Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2009, 08:30 PM

837 posts, read 1,698,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunky View Post
I stuck with Guernsey. It was a pleasant enough read; although, I predicted the ending about halfway through. Bringing Remy to the island was unnecessary.
I did like this book, but I will say the quality of the story declined towards the end--predictable as you said. I liked the historical aspects of the story--I had not known that part of England was occupied by the Nazis during WWII. It sounded pretty bad with the shortages of food and everything else. And I liked how the characters revealed themselves through their letters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 08:41 PM

837 posts, read 1,698,381 times
I'm currently reading "In Defense of Food" and "The End of Overeating" (Trying to get in the mood to eat a bit healthier.) I loved Michael Pollen's "The Omnivore's Dilemna." "In Defense of Food" is more about how there is so little unprocessed food left in our grocery stores. Also discusses the political influence of the Food Industry on the government regulations that affect Food products and labels.

I've just started "The End of Overeating" and it looks very interesting. Written by a former FDA commissioner who also has something to say about how the profit motive of the Food Industry has changed the way Americans eat.

Old 06-09-2009, 10:11 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,323,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treeluvr View Post
Poisonwood Bible is certainly one of my favorites.--Your post reminded me of the time I had just finished reading "Crime and Punishment" and gave it to a friend to read. She gave it back to me after a few weeks saying that she had tried several times to read it and then just said "Why"? and gave up.

The book she gave me in exchange was something by Mary Higgins Clark--I couldn't read it either . Different strokes---
Oh dear. I guess so!

I have a friend who gives me signed first editions by Jacqueline Mitchard (they are good friends). I tried, believe me...but aside from Deep End of the Ocean I just. can't. get. thru. them.

Old 06-09-2009, 10:14 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,323,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treeluvr View Post
I did like this book, but I will say the quality of the story declined towards the end--predictable as you said. I liked the historical aspects of the story--I had not known that part of England was occupied by the Nazis during WWII. It sounded pretty bad with the shortages of food and everything else. And I liked how the characters revealed themselves through their letters.
Indeed. I was facinated with the history. I'd like to visit the Channel Islands someday.

Old 06-09-2009, 10:24 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,711,405 times
Just Finished the Friday Night Knitting Club and Tex. Now I'm scouring around the house looking for something to read that looks interesting.

Old 06-10-2009, 02:51 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,134,511 times
Reading Molon Labe' by Boston T. Party

Old 06-10-2009, 05:09 AM

985 posts, read 2,594,439 times
Roy Kesey's All Over.

Old 06-10-2009, 08:23 AM

2,733 posts, read 1,537,849 times
Default Books I'm Reading

I am reading Devil in the Details by Jennifer Traig. The next two books I'll read are The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls and TheCommitment by Dan Savage. I also finished The Road by Cormac McCarthy, and I think it is a great book!

Old 06-10-2009, 10:25 AM

7,084 posts, read 12,012,376 times
Wells, H. G. - The New Machiavelli

Fantastically interesting book. Even though he grew up in the late Victorian era, it's amazing how similar human behavior and economic conditions are. He details how there was a big run up in housing quantity/prices, often with people who were given generous loans without checking the ability to repay, leading to a widespread economic hardship and foreclosures on the new construction...

Old 06-10-2009, 07:36 PM

42,618 posts, read 86,577,260 times
I don't think I had ever read Philip Roth before, so I read "Indignation", I'm not sure what to say about it. I think it is more daring than literate. But it kept me engrossed, and I read it quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books