Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2014, 08:34 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
well I really like books like One thousand white women " which is an awesome book if you have never read that , it goes out to everyone who has not read it . I loved it . I like ones like that .
I liked that one too. I also enjoyed The Wild Girl by Mr. Ferguson. I feel stumped as to what to recommend. Hmmmmmmm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2014, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
Starting reading The Outlander. So far, so good. The woman knows how to spin a tale. The Starz TV show, which I haven't seen based on the book, sort of motivated me to pick this up.
Love that series! Haven't watched the Starz production yet though.

Old 10-13-2014, 08:38 AM

Last week I finished The Bright Forever by Lee Martin. Wow. What a book. It was so engrossing and so real. I came across it at Goodwill and just liked the cover and title. There wasn't much description to go with it, but enough to intrigue me. I am glad I got it. Great read.

This weekend I read The Infinite Sea By Rick Yancey, the sequel to The 5th Wave. A fast read, a good YA dystopian series.

Phonelady, have you read These Is My Words by Nancy E. Turner or The Diary of Mattie Spenser by Sandra Dallas? I enjoyed both of those myself.

Old 10-13-2014, 10:41 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,844,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I know what you mean. I don't know if I am well on my way to Attention Deficeit Disorder, or the books being published are just meant for a different audience. I've left 33 books unfinished since I started tracking them in July 29, 2012.

Thanks for the recommend on "Down a Dark Hall." I've reserved it on my library's downloadables.

Haha,I don't even know how many books I quit reading before I finished because I don't keep track of those,I just know that it seems like a lot lately.

I have to really be engaged,or I just give up anymore.

I love it when I can't wait to get back to a book,that I have had to lay down for some reason.Unfortunately, that hasn't happened too often recently.

Yep, I am enjoying Down A Dark Hall, but I'm in a mood for 'spooky' reads right now,and I love creepy boarding school thrillers.

Old 10-13-2014, 11:08 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I put this on hold at the library and also wanted to mention to some who may have not read it .
I hope you like The Plum Tree. I really enjoyed the story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
A Man called Ove was just ok for me.Ove is the book's narrator and it is funny as he details his thoughts as he tries to commit suicide after the death of his wife,but keeps getting interrupted!

I was actually stunned when I discovered that he had been married,because I already thoroughly disliked him by then!I can't imagine anyone suffering through life married to such a person with OCD.

The book was funny,but also sad, and it felt too repetitious.I'm sure part of the problem was that I just did not like or care about the character of Ove.

I kept thinking how awful it must have been for his wife to have lived with such a person,and wondering what could possibly induce anyone to marry someone like him!

I'm afraid this is another that I couldn't bring myself to finish! Wow, there has been a lot of those lately.

I have that on my list. Maybe it will be one we disagree on, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgelessStranger View Post
"Mine!" by S.E. Robinson. About 3/4 through the book and will finish tonight. Basically, it's about a serial killer who, after dispatching his latest victim, triggers the wrath of another, wiser one who had selected that same person as theirs. Great read so far.
I love fiction serial killer books

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
Last week I finished The Bright Forever by Lee Martin. Wow. What a book. It was so engrossing and so real. I came across it at Goodwill and just liked the cover and title. There wasn't much description to go with it, but enough to intrigue me. I am glad I got it. Great read.

This weekend I read The Infinite Sea By Rick Yancey, the sequel to The 5th Wave. A fast read, a good YA dystopian series.

Phonelady, have you read These Is My Words by Nancy E. Turner or The Diary of Mattie Spenser by Sandra Dallas? I enjoyed both of those myself.
Ooh some good ones thanks

I am just starting Miss Julia Speaks Her Mind (Miss Julia #1) by Ann B. Ross. I am hoping for a spunky lady in a quirky southern novel. I hope I won't be disappointed.

Old 10-13-2014, 11:08 AM

FYI: On sale for 99 cents this week (according to bookbub): http://www.amazon.com/My-Heart-Remem...okbubemailc-20 I love her books and this is one of my top 2 of hers.

Old 10-13-2014, 11:46 AM

1,163 posts, read 1,236,301 times
just started reading Jobs for Travel Lovers...which is a great travel industry read

Old 10-13-2014, 11:54 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,139,402 times
The Hot Zone by Richard Preston. Nonfiction about the 1989 Virginia ebola-reston outbreak.

1989 ebola-reston outbreak

Ebola Reston Outbreaks, web.stanford.edu/

Old 10-13-2014, 11:56 AM

13,622 posts, read 10,024,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
No more room for checkouts, but put it on my TRL. Thanks!
Not quite as funny as Mrs Fry's Diary, but, not bad. Mrs Fry's Diary, I'd definitely recommend.

Old 10-13-2014, 11:57 AM

4,794 posts, read 12,372,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgelessStranger View Post
"Mine!" by S.E. Robinson. About 3/4 through the book and will finish tonight. Basically, it's about a serial killer who, after dispatching his latest victim, triggers the wrath of another, wiser one who had selected that same person as theirs. Great read so far.
That sounds so bent, so evil, I may just have to pick that one up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books