Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2014, 08:22 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,700,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
It took me six weeks to read all three volumes of Karl Ove Knausgaard's "My Struggle". It was worth it, although not quite as good as I had expected it to be. (There are three more volumes that remain to be translated into English from the original Norwegian.) It is not necessary to read the books in order, each one can stand alone. They are a brilliant first-person insight into the honest depths of the heart and soul of a gifted writer who, in most respects, is just like all the rest of us..

I had asked my library to get them for me, and after reading the available reviews, they bought all three to put in their collection. This is an important book, read it now to be on the cutting edge, before Hollywood makes it into a crappy movie that everybody talks about on the daytime talk shows.
jtur88, when I grow up I want to read like you do. Most of the books you describe are intriguing, but intimidating to me. Nevertheless I read some reviews of the first book in the series and may give it a try.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2014, 10:04 AM

2,453 posts, read 3,604,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
For slim pickings, you just added two -- the last two that you listed -- to my "to read" list. Thanks, I guess. (No, really... thanks. You can never be too rich, be too thin [please!], or have too many books.
Dawn, you're right and that's why I referred to slim pickings! I like to come home from the library with enough books to last about three weeks and here I am going back in just one week. I hope you like the two I enjoyed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Actually, in general that's one of the main things I like about being in a book group.

If you're interested, I posted a review on Goodreads and on my blog:

Rational Resistance: What an awful, awful family.
Jack, I like a good dysfunctional family novel as well as the next guy, but even I would balk at fifty pages of stream-of-consciousness! You write an excellent review, by the way, though Styron is not my cup of tea.

Old 10-07-2014, 11:49 AM

777 posts, read 1,336,319 times
I'm STILL reading A Wrinkle in Time. I say still, because I've been reading it for about 3 months now. I saw it on a book shelf and it stood out like something I thought I had read as a kid. It sounded so familiar. So I figured I'd read (or re-read) it as an adult, and bleh. 75% done with it now though.

Old 10-07-2014, 05:25 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,016,638 times
I was around the halfway point of Bastard Out of Carolina and I had to give it up. I have a very difficult time reading about physical abuse against a child, but once you throw in sexual abuse, I get close to vomiting and my heart feels too heavy for my soul. It's referred to as a modern classic and I'm not refuting that -- it's just not for me.

ETA: After reading a few reviews, it turns out that this book is somewhat autobiographical, so I'm doubly happy that I gave it up. A novel with that sort of abuse is hard enough to stomach. Based on real-life events is just impossible for me to take.

I'm going to start The Sixteenth of June next. Maybe not tonight, but next.

Old 10-07-2014, 10:34 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,604,049 times
Quote:
I was around the halfway point of Bastard Out of Carolina and I had to give it up. I have a very difficult time reading about physical abuse against a child, but once you throw in sexual abuse, I get close to vomiting and my heart feels too heavy for my soul. It's referred to as a modern classic and I'm not refuting that -- it's just not for me.

ETA: After reading a few reviews, it turns out that this book is somewhat autobiographical, so I'm doubly happy that I gave it up. A novel with that sort of abuse is hard enough to stomach. Based on real-life events is just impossible for me to take.

I'm going to start The Sixteenth of June next. Maybe not tonight, but next.
I don't blame you. When I'm skimming summaries of books I scan for those words, sexual abuse, violence, gritty, disturbing, etc. They go back on the shelf. Not for me.

Old 10-08-2014, 01:08 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,843,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Roses View Post
I don't blame you. When I'm skimming summaries of books I scan for those words, sexual abuse, violence, gritty, disturbing, etc. They go back on the shelf. Not for me.

That's so me too,I also watch for mention of profanity or vulgar language. I can tolerate occasional scattered curses,but not continuous cursing,or the 'F' bombs and god's name in vain[even though I am no longer Christian,I still don't like to hear/read it], also avoid too much god-talk- proselytizing.

Old 10-08-2014, 08:25 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,700,000 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Roses View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
That's so me too,I also watch for mention of profanity or vulgar language. I can tolerate occasional scattered curses,but not continuous cursing,or the 'F' bombs and god's name in vain[even though I am no longer Christian,I still don't like to hear/read it], also avoid too much god-talk- proselytizing.
Add me to this list. I know that awful things happen in the world, but I read for pleasure and entertainment and don't find stories featuring violence or abuse to be either pleasurable or entertaining. Occasionally those elements appear in stories that I otherwise like, but if it's the main theme, no thank you.

For that same reason, I rarely read crime thrillers anymore. I had to stop and ask myself if I really wanted to read another story about a serial killer victimizing people. A true mystery, or a courtroom drama, ok. But I stay away from books where murder and its aftermath is the main premise.

Old 10-08-2014, 09:01 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,843,617 times
Originally Posted by Marlow
Quote:
For that same reason, I rarely read crime thrillers anymore. I had to stop and ask myself if I really wanted to read another story about a serial killer victimizing people. A true mystery, or a courtroom drama, ok. But I stay away from books where murder and its aftermath is the main premise.
Oh my yes,serial killers/stalkers/kidnapping/murders are definitely on my avoid list,as well,in fact I'm even getting burnt out on the Cozy mysteries,because I just no longer want to read a book where the focus is on murder!

I would much rather read a non-murder mystery.

Old 10-08-2014, 03:01 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,598,575 times
Has anyone else read Euphoria yet? It's (fiction) about 3 anthropologists in New Guinea in the 30s, and is very loosely based on Margaret Meade's experiences.

I don't know that I loved the book, exactly, but I could SO see it as a really good movie. It's very visual. I hope that if it hasn't been optioned for film yet that it will be. If Mel Gibson is allowed to do anything anymore he would do a really good job with it, or some of the British directors and film companies.

Old 10-08-2014, 05:01 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,205 times
Just finished listening to "Puppets" by Daniel Hecht, read by Jason Collins

This is my first non-Cree Black of Hecht's titles, and I admit that parts of it left me squeamish -- large parts, but I think that was the point. Hecht twists and contorts his readers' minds as he does his characters. I'm not an expert on the psychological thrillers, so I don't know how this work compares, the content was disturbing. At the end, when the antagonist was asked why he did what he did, he said he wanted people to wake up and to do that he had to repulse them.

He succeeded.

I still like reading the murder mysteries for the simple reason that they get SOLVED. In a world where so little makes sense anymore and suffering seems to be the standard fare for the majority of the world's population, I like reading that the bad guy/gal gets caught and gets their comeuppance. But that's just me.

PS: Dawn: I wish I'd read all the entries on this thread before going out to check out "Bastard out of Carolina," but if you and netwit were reading it I just assumed.... and we know how THAT ends.

Downloaded -- and now deleting!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books