Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2014, 01:15 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,428,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
well I really like books like One thousand white women " which is an awesome book if you have never read that , it goes out to everyone who has not read it . I loved it . I like ones like that .
Have you read the "Butter in the Well" series?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2014, 01:49 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Have you read the "Butter in the Well" series?
No I have not but I will look at it thanks so much for the recommendation.

Old 10-11-2014, 01:57 PM

well my library does not carry that series ...I hate this Podunk town any wonder why im leaving . any ways the librarys here lack highly in educational books ... another reason im going to love leaving this town and state ...soon very soon . thanks for the recommendation though gandy and will see if anyone I know has it and will trade for it most likely .

Old 10-11-2014, 02:09 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
The Yarn Harlot is great! She's written about 7-8 books now and I've been reading her blog for years....one can find it here:
Yarn Harlot. I crochet instead of knit, but still find her writing excellent.

ETA:
You all just have to go over there and read her entry for the 10th! She wrote about a great true story....
Thanks! I bookmarked it.

Okay, so I finished "The Fate of Mercy Alban" and loved it to the very end. It was a good old fashioned haunted house, spooky read with no graphic gore. I hope she does more along those same lines.

Then I decided try Shirley Jackson, and downloaded her "We Have Always Lived in the Castle," on audio. I listened to the first three chapters and ditched it. (I do still have "The Haunting on the Hill" on reserve, hoping that it was just this particular work that was (for me) a dud.) I hope that one is better.

So, next up on audio: Stephen King's "The Shining." I've had mixed results with King's work. I'm hoping this is one of those I can handle.

Old 10-11-2014, 02:33 PM

Quote:
No I have not but I will look at it thanks so much for the recommendation.
Quote:
well my library does not carry that series ....
No Kindle?
I've gotten some of the series for free.
Just looked - the 1st one is Lending enabled. I could loan it to you DM me if interested, just need an email address!

Edited to add: Per Amazon - "The recipient does not need a Kindle to accept this book."

Old 10-11-2014, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor
That's an easy one: I'm a book worm and simply wiggled my way in.
On another forum, this was my avatar ...
Name:  bookworm1.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  4.7 KB

Old 10-11-2014, 04:53 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,604,049 times
Oh, score! I walked into the library and there, front and center, was a new Ruth Rendell. Didn't even look at what it's about, just grabbed it before anyone else could. The Girl Next Door is a lovely psychological novel with lots of domestic intrigue thrown in, and get this, all the characters are in their 60s and 70s! Who knew the flames of youth still burn brightly in many of them? Loved every bit of it. A bit of gruesomeness to set the stage, but never fear, you're in good hands with Ruth Rendell and she never takes it too far.

Next up was Mr. Tall, by Tony Earley, a collection of short stories and a novella. The stories were wonderful - intriguing, thought-provoking, and one made me laugh so hard I thought the neighbors might hear me! Lovely, until I got to the novella. It seemed as though the author either wrote it when he was drunk or perhaps on a psychedelic high as the tone changed completely. Most astonishing. I slogged through it and was no more intrigued at the end than at the beginning. But the short stories were gems and I was so happy I'd picked this one up.

Gandalara, I like your avatar!

Old 10-11-2014, 05:06 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,765,227 times
^^^ Thanks for reminding me of Ruth Rendell.... She rarely, if never, disappoints.

Old 10-11-2014, 05:43 PM

8,665 posts, read 5,843,617 times
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry
Quote:
Okay, so I finished "The Fate of Mercy Alban" and loved it to the very end. It was a good old fashioned haunted house,
spooky read with no graphic gore. I hope she does more along those same lines.
Ohhh that sounds so good for this Halloween Season,I am reserving it, and her others that sounded good on her Amazon page.
The Vanishing, and her debut novel~The Tale of Halcyon Crane: A Novel.... all by Wendy Webb.

Old 10-11-2014, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry

Ohhh that sounds so good for this Halloween Season,I am reserving it, and her others that sounded good on her Amazon page.
The Vanishing, and her debut novel~The Tale of Halcyon Crane: A Novel.... all by Wendy Webb.

I hated that tale of halcyon crane book ugh sorry LOL ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books