Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2014, 06:47 AM

13,400 posts, read 28,719,321 times

Advertisements

Just finished Fall of Giants by Ken Follet.
Enjoyed so much I am jumping right into the second book in the Century trilogy Winter of the World

These books are pushing over 800 pages, usually don't like books that long
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2014, 08:04 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
A couple of weeks ago I was on my way to an appointment where I thought I'd wait awhile and I'd forgotten my book. Oh the horror! So I stopped at a grocery store and looked over the meager offerings, finally settling on Sycamore Row by John Grisham. The only John Grisham book I've ever liked was A Time to Kill and Sycamore Row is a sequel.

As it turned out I didn't have to wait at all at the appointment so I didn't start the book til last night. Sad to say, it is very disappointing. My first thought was that he doesn't have characters, he has caricatures. The gum-snapping, know-it-all waitress, the uncool lawyers who only talk about interest rates and world politics while the cool protagonist lawyer hangs out with the working people discussing agriculture and plumbing. The wise, good-hearted black sheriff who looks out for the cool lawyer because he got an acquittal for a black guy three years previously.

Also, it's managed to be inconsistent in the first 40 pages, first describing a guy as reclusive and not very well known and then saying everyone in town knew he had lung cancer.

Normally I would just toss it aside but I paid full price for the doggone thing and I want to wring some literary goodness out of it. I'm not very hopeful.

Old 10-10-2014, 08:12 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,374,594 times
I finished Mudbound by Hillary Jordan and it was a good but tough read. Most of the story takes place in rural Mississippi in the years just after WWII and the attitudes and treatment of African Americans was not much different than during slavery as far as I can tell. There are 6 main characters and the story unfolds as each tells some of what occurs.

Next up something much lighter than the last two - The Love Dog by Elsa Watson, due back to the library in two days. Then I'd best get going on a couple of e-books from the library before they disappear from my Kindle.

Old 10-10-2014, 11:00 AM

2,453 posts, read 3,604,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
A couple of weeks ago I was on my way to an appointment where I thought I'd wait awhile and I'd forgotten my book. Oh the horror! So I stopped at a grocery store and looked over the meager offerings, finally settling on Sycamore Row by John Grisham. The only John Grisham book I've ever liked was A Time to Kill and Sycamore Row is a sequel.

As it turned out I didn't have to wait at all at the appointment so I didn't start the book til last night. Sad to say, it is very disappointing. My first thought was that he doesn't have characters, he has caricatures. The gum-snapping, know-it-all waitress, the uncool lawyers who only talk about interest rates and world politics while the cool protagonist lawyer hangs out with the working people discussing agriculture and plumbing. The wise, good-hearted black sheriff who looks out for the cool lawyer because he got an acquittal for a black guy three years previously.

Also, it's managed to be inconsistent in the first 40 pages, first describing a guy as reclusive and not very well known and then saying everyone in town knew he had lung cancer.

Normally I would just toss it aside but I paid full price for the doggone thing and I want to wring some literary goodness out of it. I'm not very hopeful.
Hmm, I seem to remember liking Sycamore Row, or maybe that was The Painted House? LOL, I can't remember! I always think that Grisham's element is actually film since his legal thrillers translate to that medium so well. Anyway, I hope you get the full price out of your book!

Old 10-10-2014, 02:00 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,535,926 times
Just finished "Clinton, Inc." Loved it, an "educational" political "thriller".

Old 10-10-2014, 04:38 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
I hate when that happens. I hate when I have a lot I want to read but I have so much other stuff going on I can hardly find the time. Any specific genre sound good to you? Maybe we can give you some ideas?

well I really like books like One thousand white women " which is an awesome book if you have never read that , it goes out to everyone who has not read it . I loved it . I like ones like that .

Old 10-10-2014, 04:58 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
October is my month for ghost stories and I've got a few to choose from, because I cannot take anything too gross and don't like vampires at all.

I found "The Fate of Mercy Alban" by Wendy Webb in my library's downloads offerings and have been listening to it while working on quilt related activities (cutting fabrics, sewing together squares, etc). I'm loving it. It's sweet and scary and has layers of mysteries -- and the ghosts aren't gross (so far).

At the rate I am listening to it, I will probably have time for a couple more before All Hallowed's Eve arrives.

Old 10-10-2014, 05:41 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,604,049 times
No ghost stories for me anymore - there are some I still can't forget and it has been 40 years since I read them. The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson is considered one of the best literary ghost stories of the Twentieth Century. Never again. Throw in a bit of H.P. Lovecraft and I am thoroughly creeped out.

Old 10-10-2014, 09:23 PM

3 posts, read 3,333 times
Anyone read This is Your Brain On Music? It's a pretty interesting...

Old 10-10-2014, 10:38 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
I always say that I "should" re-read some of my favorites. In fact, I have a little (not so little) list of them. I never do. I glance at the list, think to myself "some day," and move onto something else.

I've hit a rut -- nothing that I've started has kept me interested enough to finish -- so I'm changing "should" to "will" and I'm going to read not one, but two of my favorites this weekend while I'm home with a cold.

I didn't choose these alphabetically from my list. No, not at all. It's merely a coincidence that they both have "Alice" in the title, both are short (especially the Trillin one), and both made me cry (again, especially the Trillin one). Actually, I remember there was a line in Calvin Trillin's About Alice that had me sobbing. I want to find that sentence again.

Amazon.com: About Alice eBook: Calvin Trillin: Kindle Store

Still Alice - Kindle edition by Lisa Genova. Literature & Fiction Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books