Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2014, 05:53 AM

8 posts, read 7,832 times

Advertisements

Silkworm by Robert Galbraith
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2014, 08:39 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,350,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
That was a cute book. I didn't like the end though. Have you tried Whale Talk? I liked that one a little more.
I have not but my library has it. The ebook was available so I borrowed it. I'll let you know.

I am reading Chasing Windmills by Catherne Ryan Hyde. I am not very far into it yet. Yesterday I finished Zac & Mia by AJ Betts (Australian YA) about 2 kids with cancer. I enjoyed that one as well.

Old 10-15-2014, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Roses View Post
Yes, they're so different. I remarked to my 13-year-old granddaughter that they know so much now compared to when I was 13. She said, "Well, you lived in like medieval times."
Medieval times. LOL! How extreme compared to reality. Kids!

Old 10-15-2014, 08:43 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,697,090 times
"Lucky Us" by Amy Bloom. I am enjoying it quite a lot.

Old 10-15-2014, 10:32 AM

2,453 posts, read 3,605,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
"Her Fearful Symmetry" Just started it and so far so good!
Beautifully written. Enjoy it while it lasts and I'll say no more. Wonderful writing though.

Old 10-15-2014, 11:17 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,488,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Strangely, I can read scary but it's very rare that I can actually WATCH scary.
I'm the same way! I can control the images when I read and also control the speed of the story. None of this 10 minutes of someone being stalked in their own home while I'm afraid for the character (which just happened when I tried to watch the new Stalker series on CBS but had to switch it off). I can just read faster, skim thru some, and it's over and I'm back enjoying the plot. LOL

So I can't watch a network TV show but I can read thriller/horror stuff like Dean Koontz.

Old 10-15-2014, 11:19 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,488,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
Medieval times. LOL! How extreme compared to reality. Kids!
My brother and I used to ask our parents about the Olden Days. I guess not quite as bad as Medieval Times.

Old 10-15-2014, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
My brother and I used to ask our parents about the Olden Days. I guess not quite as bad as Medieval Times.
LOL!!! I used to think of my grandparents growing up in the Olden Days. My parents not as much. I think I rather liked the idea of growing up in the 50s and 60s.

Old 10-15-2014, 12:06 PM

442 posts, read 496,434 times
Currently trying to get through Carsick by John Waters, but just 20 pages in and I do not care for his writing. So...I think it is going back to the library tonight.

Old 10-15-2014, 01:16 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,023,154 times
Okay, so I mentioned that I was in a reading rut, right? (I love alliteration.) It got so bad that I couldn't even read two books that I already know that I love (Still Alice and About Alice), but maybe that was because I had already read them and I never, ever re-read books.

So you want to know just how bad it's got? I've never read a book by Stephen King but I'm now in a full-blown SK mode. I just got Dolores Claiborne (which I'd once started and then stopped -- probably for some stupid reason, because I was told, with no uncertainty [hi, Ketabcha!], that I would love this character). Also on my Kindle are: The Green Mile (another than I once started but got drawn to something else -- I have such a short little attention span... horrible) and, because I wanted to read A Good Marriage, I got Full Dark, No Stars since that has A Good Marriage AND four other stories. I won't read the horror or paranormal ones, but some others in it could be promising.

Among the 250+ OTHER books on my Kindle, these are on my short list (god help me):
- A Man Called Ove
- Americanah (I know, LookingforMayberry... I'm shaking my head too)
- The Sleepwalker's Guide to Dancing
- Chasing the Sun
- Adultery (by Paulo Coelho or however you spell his name... and, if the reviews are an indication, I don't think I'm going to get far... when I finally try to read it)
- Lie Down in Darkness (by Styron)
- The Underground Girls of Kabul (non-fiction)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books