as I do....
Iwant to read that one as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2014, 04:01 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by entyss View Post
One Plus One by JoJo Moyes, great read.
If you enjoyed that one you should like Me Before You. I read them both and likes MBY better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Roses View Post

YoungLisa, the book club you mention at least has some interesting titles, I've read a couple of them. My neighbor's book club reads a lot of stuff I care nothing about, but that doesn't stop her from recommending them to me every time!
They did seem to have some good ones. I may try to go to the December meeting just to see what the people are like. Like I said it's not a mandatory meeting. If I don't like the book of the month I will just pass on that meeting

You can't blame your neighbor from trying. We all get excited when we read a book "we: like My husband's eyes glaze over when I tell him about some of my books, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Have heard great things about this book. Several holds @ our library on this one.
Try that one and also Me Before You.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
I recently finished Full Rip 9.0, recommended by i love autumn and she's right, it is very interesting if it's your type of book. Seems like the Pacific Northwest is in even greater danger than CA because the Cascadia subduction zone is immense.
Thank you both. Just one more book in my ever growing To Read pile

Old 10-04-2014, 08:39 AM

I am having trouble getting through The Skeleton Takes a Bow (Family Skeleton Mystery #2)by Leigh Perry

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...on_Mystery__2_

Sid-the skeleton is still a hoot,but unlike the first book,the pace of this one is just so slooow,and the story is just not as engaging for me.I have actually been skipping pages and yet still not finished,keep finding distractions!

I have The Emigrants (The Emigrants, #1)by Vilhelm Moberg[historical fiction]
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...om_search=true

and

Beginnings: Obsidian & Onyx (Lux, #1-2)by Jennifer L. Armentrout [YA/sci-fi/fantasy/aliens/paranormal/romance]

coming due next~ to read.

Old 10-04-2014, 10:59 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,374,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
I am having trouble getting through The Skeleton Takes a Bow (Family Skeleton Mystery #2)by Leigh Perry

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...on_Mystery__2_

Sid-the skeleton is still a hoot,but unlike the first book,the pace of this one is just so slooow,and the story is just not as engaging for me.I have actually been skipping pages and yet still not finished,keep finding distractions!

I have The Emigrants (The Emigrants, #1)by Vilhelm Moberg[historical fiction]

and

Beginnings: Obsidian & Onyx (Lux, #1-2)by Jennifer L. Armentrout [YA/sci-fi/fantasy/aliens/paranormal/romance]

coming due next~ to read.
I was curious about the Obsidian and Onyx titles and went to Amazon and Obsidian is free today so I downloaded it to my Kindle.

Old 10-04-2014, 01:54 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
Im currently reading "the girl who came home " a novel of the titanic ..by hazel gaynor . so far it is good .

Old 10-04-2014, 05:21 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,486,905 times
I'm reading The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie. Yeah I know it's a teen book, but the school district here took it off the supplemental reading list because a bunch of parents complained, and I want to see what's so terribly horrible about it.

Before that, I read the first 3 in the Dexter series.

Old 10-04-2014, 06:05 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
So many of you -- okay, a few of you; okay, Ketabcha and someone else -- talked about it so highly, so I got The Good House by Ann Leary. (I love her husband, Denis, by the way. Rescue Me was a fabulous TV series. I digress.) I'm on chapter 5. I have a terrible headache. Those two statements are not related -- it's the rainy weather, I think, that's making my head throb like there's a jackhammer in there. The book is good so far. Not my normal fare, but I'm enjoying the lightness of it.

Old 10-05-2014, 03:12 AM

Ok,I finally gave up on "The Skeleton Takes A Bow" about 1/4 from the end,was just too tired of being bored to sleep!

Then I tried~The Emigrants (The Emigrant Novels / Vilhelm Moberg, Book 1) by Vilhelm Moberg which had too much god-talk and religion ,so then I tried ~Lux: Beginnings (Obsidian & Onyx) (A Lux Novel) by Jennifer L. Armentrout which was just too much 'trash-talking' snarky teens for my taste ,

and now I am reading~ Skinwalkers (Navajo Mysteries Book 7) by Tony Hillerman which is the first of Hillerman's books where Officer Jim Chee of the Navajo Tribal Police and partner Lt. Joe Leaphorn are brought together. Hoping this will be much better.

Old 10-05-2014, 10:25 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,625,671 times
Just invested some serious time to read the extended/updated version of Stephen King's "The Stand"... Mind was blown. Amazing.

Old 10-05-2014, 01:57 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,368,233 times
Had heard some buzz about this in past few months, and it was actually as good as the hype made it sound.
Finished it in two days: "Life, Animated: A Story of Sidekicks, Heroes, and Autism" by Ron Suskind (2014).
It's 350 pages & flew by, really drew me in with both the story itself (of the author's son) and by how well-written it was.

The theme is finding a language/affinity/special interest that makes sense to a person with autism,
which that person then uses to learn all sorts of other (broader, interpersonal, less stereotyped/predictable) things.
In this instance, it was Disney films & their characters, plots, themes, and dialogue.
It was very much a narrow repetitive fixation for the boy in question, but the parents went with it (and engaged with him through it)-
and eventually it did lead to greater development and complexity of thought, feeling, behavior, and expression.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books