Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2014, 07:27 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
No Kindle?
I've gotten some of the series for free.
Just looked - the 1st one is Lending enabled. I could loan it to you DM me if interested, just need an email address!

Edited to add: Per Amazon - "The recipient does not need a Kindle to accept this book."

No Im dirt poor no kindle and Im saving to move out of state thank God ...so thanks anyways take care gandalara.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2014, 07:44 PM

997 posts, read 1,060,655 times
Just started the new Stuart Woods, Paris Match. His books are a guilty pleasure of mine.

Old 10-12-2014, 01:07 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
I'm reading a series that is post apocalyptic. Books of this genre are my "go-to" books in between what I usually read. The series is under the umbrella of Adrian's Undead Diary by Chris Philbrook. The author is such a cool guy. His asides are just spectacular.

He referred to one person as "urgently ambivalent." That made me laugh out loud. I'm going to start working that into conversations.

I'm really enjoying these book and I'm averaging 2 books every 3 days. They are over 300 pages but not much over. Yeah, they are zombie books. I confess to loving zombie books.

Old 10-12-2014, 06:38 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
... her others that sounded good on her Amazon page.
The Vanishing, and her debut novel~The Tale of Halcyon Crane: A Novel.... all by Wendy Webb.
Thanks, Autumn. I don't know why I didn't think to look at her other works!

Going to check, now!

Old 10-12-2014, 07:48 AM

4,794 posts, read 12,372,574 times
Starting reading The Outlander. So far, so good. The woman knows how to spin a tale. The Starz TV show, which I haven't seen based on the book, sort of motivated me to pick this up.

Old 10-12-2014, 12:30 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,367,511 times
“Animal Madness: How Anxious Dogs, Compulsive Parrots, and Elephants in Recovery Help Us Understand Ourselves†by Laurel Braitman (2014).

Intellectually, the ideas author discusses appeal to me (how humans and animals share emotional responses & disturbed behaviors).
Not sure I'll make it through whole book because sad/suffering animals cause me vicarious agony & I have to stop reading.
Hoping it doesn't dwell too much on that sort of description, though.

Old 10-13-2014, 04:16 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,843,617 times
A Man called Ove was just ok for me.Ove is the book's narrator and it is funny as he details his thoughts as he tries to commit suicide after the death of his wife,but keeps getting interrupted!

I was actually stunned when I discovered that he had been married,because I already thoroughly disliked him by then!I can't imagine anyone suffering through life married to such a person with OCD.

The book was funny,but also sad, and it felt too repetitious.I'm sure part of the problem was that I just did not like or care about the character of Ove.

I kept thinking how awful it must have been for his wife to have lived with such a person,and wondering what could possibly induce anyone to marry someone like him!

I'm afraid this is another that I couldn't bring myself to finish! Wow, there has been a lot of those lately.

Now I am about 1/2 of the way through Down a Dark Hall by Lois Duncan and it is quite engaging and creepy.

Last edited by i_love_autumn; 10-13-2014 at 04:26 AM..

Old 10-13-2014, 06:36 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
A Man called Ove was just ok for me. ... I'm afraid this is another that I couldn't bring myself to finish! Wow, there has been a lot of those lately.

Now I am about 1/2 of the way through Down a Dark Hall by Lois Duncan and it is quite engaging and creepy.
I know what you mean. I don't know if I am well on my way to Attention Deficeit Disorder, or the books being published are just meant for a different audience. I've left 33 books unfinished since I started tracking them in July 29, 2012.

Thanks for the recommend on "Down a Dark Hall." I've reserved it on my library's downloadables.

Old 10-13-2014, 07:45 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
I gave up on Sycamore Row by John Grisham. Boring, one-dimensional characters with an extremely predictable plot.

I picked up Scorpions by Noah Feldman which is a biography of four of the Supreme Court justices appointed by Franklin Roosevelt and the influence they had on modern society. I wear my geek mantle proudly.

Old 10-13-2014, 07:59 AM

318 posts, read 609,238 times
"Mine!" by S.E. Robinson. About 3/4 through the book and will finish tonight. Basically, it's about a serial killer who, after dispatching his latest victim, triggers the wrath of another, wiser one who had selected that same person as theirs. Great read so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books