Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2014, 08:30 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_Cabbie View Post
Just invested some serious time to read the extended/updated version of Stephen King's "The Stand"... Mind was blown. Amazing.
The extended version is one very big book, isn't it. In my opinion The Stand (including the extended version) is King's best book ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2014, 07:54 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
I'm reading The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie. Yeah I know it's a teen book, but the school district here took it off the supplemental reading list because a bunch of parents complained, and I want to see what's so terribly horrible about it.

Before that, I read the first 3 in the Dexter series.
I liked The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian so much that I've read it twice and I rarely do that.

I finished Gideon's Trumpet. It was somehow simultaneously interesting and boring. The story was interesting but the tone of the book was professorial and textbook-ish. But it wasn't very long so I made it to the end.

Last night I started An Invisible Thread by Laura Schroff and Alex Tresniowski. I think I heard of it on here. Anyway, it's a memoir by a woman who was very successful in advertising sales she when happened to strike up a friendship with a poor and neglected 11-year-old boy in NYC. I'm not that far into it, but apparently they've remained friends for years. The writing is very Parade Magazine style, but I'm interested in the story so I'll give it a go.

Old 10-06-2014, 10:01 AM

2,453 posts, read 3,604,506 times
Quote:
Just invested some serious time to read the extended/updated version of Stephen King's "The Stand"... Mind was blown. Amazing.
I have to agree that I think The Stand was King's best work, though it got kind of crazy and disjointed before it ended. But that's true of most of his work. He's such an excellent writer and I've wondered if he would have achieved the same level of success without the horror aspect. Doubtful, but I've always thought it was a pity that his work rarely stood alone apart from the horror/supernatural. I've never read the updated edition but doubt that I would want to anymore. His books and I parted ways many years ago.

Old 10-06-2014, 11:08 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
finally finished " the girl who came home " a novel of the titanic and it was good at least I thought it was . if you interested in the titanic I would recommend it .

Old 10-06-2014, 11:52 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
finally finished " the girl who came home " a novel of the titanic and it was good at least I thought it was . if you interested in the titanic I would recommend it .
I might have gotten this one for my Kindle not too long ago. I thought it sounded good. Good to hear a positive review of it.

Old 10-06-2014, 12:25 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
It took me six weeks to read all three volumes of Karl Ove Knausgaard's "My Struggle". It was worth it, although not quite as good as I had expected it to be. (There are three more volumes that remain to be translated into English from the original Norwegian.) It is not necessary to read the books in order, each one can stand alone. They are a brilliant first-person insight into the honest depths of the heart and soul of a gifted writer who, in most respects, is just like all the rest of us..

I had asked my library to get them for me, and after reading the available reviews, they bought all three to put in their collection. This is an important book, read it now to be on the cutting edge, before Hollywood makes it into a crappy movie that everybody talks about on the daytime talk shows.

Old 10-06-2014, 01:34 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,666,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
The extended version is one very big book, isn't it. In my opinion The Stand (including the extended version) is King's best book ever.
Good Lawdy, it's 1213 pages. It's only $5.16 for Kindle:

The Stand - Kindle edition by Stephen King. Literature & Fiction Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.

Old 10-06-2014, 01:40 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Okay. So. I just finished The Good House by Ann Leary. Despite loving her husband, Denis, I was fully prepared to hate this book. I was fully prepared to give up on it early on. Neither of those things happened. I won't bother talking about how it's lighter fare than I typically enjoy, that I don't like "funny" books, because this book wasn't completely light (it was just written with a light [and lovely] touch) and the "funny" was quite funny in a sarcastic, dry way (my favorite type of humor).

The main reason that I really (really!) liked this book was because I absolutely LOVED Hildy. I can't remember the last book that I read in which a character seemed so real to me. I know people like her. I *am* people like her sometimes. I wanted to hug her (y'know... I mean... if she'd *let* me) so many times. Ann Leary drew a fabulous character in Hildy. LOVE!

Next up: The Obituary Writer by Ann Hood.

Old 10-06-2014, 01:44 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,429,770 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
And my favorite all-time book I've ever read. And read. And read.
I have 4 different bindings/versions. Had 5, but that one fell apart, LOL
And the mini-series for the TV. I can quote lines

Guess I should get the Kindle version, right?

Old 10-06-2014, 01:47 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,810,279 times
The Stand is my favorite Stephen King book with Thinner being a close second.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books