Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2014, 06:20 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,362,798 times

Advertisements

I got about 1/3 of the way through Rescue at Dead Dog Beach and had to give up. The descriptions of brutal, sadistic torture done by many of the local people to so many dogs was more than I could take. The author was threatened over and over again and robbed twice (so far).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2014, 06:00 AM

20,549 posts, read 30,338,292 times
I just finished Unbroken and thought it was am amazing and heartbreaking book about what war does to people on all sides. Louie was an amazing person who was a true survivor even after hitting bottom. I do wish there was more to the story "after" the war though.

Now for something light I am halfway through The Mirror and I can't wait to see how it all comes together

Old 10-09-2014, 09:42 AM

2,453 posts, read 3,592,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
I just finished Unbroken and thought it was am amazing and heartbreaking book about what war does to people on all sides. Louie was an amazing person who was a true survivor even after hitting bottom. I do wish there was more to the story "after" the war though.

Now for something light I am halfway through The Mirror and I can't wait to see how it all comes together
Is that the Marlys Millhiser one? I remember reading that in the late '70s and I had never read anything like it before. It was fun and fanciful back in the day. My BFF and I thought it was so romantic. We were young and fanciful too.

Old 10-09-2014, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Roses View Post
Is that the Marlys Millhiser one? I remember reading that in the late '70s and I had never read anything like it before. It was fun and fanciful back in the day. My BFF and I thought it was so romantic. We were young and fanciful too.
Yes that is the one. I heard about it here I like it.

Old 10-09-2014, 11:15 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,827,961 times
I could only make it about halfway through "The Jade Peony". It had some interesting cultural info about a Chinese family in Vancouver,BC,but just too depressing not loving at all except for between the girl and her grandfather,profanity and sexual talk too,so I decided to read "A Man Called Ove: A Novel" by Fredrik Backman that was suggested by someone here,and I immediately put it on reserve. I am loving it so far.

Old 10-09-2014, 11:46 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,023,177 times
I think I must be in a reading rut right now cause I really cant find anything good to read .

Old 10-09-2014, 12:19 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,341,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I think I must be in a reading rut right now cause I really cant find anything good to read .
I hate when that happens. I hate when I have a lot I want to read but I have so much other stuff going on I can hardly find the time. Any specific genre sound good to you? Maybe we can give you some ideas?

Old 10-09-2014, 12:22 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,341,345 times
If anyone likes Christian fiction, historical, this is free today only: Courting Trouble - Kindle edition by Deeanne Gist. Religion & Spirituality Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.

I liked this one and the sequel to it as well.

Old 10-09-2014, 02:27 PM

8,752 posts, read 9,442,389 times
I've done a lot of reading over the past month, partly listening to books on CD.

Most recent:
American Dervish, by Ayad Akhtar...Very interesting story of a young man finding his way trying to understand much about his muslim beliefs his Americanization, his growing pains and traditions in the Islamic community as he continues exploring and asking important questions.

A free Life, Ha Jin.....Mostly interesting a bit more detail and way longer than needed to be. A story of an immigrant family's adjustment to life living between two worlds, finding their American dream and discovering just what that reality entails and means to different people who come and go from their live.

Presently I'm in the middle of reading:
Perfect Peace, by, Daniel Black. So far so good, very poignant story of family and a mother whom after haven birth six boys, wanted a daughter so bad, she decides right at the birth of the 7th child this one she will raise as a girl and blackmails the midwife into keeping the secret. The mother does tell the child his true gender when he's around 8 ((mentioned on the book jacket,) and I gather the real journey begins. I'm only in till page 50 something, but looking forward to seeing how the rest of this plays out.

Next read:
The Shell Seekers, by Rosamunde Pilcher. Recommended by another reader will see if it holds my attention right after I'm through reading,Perfect Peace.

Old 10-10-2014, 05:46 AM

I am almost finished with The Mirror. I really hope it doesn't leave me hanging, lol.

Next up…The Plum Tree by Ellen Marie Wiseman. I really need to get away from WWll for a bit, lol. It seems so many of my books from the past two years are set during that time.

I just found a new book that looks different but fun. Has anyone ever read Cinnamon and Gunpowder by Eli Brown?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books